Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: 50 Beowulf

Boolit Buddy

50 Beowulf

Though I'd share this with everyone, I just worked up a good load for my new BCA 50 Beowulf upper with heavy (MM 600 grains sized .502) boolit, PC with Eastwood Ford Light Blue. I'm using 32.5 grain RL7 with a Remington 9 1/2 primer. I forget the OAL but it's basically covering the 1st driving band. Haven't chrony'ed it, but expect about 1300 fps out of a 16" barrel. shooting grapefruit sized groups a 200 meters and a bit bigger than that at 300. kicks a bit, but fairly light rifle. hits like a sledgehammer, especially at 200m. no signs of overpressure, but would start lower and work up. I started with 31 grains and a Winchester large pistol primer and this wouldn't cycle the action. the 32.5 grain load cycles the action, and holds the bolt open on the last shot, but the primers are rounded and ejection is only a foot or so out of the rifle.
    as always, YMMV and load at your own risk.

Boolit Buddy
    if anybody else has data out there, especially for 400 plus grain boolits, I'd love to hear about it. I have 440 grain gas check and no gas check molds, and the big 600 grain Mountain Mold is a GC design, but it shoots well with the whole boolit coated in Eastwood Ford Light Blue and no gas check, at least at the 1300 fps (estimate) or so velocity level.

Boolit Master
    I’ll go home and look my man

Boolit Buddy
    Odfairfaxsub, any luck?

Boolit Master
    46-47 gr rel 7 w a 385 gr bullet (suppose to be 400 gr but I made it hard). It’s a plain based but I coat them, make them w nearly straight wheel weight, and water drop them. I tired h110 no good, imr 4198 no good, lil gun was ok but not good.

I’ve had this load for a year now. I took it to the range and shot 6-7 shells and called it good haha.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll bet that's a flamethrower. I loaded some of the 350 grain xtp pistol bullets over Lil Gun (forget the charge, think it was around 35 grains). I was shooting at a 3/8" mild steel plate, at 200 meters. The impacts, especially after seeing the 600 grain cast boolits knock the hell out of the plate, were less than what I expected. The steel would ring, but didn't move much. On closer inspection, I found half inch holes drilled neatly through the steel! This round really has me intrigued due to the accuracy and power.

Boolit Master
    I have no data above 400 gr bullets but I did see where someone worked up some 525 gr stuff w a bush and had stabilization issues. I though about going heavier but it seems there’s some diminishing returns if I had to guess w heavier than 400. Loss of velocity.

Boolit Buddy
    well, if you get a chance to shoot the MM 600 grain boolits, try the load I mentioned above. It's accurate to 300 meters (and maybe beyond, not enough dial in the scope). even though it's a relatively slow round, doesn't seem to mind wind.