WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's get one thing straight mdi...

Let's get one thing straight mdi...

I love lever actions...These are a few I grabbed to prove it, while I still had light today.

45 Colt no safety Rossi

45 Colt round barrel Marlin 1894 from Arizona from a since passed CASS winner that used it in the 1990s. (this one is very dear to me)

45 Colt 20" Marlin 1894 "Cowboy Carbine"

45-70 Marlin 1895 Cowboy

44 Magnum Marlin 1894 "Sporter"

And for the heck of it, this McNelly Sharps 50-70 because well...It has a lever.

Now with that out of the way, I'd say it's safe to say I'm a "lever guy". However I still stand by what I say that the lever gun has been surpassed performance wise and ease of use wise by better rifles. Can you still use them for hunting? Yes. Can you still use them to protect yourself? Well yes. Are there better options? Yes.

Same can be said about cap and ball revolvers or bow and arrows. No need to get your feelings hurt though.

This was a half serious thread Mainly just wanted an excuse to pull out some of them.
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 06-13-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Why did they put such a pronounced curve on the butt end of the stocks on some of the oldies? Seems counterintuitive and cumbersome. I’ve shot a few and thought so at least.
    Beauties by the way, thanks for sharing

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow, that sporter is sweet!!! What is the twist in that beauty??
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Hey, sweet collection! Great photos!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Ahhhhhh.. . thank you for my morning "fix"! Better than the first cup of coffee! Beautiful rifles . . . beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing! These would make great calendar photos!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Why did they put such a pronounced curve on the butt end of the stocks on some of the oldies? Seems counterintuitive and cumbersome. I’ve shot a few and thought so at least.
    Beauties by the way, thanks for sharing
    Drew P I'm not a expert on lever actions ,just a old soldier who grow up shooting them the "curve" was a sign of the times,these were designed for the saddle and attire worn back then.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    She looks sweet. I don't have a 44. Hmmm. Yea I love my Marlin levers, even have a few...

If I recall correctly it is 1:38

Made only 1300 of them and only in 1 year, 1973.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Sheesh !!! Your killing me here.... lol .. I want one!

Where the heck did you find it? Or have you had it all those years???

Sheesh !!! Your killing me here.... lol .. I want one!

Where the heck did you find it? Or have you had it all those years???
    Got it about a month ago. It was on Gunbroker for $950 I believe and I called the shop that had it for sale, gave them an offer letting them know I could save them with auction fees, paid over the phone, and they took the auction down.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Have you taken it out dancing yet??? How does it run??? Recoil? Action?

Boolit Grand Master
    I also love my lever actions. Last count, I have six. Agree with you though that modern guns are better.

When the ****, I will reach for the AR's. Playing "Cowboy" is fun but not the best option when your life is on the line. Heck, can't even justify hunting with them as the bolt action .308's are better suited.

Still love shooting them!!
    Don Verna

Have you taken it out dancing yet??? How does it run??? Recoil? Action?
    The condition of it has me thinking about not taking it out. The loading gate doesn't even have wear on it. I'm recklessly saying this, but I don't even know if it has been fired.

When I called the place my intention was to find out if it was for sale in the shop, with 0 bids I wanted to know if I could afford to not bid until the end (I didn't want to bring attention to it with any bids). He said yes it in fact was for sale in the shop and could be sold at any point, great... I asked him to look over it for me as their pictures were not near as detailed as mine, but I knew what it was.

Turns out the widow of a Marlin collector had brought in his collection for this store to sell on consignment for her. My thought is that he purchased this gun new and never fired it, however I have 0 evidence to back that up. I'm believing it and not sure if I want to shoot it or not.

The "Sporter" has a unique 22" HEAVY barrel that no other 44 Magnum has. The balance of the gun is exceptional and the action is very very different from my other Marlins. It is very...mechanic sounding and metal on metal. Almost sounds like a 12ga racking. The build quality is leaps and bounds above that of even my JM Marlins. It's an outstanding firearm!

Boolit Grand Master

Boy, I guess I really flipped his switch! Technologically speaking, yes there are more advanced firearms designs available, but to relegate millions of firearms (I won't even hazard to guess how many millions of lever guns have been manufactured or are in use today) to a "nostalgia only" category is just plain silly (and a bit ignorant). The only "ergonomically" better gun than my 44 Mag. lever gun is perhaps my 10-22. Yes, my Garand and AK are quicker to reload, in a **** situation, but 10 shots with the ability to "top off" is no reason to consider my lever gun an "antique". I can deliver a lot of lead down range almost as quickly as a Garand or AK and just as accurately (way more accurately than my AK). I could prolly go on with how much I like my 44 lever gun, but I'm reminded of the old saying about "wrestling with a pig..."
    My Anchor is holding fast!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow Stopsign... very cool.. I had heard about them being made, but never seen one in real life. Not much written about them either. Sure would be cool to take one out.. I am afraid, if I had one, it would be out in the trenches.. prolly best that I don’t have one...

Marko

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I love lever actions...These are a few I grabbed to prove it, while I still had light today.
    Stopsign - all your rifles look like hoarded safe queens. Their just pieces metal & wood if you don't shoot them.
    Including vintage falling block levers and magazine levers - I have 31 (22Rf to 50-70 and metrics) and they all have been to the range. Come on - give them the real light of day
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

You motivated me to take a picture of some
    Win Big Bore in 375 Win
    Marlin Cowboy in 38-55
    Win 1886 in 45-70

What fun

P.S. John Boy, they are shooters, I just do not drag them through the gravel and I do oil them
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Wow Stopsign... very cool.. I had heard about them being made, but never seen one in real life. Not much written about them either. Sure would be cool to take one out.. I am afraid, if I had one, it would be out in the trenches.. prolly best that I don’t have one...

Marko
    Marko

I really encourage you to get one, they are worth the money and will only go up in value. I looked into making a clone but it isn't as easy as it sounds sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Stopsign - all your rifles look like hoarded safe queens. Their just pieces metal & wood if you don't shoot them.
    Including vintage falling block levers and magazine levers - I have 31 (22Rf to 50-70 and metrics) and they all have been to the range. Come on - give them the real light of day
    Oh no, these aren't safe queens I just gently place them down when I'm not shooting them. The Rossi gets the most use as I love the simplicity of 45 Colt reloading and the top eject is just the bee's knees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast