WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data

Thread: Straight Case?

Straight Case?

I'm in Ohio with 38cal minimum straight case for dear. I've got 44, 375W and 45/70. I am playing with the 375w with spitzer bullets #3 Ruger. Thinking about some wildcat using .357" to .40 bore.
    What I want is the most velocity I can get. Anyone have a wildcat of 38-40cal that would conform to straight case regulations. Donar will be #1 Ruger.

Boolit Master

Im a 10mm fan. I always like a straight 6.8 case and a 40cal bullet. IINM the 6.8 & the 10mm share the same parrent case.

Then there is the 400AR. Someone already designed that one.

And lastly the easy answer is the 357 AR or the brand new 350 Legend. (Altho its a 355, I have read Ohio has accepted it as legal for Deer.)

Good luck,

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Pick up a copy of cartridges of the world for a reference research guide. Its a big listing of cartridges to give an idea. Look at the 375 Winchester and maybe a faster twist to use some off the heavier bullets in the 300-360 grn weight range. A 357 max or wildcat of it might give you what you want. I would be concerned with high velocities and pistol bullets of the bullet performance. Also a 45-70 with lighter bullets in a number one can be loaded to around 2000 fps. That's a lot of umpf on both ends

Boolit Buddy
    what's wrong with a 375 Winchester. I think a 45-70 may be a bit of overkill

Banned
    Shouldn't be too difficult to find a straight walled cartridge between 35-40 cal. that will push a decent sized bullet to a high velocity. Would probably be easier to go with a rimmed case in the Ruger #1 action as opposed to a rimless cartridge like the 10mm.

The first thing that jumps to my mind is the .357 maximum. Lots of bullet selection, smallest caliber that fits the above criteria.

444 Marlin may be another option.

After that, I think one of the old straight walled cartridges converted to smokeless powder but you're going to need a bullet over .358" and in that case you're probably not going to beat the 444 Marlin in terms of speed unless you do something like a custom 40-65, at which point you might as well go back to the .357 Maximum and at least have brass that's easier to come by.

Banned
    dogmower beat me to it, 375 Winchester would also meet the OP's criteria.

Boolit Grand Master

The 9.3x72R case necked out to .375 into a straight case. Should be able to just rechamber the Ruger #3 .375W.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Here's what I've been using. Works for me. I've been using the 158g and the 180g XTP bullets for several years now and haven't had any "blow up" on deer. I've used a Win/Miroku Low Wall rechambered and the TC Encore with the MGM bbl. Great results on deer so far.

Attachment 243471Attachment 243472

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

I've got #1 & JM Marlin 45/70s, 300gr Horn JHPs shooting #1 loads in both. Don't really like 45/70 as deer gun.
    Got two #3s in 375 shooting 235gr Semi spitzer . Have went up to 300gr RN. Got rid of the 375w lever guns to go with loads of greater OAL. Have 1894 Mar in 44mg too. Any of these is good enough for deer in the woods.
    I want to build a long range gun with flattest trajectory I can get out of straight case. Donar gun is a # 1 that I don't shoot in 6mm PPC.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    +1 for the 444. With lighter bullets you can get the velocity up there pretty good. And with a heavy bullet it will work for anything you want to hunt.