Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: What diameter does the RCBS mould 45-270-SAA drop at?

Boolit Master

What diameter does the RCBS mould 45-270-SAA drop at?

What diameter does the RCBS mould 45-270-SAA drop at?

I know the fresh out of the mold diameter is dependent on alloy used and the casting temperature, but maybe some members can give some examples of the diameter they got with the alloy and casting temperature they used with this mold.

Here’s what I’ve been doing:
    I’m casting for my Ruger New Vaquero’s and have used a LEE 452-255-RF-DC and a SAECO #955.

The LEE mold cast with 20:1 and sized in my Redding Lubri-sizer, it shot very well.
    I liked the LEE mold/bullet so much I bought the 6 cavity version but haven’t had time to cast with it yet.
    I just received a Lyman 4 cavity #452664 RNF mold that I am looking forward to casting with.

Last summer, using some free mystery metal with the SAECO #955.
    It dropped good example bullets at .4562” that weighed 265 grains.
    I got a lot of rounded base edges and frosting.
    Frosting is supposed to be a sign the melt is too hot and or the mold.
    I thought the high heat would not create rounded base edges just the opposite.
    The large bullet diameter was not fun to push into the .452” sizer die.
    It was very hard to to get the bullet started straight to avoid smearing out the crimp groove on one side of the bullet.
    The mystery metal didn’t help with mold fill out and my LEE hardness tester measured 7.8 to 8 BHN.
    Maybe it needs a little tin added?
    I may have to size the 955 down in 2 steps with the H&I dies.
    My LEE push sizer didn’t work very well because a lot of lead would get smeared past the bullet base edge.
    The uneven curtain of lead hanging from the base is not easy to slice off and not damage the base edge.
    Next time I cast all the SAECO 955 are going back into the furnace for a do over.
    I’ll cast just a few hundred examples to test measure and try sizing them again.
    I think the 955 bullets are for pre-war Colts with large bores.

Mine drop a nice fat .454” with cowwClick image for larger version. 

Name:	959B5A7C-3401-4867-BE90-07AF4B03C2F3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	242872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D613335E-A313-40E2-A435-B1920642C95E.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	242873
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

That is a nice looking bullet! I work with its baby brother, the 45-255-SWC. It drops a similar diameter .454 with 3% Sb 1% Sn and weighs 264 grains. New Vaquero cylinder barely contains the longish COL.

Here is the 45-255-SWC. Blemished from falling off the bench. I kind of wish I'd purchased the SAA, even though this one has been very good.

Last edited by Taterhead; 06-03-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Mine drop about 0.454" cast of range scrap or 25-1. Cast solid they are almost 285gr. With the cup point a bit lighter.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

That looks beautiful, Fred.

Boolit Master
    Too bad the manufacturers cut the mold to such a large diameter. I thought all the gun makers now bored their barrels to shoot the smaller post WW2 .451” bullet size.
    The mold makers should follow the size requirements for the modern guns or better make 2 mold sizes for old and new guns.
    I’ll need the research an alloy and or casting technique to get bullets to drop from the mold no bigger than .453” for ease of sizing down to .452”. I’d like to be able to use the crimp groove instead of having it nearly smeared away.

See http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4168598 for the N-Vaquero and SAA-270/#2 with reamed cylinders (stomp, stomp)

Boolit Master
    .454" with my alloy of range lead and tin. they drop at 285gr. I size to.452. I'm pretty sure the crimp groove would survive being sized .003" or .0015 per side. LOL. I think the mold drops them perfect.

Boolit Master
    Mine, using clip on wheel weights drops right at .454 and at 270-272 grains. I keep reading others say theirs weigh 280 plus grains but mine is spot on the advertised weight.

Boolit Master
    I just checked mine. They are at least ten years old, cast from mostly COWW and maybe some range scrap.They average .453 and weigh an average of 284 grains. I will say that they were the most accurate boolits in my Ruger Blackhawk....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?