RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help for the recoil problems us older folks have.

Boolit Master
    I took glucosamine for years for pain in my knees and it "seemed to help". I decided to stop taking it to see if the pain returned, and it did! So now I'm back on the glucosamine and am pain free again in my knees. Perhaps it's psychosomatic, but who cares, for me it seems to work. I have acquired peripheral neuropathy in both my feet and hands, and if it wasn't for the gabapentin and tramadol I take, I wouldn't be able to shoot anymore with any degree of comfort. Most of my .44 mag loads these days are loaded with Trail Boss or Green Dot to mitigate the discomfort.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Tazman thanks for the tip. I tried it a while back but didn't take it very long maybe few weeks and didn't think it helped maybe i just didn't take it long enough. Will have to give it another try.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to say I am a believer in glucosamine chondroitin. I learned it from my little dog. When she got to be 14 she began to have stiffness in her hind legs. A trip to the vets brought a diagnosis of arthritis and a recommendation to try glucosamine for relief. That dog, Lord love her, didn't read any threads on line, or health magazines. She didn't gossip with friends or neighbors, she didn't even know we were adding a 4th of a capsule to her food. But in 2 weeks she began to walk more normally and in 6 weeks her symptoms were gone. Glucosamine added 4 years to her life. I take it and and have found relief for my nagging hip and shoulder pains.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Took Glucosamine for several years.................seen no improvement. Not until I had both knees replaced. The middle finger on my right hand won't straighten out. At almost a ninety degree angle............good thing I'm a lefty. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Winelover

Banned
    I like it when my fingers make that snapping sound when I try to straighten them out. Golden years my ***.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have arthritis in my hands and wrists making it difficult and painful to shoot handguns that have higher recoil. Grips can help but not always. I can tolerate up to 357 mag and 45ACP without much issue.
    I recently found something that has helped me a lot. It may help others so I am posting here.
    A few months ago, I started taking Glucosamine tablets for my knees. It took a couple of months before I saw any improvement but it did help.
    I just realized that it also has helped my other joints that have been affected by arthritis. I have gained some flexibility back in my shoulders and wrists and my hands are less painful.
    I tried Glucosamine for a while several years ago. It was expen$ive, and didn't seem to help much. Perhaps I didn't give it enough chance. Now, I have "feeble knees", and perhaps will try a month or three to see if it does help. Thanx for the tip. At 80, I'll try most anything once.

Took my Match Champion to the range a couple of weeks ago...I had ordered some of the Speer 135 gr. .357 Magnum Short Barrel ammo just to see. I found the recoil not much different than my old IPSC and everything load...5.5 gr. Unique /357 brass/860 fps. Comfortable and enjoyable to shoot. Of course, I switched the handsome Hogue grips the MC comes with to the old style GP 100 grips, and that may have made some difference.
    Who Knew? I am cogitating going wild and raising my charge weight to 6.0 gr. Unique to make it "more equal".

I guess I have an advanced case of "The True Spirit of Never Leaving Well-Enough Alone" syndrome. SO?

Boolit Master
    When I was doing Q.C. work at the sawmill I developed tendonitis. I sometimes couldn't pick up a pen until the doctor told me to get a band that they had at the drugstore. It worked, I could shoot my handguns, although not as much as I used to. Now, after the chemo, I can barely feel anything in my hands, but my elbows don't hurt.

I had a buddy in Branford Florida that had to take glucosamine, and it worked wonders for him. He liked to tinker in his wood shop and go fishing, and before he started taking it he was on the verge of selling his stuff.

My late wife took it for her knees. It helped a lot, but as she had Degenerative disc and degenerative joint disease it could only do so much.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

My old Rottweiler's joints got all stiff, and the horse doctor prescribed glucosamine. It gave him a new lease on life.

I've taken one a day for several years, and I complain less about joint pains & stiffness that folks 20 years younger.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-14-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I have not tried these but a friend with arthritis swears by them https://www.gripswell.com/gs33.php

One more option

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...erless-leather
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-15-2019 at 09:12 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I would take Ibuprofen and Aleve daily to relive my joint pain. My hands are good, but, knees, hips, back, well you get the picture. I can't seem to knock down 2 of those big pills a day, plus just remembering the second pill. First thing in the AM I remember but latter in the day, doesn't happen. Well I was in Sam's or Costco one day and there was this stuff called Joint Juice, which is Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I just take one glug every morning which makes a bottle last about 30 days. After 2 to 3 weeks I just stop taking Ibuprofen and Aleve. But after feeling so much better I forget to buy a follow up bottle, but life is good for a while. About two months later I find myself falling into the habit of taking Ibuprofen and Aleve again. Now I buy 2 bottles of Joint Juice at a time, and when I finish one bottle it goes on the list.
    My Brother in Law started take Hemp oil, CBD and he reported the problems with his feet were improved greatly. I've added CBD to my daily routine, but not sure it's helping yet, to soon to tell. Quite a few people have said it helps with joints.

