WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 357 Maximum

Boolit Master

357 Maximum

I know many posts here years past mentioning but a search only brings up a few actual threads.

With the hoopla over the new Winchester 350. Its really kindled my affection to the Maxi. I also picked up a new Maxi to build loads for. This one and the 350 (Yea I picked up a Ruger American Bolt in 350 too) will be dedicated cast bullet guns.

I have a long time favorite bullet that unfortunately, I cannot use as is for the 350. its a WFN and just not friendly to this chamber. But its a proven performer in two other Maximums I have. I grabbed some of those loads when I first shot this newest Maxi and was disappointed to find it would not chamber them. I borrowed a Maxi rifle reamer and cleaned out the throat hoping to be ableTo shoot them, but its still short. Sure I can just seat a lil deeper, but I loose the crimp groove and find a good crimp a pluss in this one. I can also trim the brass a bit. But then I have bastard brass for one of three maxis to keep track of.
    I remembered I had a hundred new starline Dan Wesson brass and loaded up a few ladders to try with H110. Data for the DW is tough to locate! I have over a dozen manuels covering the better part of the last fifty years... no data in any I could find.

Found some online with help from some folks here.

This post is just to hopefully collect anything related to this fine caliber. Loads stories pictures or just comments to what Im doing or what you have done with this Caliber

CW

This is my favorite mold/Bullet for the 35. Its a Custom LEE mold dropping .360/190g WFN bullets.

NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I recently bought a Henry single shot and had Mike Bellm open it up to .357 Max. I have a bunch of load data I found scouring the internet. It might take a bit to sort thru it. I also was in on the 35-180 Larsen group buy for my Maxi, been loading 25.5 grains of Accurate 1680, seems very accurate, pun intended! PM me a mailing address and I will send you copies of what I have. Tom

Boolit Master

Thanks Tom!

I agree 1680 was seemingly MADE FOR THE MAXI!! Also 180g gets you the most the Maxi can provide!

Im Dan Wesson data poor. I have quite a bit of Maximum data.

Good luck with that Henry that are beautiful rifles!!

CW

Boolit Master
    After several years of shooting the Max out of two different rifles, I've finally settled on 1680 powder as being the best for me. I have two pages of load data and a lot of it's good stuff, but the best loads overall are with the 1680. I use it for my 180g and my 158g loads. It's actually one of the last powders I tried, and I tried a lot of them. Wished I'd used it sooner.

I think I printed an article on 360 DW from the IHMSA SILHOUETTE site written by Todd Spotti? I will take a look, hc18flyer

It was LASC/RangingShotDanWesson360Revolver.htm

Boolit Master

CW the 360-200 NOE mold works for me I like H110, the , just food for thought I find full house loads shoot better than target or reduced loads in the Ruger SBH ,but just the opposite in my TC barrels.I'm working on the Henry 357 myself,when it gets here.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 06-10-2019 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

I have had a 14 & 21” “Tender” bbls too. I do miss them. As I sold them off when I got out of Contenders back 25 years ago, when I bought my last house. I have a Carbine and a couple barrels again now. But nothing in Maxi yet. I kept a H&R Topper chambered in Maxi. Shot a truck load of deer with that gun and the excellent 180 SSP on top of 26g of 1680. I read most pust 30 g now but I had pressure signs at 27.5 and 26 was quite accurate. I haven't chrongraphed the shorter bbl but when it was 22” it was just over 2100 fps.
    This new to me is a 24” and Ill bet can squeeze even a touch more fps from it! But its gonna be a cast bullet bbl if I can find some loads!

I cast up some more 180g SAECO #396 bullets to try. As well as some Lyman 220g Keith (forgot the number) I powder coated them Sunday. Hopefully I can shoot this coming weekend last was monopolized with small bore match shooters.

CW

Edit: THANK YOU HC18flyer!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I always preferred 296 in my Maxi. I shot it in sillywett for over 20 years and would average 12 pounds of powder a year at 20 grs. each load.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!