RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .44 mag whitetail pistol hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Attachment 244143

Here is my setup for 44 mag yes that a full 6” barrel.
    I think that would be really slick with some open sights, or a low profile reflex sight. With a big red dot like that, what are you gaining over a 10" barrel?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I think that would be really slick with some open sights, or a low profile reflex sight. With a big red dot like that, what are you gaining over a 10" barrel?
    Truth be told that sight is what I had I could easily put a reflex sight on it or even open sights. The ultra dot has some really good adjustable dots and it still handi light weight and maneuverable because no cylinder to add or loose velocity etc etc.. Its not for everyone I am ok with that.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Ramjet, I have two of the same ultradot matchdots adjustable from 2 to 8 MOA dot sizes. One on my Andaconda and the other on my browning buck mark 5.5” target pistol. I updated the Tasco PDP3’s from the late 90’s with these red dots. They’re excellent quality. It was to go to red dot competition sight with competition shooters for years...and I believe they still are if you google and research them. The new goofy reflex dots are garbage IMO. I’ll take A couple more ounces I’d weight and bulk to be able to see and find my crisp, clear dot at a fraction of a second. I have a few Leupold delta points that are junk imo. I’ve had both sizes of Gilmore dot tubes and was never a fan of them either. They have too much tint in the lenses so hunting at the last few minutes to hour of daylight is not an option. The tascos are the same. The originals from the early 90’s had no tint. Shooters that haven’t tried these type Of red dots don’t know what they’re missing.

Here’s the manufactures link. I should have tried the matchdot 11 in one of them but am so used to shooting the plain dot...

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_006.htm

Mega, you can adjust your dot sizes both in mine down to 2moa. I’m WAY more precise at 100 yards with it than open sights or reflex sights for that matter. Most reflex sights I’ve tried I have a lot of trouble finding the red dots in. Never the “tube” styles though. It also has an power knob to adjust the brightness of the dot which almost all reflex sight don’t being their automatic. If I turn the brightness all the way down it seems to shrink the dot diameter for Precision shooting. The dots in the tube type red dit sightsee are WAY more crisp and clear than most to all reflex type sights imo as well.

Bushnel and AT3 AT 50 make some small cheap versions. I tried a couple AT3AT 50’s that went back. Both 2 MOA dots looked like a starburst inside my dark house but we’re crisp in bright daylight outside. I tried a battery that was almost dead and could barley see the dot and it was crisp and clear. The company imo could resolve the issue by turning down the brightness, intensity of the dot at low power. AT3 tried to blame my eyes and said I needed corrected vision...I just laid lazek a few years ago and my dominant eye is 20/20. My cheap tasco red dots are crisp and crystal clear... it wasn’t my eyes, just the cheap, Chinese product that’s rebranded. For $75 they should be better quality...or just buy the exact same $40 Chinese bushnel branded one and live it with. There are some great torture tests on YouTube with both these cheap micro dots getting beat up and water dunked on ARs. For a price leader daylight red dot they do great.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-26-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not ragging on the sight, what I like about that gun is that you get a 6" sealed barrel providing velocities that must be like an 8" barrel revolver if not faster, and it's in a package that looks no bigger than a 4" barrel Redhawk. I'm just saying, with lower sights and a hip holster, that thing would be sweet. With a big sight on it like that, it must be a chest holster ordeal, and at that point what are you gaining over the standard 10" barrel?

It doesn't matter either way, as you clearly have a very effective gun there. And if you like it, that's all that matters.

Yes, you have to get creative for holstering. My buddies give me static about the big bulky red dots as well till I outshoot them at twice the distance using them. They have their trade offs. There a lot of camo scoped pistol holsters on eBay for around the $25 mark. I love my big red dots. I harvested an 8 pointer back in the 90’s at 125 yards using one on my pistol. They definitely help me be a better shot when it comes to handguns.

I have a couple mounted on shotguns for turkey hunting as well. I’ve also used them in years past when WI had a zero magnification law for muzzle loaders. Heck, I have a camo tasco PDP2 mounted on my Browning into piston 22 cal pellet pistol I forgot about and another mounted on a Walter look alike bb pistol, Lol...love my red dots!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-26-2019 at 09:25 PM.

My RCBS boolits look like Squrls. I think its a mislabled mold. Sposed to be a 245grSWC but it comes out between 260-265gr and has a bigger meplat.

With 21gr 2400 at 1250fps its WAAAY over kill for deer even thru the shoulders, but is very accurate even at 400 yds in my Vaquero so I stick with it. I'm running 15-16 BHN plain base with zero leading at .433

I like this load way better than my hot Lee 310gr except for bears

Mine must be super hard. I’m getting 240 after lubing with my mold. Sizing to .430 with zero leading also. I think this is a Keith bullet from how it's made though. Or a copy. It definitely has a long nose and huge metplat.