I've taken a different approach to hand, back and knee pain. I load light bullets in my 44 magnum after having lost the feeling in two fingers in my right hand. I gave up riding Honda CBR sport bikes, as I couldn't open my left hand. That's called a 'trigger finger injury' and it really hurts. And, I stay away from the Muay Thai gyms because throwing and receiving low leg kicks, is out of the question for me anymore. I feel much better now.

The US military issues nomex aviator gloves that are rather thin, for dexterity, but also fit rather snug. A quick search turned them up surplus on evil bay.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I have been taking the Osteo Biflex brand of G&C for over ten years and it has been helping some areas I abused during my 25 years in the Army and some very mountainous hunts. I had been taking what I considered reasonable amounts of over the counter ibuprophen in 400 mg two tablet doses, not the military issue 800 mg horse pills. I had avoided Tylenol because of the reported liver problems it caused. Then 18 months ago I got rushed to the hospital after passing about six units of blood in the toilet in 24 hours. Over a three day period they did upper and lower endoscopes and found nothing but a lower tract that looked like it had been sand papered with a big grit paper. They said it was the ibuprophen that did it. While in the hospital I met a young male nurse who told me he was treating severe congenital arthritis with capsules of the spice Turmeric. I now take a capsule with 500 mg of the spice and 50 mg of ginger three times a day. I researched it thoroughly and settled on the Spring Valley brand that Walmart sells at a much better price than what is found at the specialty shops like GNC. It really works for me and I haven't taken one Advil or Aleve since I left the hospital. Just my experience. GF

Lots of people have digestive tract issues with long term usage of ibuprofen. My wife recently developed ulcers due to that drug.
    Fortunately it doesn't seem to have any effect on my digestive tract yet but I take far less than I used to. Sometimes I go weeks without using it.
    I may need to try out the Turmeric and Ginger.

Boolit Buddy
    My father and uncle both have different levels of renal failure. My dad is down to about 50% of his normal kidney function. Both of them have been taking ibuprofen in large doses for many years. The doctors are telling them that the ibuprofen has contributes to their renal failure.
    Renal failure is what killed my grandfather. I try not to take Ibuprofen at all anymore. If I sprain an ankle, or throw my back out, I’ll use it. Just not daily use anymore.
    Stay safe out there.
    JM

Moderator Emeritus

Happy to read the Glucosamine helps you! It brings an event of a decade back to mine, where a student (work-study) assigned to me's boyfriend ended up in hospital. Hoping to alleviate pain and reclaim mobility in a joint injury, he reckoned Osteobiflex -- Glucosamine & Chondroiten -- would surely help in his athletic prowess. Guess what? It turns out that Devon has an extreme allergy to shellfish -- with this being a major ingredient to make Glucosamine. On their web-site, they printed: "The glucosamine in Osteo Bi-Flex® products is derived from shellfish".
    Just a headsup to readers of this thread who do in fact have shellfish allergies to perhaps be, at the least, cognizant of possibilities not intended in trying this OTC product. (I do take it for my right shoulder; re no allergy -- lucky, I guess )
    geo

Boolit Master

Tazman, the 32's are meant for people like us.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Well, the Glucosamine stuff didn't do anything for me. Maybe its the placebo effect. But fortunately for me, I don't have arthritis yet.
    But I don't shoot the big ones as often as I probably should though. But maybe the .32's are the way to go if you have trouble. The .32 magnums are still quite potent.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 06-16-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Buddy

Heavy loads are a PITA. As I've aged, I've moved towards "comfort loads". I shoot targets, and I shoot for pleasure, so why beat up my wrist?

I shoot paper but I still think(dream) about going hunting, even with my physical limitations. 357 Mag is a minimum handgun caliber for hunting in many jurisdictions.
    I can handle the 357 mag but the 44 mag is too uncomfortable to use. Getting proficient requires that I shoot it enough to get good with it. Big problem there.
    Just walking the hills can be a problem these days. I just hate the idea of giving up something I have enjoyed doing my entire life since age 10.
    Relief for the joint pain issue was a good part of the cure for the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast