Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: cast 44 boolit samples

Boolit Mold

cast 44 boolit samples

Hey guys, I just picked up a Rossi 92 in 44 with the intention of casting for it. I cast and PC for 300blk, and have had great results. It is however, my first 44, so I don't have any projectiles to mess around with to see what it likes to feed on as far as OAL and projectile profile. I was hoping I could get a few samples of cast bullets from one/some of you guys, from the molds that I am looking at. I have seen a few threads about that here, and was hoping it's an ok thing to ask.

My first thoughts are lee 6 cavities, since I'm only plinking, and they make two that look like they will do the trick.

the first is 429-200-RF and the other is 429-240-2R. I'm also slightly curious about how the 430-310-RF would feed, but I really don't need anything that heavy for my purposes, and would probably just be wasting lead. Willing to trade for or buy maybe 25-50 of each to test with.

So far, I have only tried two different factory loads, both Fiocchi, both SJHP. the 200gr at 1.57" OAL feed fine, and the 240gr at 1.62" OAL do not feed. I have heard that 1.6" seems to be the cutoff for reliable feeding in most Rossi's. The 200gr Lee mold should keep me under 1.6" but the 240gr mold will put me over 1.6" if I crimp at the cannelure, but it has a totally round nose, which might help align things.... hence, why I would like to try some out.

Thanks, I've been a heavy lurker, lots of great info here.
    Patrick

Boolit Master
    I have the Rossi 92 in .44 mag and it feeds the Lee 200RNFP real well. My suggestion is that you buy a 2C for about $20.00 and your're all set to go. It will cost you about half of that just to get some samples, and I guarantee that design will work in your Rossi 92.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

The Lee 44-240-2R is a Round Nose. It is "sharp" enough to rest on the primer of the one ahead of it in the magazine tube. Not a good idea. Primer detonation in the mag tube is NO FUN.
    If you want a good 240gr. N.O.E. Makes a FANTASTIC BULLET the; TL432-247-RF. I works like a charm in .44 Cal Tube-Fed rifles.
    You can tumble lube it, or Powder Coat. Seat in the top lube groove or crimp on the ogive.
    Drops from the mold as easy as anything sliding on ice.
    Uses Lee handles too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    Welcome to CB,
    I have the 429-200-RF and the 430-240-SWC-TL you could try.

Need to know what size and how hard you want them

You need to slug your barrel or do a chamber cast, find the groove diameter and go .001 -.002 over that

this might help

I have the Lyman 429-421 245 grain Keith bullet. Run it with trailboss in my contender and Ruger 44s. Love it and easy on the hand.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Moderator Emeritus

Patrick,
    Welcome to the forum.

Shuz gave you some great advice...I have done that exact thing, ordering a inexpensive Lee 2 cav mold, just to try out a style to see if the gun likes it. I like the Lee 429-200-RF for Levergun...that'd be the first one I'd recommend buying, to try. If it doesn't workout, you can simply sell the mold and recover most of the purchase price.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001