I size mine at .430 as well. I pc and GC them. No leading and 100 yard sub MOA groups at 100 yards with two different loads out of my 77/44. One sub MOA alloy is super soft at 7.5 Bh and the other is 15.4 Bh.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not ragging on the sight, what I like about that gun is that you get a 6" sealed barrel providing velocities that must be like an 8" barrel revolver if not faster, and it's in a package that looks no bigger than a 4" barrel Redhawk. I'm just saying, with lower sights and a hip holster, that thing would be sweet. With a big sight on it like that, it must be a chest holster ordeal, and at that point what are you gaining over the standard 10" barrel?

It doesn't matter either way, as you clearly have a very effective gun there. And if you like it, that's all that matters.
    I got what you meant and I agree with your premise for sure.

I have a Trijicon reflex it’s great sight and certainly would reduce the package overall.

Yes I have several Ultradot sights have had some for years they are great quality and adjust to the 2moa is pretty darn good.

Boolit Grand Master
    ultra dot used to be my go to sight for red dot sights
    but after literally destroying a couple on a 475 Linebaugh Encore
    I will no longer use or recommend them
    Have had on handguns and even a rifle before this happened,
    another 475 Linebaugh as a matter of fact but the newest ones
    can't take the recoil on the Encore or the 475L
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    ultra dot used to be my go to sight for red dot sights
    but after literally destroying a couple on a 475 Linebaugh Encore
    I will no longer use or recommend them
    Have had on handguns and even a rifle before this happened,
    another 475 Linebaugh as a matter of fact but the newest ones
    can't take the recoil on the Encore or the 475L
    I blew a lot of the Tasso PDP3’s out back in the mid 90’s on my Andaconda. I think three or four...I lost count. I’d just buy another one as they were cheap enough back then. I mounted an ultra dot on my andaconda last year and sighted it in. I saw it slid back in the rings on me, the same fate that kept killing my tascos. I ended up spraying some 3M adhesive on the inside of the rings this past winter and finally bought a wheeler tourque wrench to apply equal force to the mating screws. Hopefully that will be the end of my red dots sliding. In the past it always seemed like no matter how much torque I applied to my 44’s and 50 AE my red dots always slid eventually. I even had three scope rings on my 50 AE and it still slid. I believe the 3M adhesive will be the ticket.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-02-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I have for the most part settled on a 250-260 gr Keith boolit as my main whitetail hunting boolit in the 44 mag pistola
    have been all over the spectrum in weights and profiles and have found this style to be most accurate out of my 5.5" Ruger Redhawk
    for alloy I use either 16-1,or either air cooled or water dropped ww alloy
    also I powder coat all my boolits
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I've only shot 3 antler less whitetail with a handgun. My first was killed with a 245 gr semiwadcutter, and she went about 100 yards before collapsing. 44 hole in,44 hole out. The second was shot with with a 240 gr JHP. Same result as the cast bullet. The last was shot with a 200 or 210 gr JHP. 44 hole in, much bigger hole out, great blood trail that lasted only 25 yards. All shots were broadside, hit barely behind the shoulder, and were done at less than 50 yards.

I guess I have killed about 40 or so whitetails with handguns..most with a .44 mag using both cast bullets and jackted HP's...Any cast bullet with a large meplat works really well..No need for that bullet to expand. Hit right some run for 50 or so yards, some fall on the spot...Under penetration using a jacketed 200 gr HP was the only problem I have ever had using the 44

I've been recently thinking about getting back into 44mag. They reason why I left was those punishing 240 grain + loads stoked with Win296. It was ignorance that I only loaded it this way.
    I've recently been turned onto Unique powder which looking at the data should be outstanding with about 215 grain bullet. I suspect a 429215 or 429215 HP would be just the ticket for deer, cast out of a softish alloy, and propelled with about 11-12 grains of Unique.
    And it wouldn't be pushing to either one's hand or a cherished M29 or require a long barrel to get decent efficiency.

Also, I've had exactly zero problems with my Ultradot mounted on my contender in both 357 max and 375 Winchester.

Boolit Man
    I have several red dot scopes. The first was a Pro-point, with a 5mm dot, that is on my 1894 Marlin .44 magnum. I have a Millet 3mm tube on my 6" Ruger SBH Hunter .44 magnum, and the other 4 are holographic on 2 AR 15's and Ruger MKIII Hunter .22lr's. I like them all...…...robin

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I would not feel under gunned with a 220gr bullet in the 44mag.
    Agree!

I'd like to know on what planet these guys are finding these armor-plated deer that need 310-grain bullets? I've been killing'em with .44-40 handloads with 215-230-grain soft bullets of 1:30 tin-lead and either 18.5 grains of IMR4227 or 17 grs. of #2400 for many years. Velocity about 900 fps revolver, 1200 fps carbine. Fully adequate penetration, even on raking shots.

I use similar "medium velocity" loads in my .44 Magnums also. I don't live in grizzly country and the locals killed off and ate the mastadons and sabre-toothed tigers long before my time. Big Foot and The Moth Man are docile neighbors who don't cause trouble except when flat-landers moving in from the city torment them.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-27-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've been killing deer with itty bitty 158 or 180 grain pills for some time. Have yet to have one not pass through.

I would not use 310 gr for deer like Outpost stated do not need it. I got for something else. I would use 240 to 255 gr for my 44mag. for deer. I know shot placement is what matters the most.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast