MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help for the recoil problems us older folks have.

Help for the recoil problems us older folks have.

I have arthritis in my hands and wrists making it difficult and painful to shoot handguns that have higher recoil. Grips can help but not always. I can tolerate up to 357 mag and 45ACP without much issue.
    I recently found something that has helped me a lot. It may help others so I am posting here.
    A few months ago, I started taking Glucosamine tablets for my knees. It took a couple of months before I saw any improvement but it did help.
    I just realized that it also has helped my other joints that have been affected by arthritis. I have gained some flexibility back in my shoulders and wrists and my hands are less painful.
    During a recent session with my 357 mag, I found that instead of tolerating the handgun, I was enjoying shooting it because my hands were not hurting like they used to.
    I am not going to go out and buy a 44mag in order to see how far I can push this, but if this can help anyone else to tolerate or enjoy a handgun or rifle that has become a bit too painful to shoot I am all for it.

Banned
    If nothing helps 8 or 10 shots of Jack Daniels seems to work in that you will forget about shooting. I take Nabumetone 750mg twice a day by prescription. It helps with the arthritis.

8 or 10 shots of Jack Daniels would put me under the table! I have little tolerance for alcohol in any form. I was always a cheap drunk.
    Up to now I have always been able to get by with a healthy dose of Ibuprofen. My arthritis hasn't impaired me enough to stop me from doing things I like. It just makes them less enjoyable. I have a mild allergy to naproxin sodium that gives me flu like symptoms after a couple of days so I can't take that.
    I prefer to try doing without drugs that require a prescription if I can.
    Last edited by tazman; 06-12-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Banned
    I stated 8 or ten shots because I know there are members here that could drink that with ease. Myself, I will have two or three drinks a year around Christmas time. Not supposed to drink with the heart medications. Just opening the bottle and smelling the contents is enough to make me drunk. I do however rely on the Nabumetone it really helps my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I stated 8 or ten shots because I know there are members here that could drink that with ease. Myself, I will have two or three drinks a year around Christmas time. Not supposed to drink with the heart medications. Just opening the bottle and smelling the contents is enough to make me drunk. I do however rely on the Nabumetone it really helps my hands.
    This is one of those areas where each person's body reacts differently to things. What works for one may not work for another. Kind of like grips on a handgun.
    If it works for you, go for it.

What I have found to work with shooting handguns , I use weight lifting gloves. It take care of the grip and the recoil. Beside other things you have a hard time to do with your hands. It works for me. I have carpel tunnel in both hands. beside what ever else.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy

In the past I have used glucosamine for the same problems. Usually took at least a week for me to start getting relief.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, gonna give it a try!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    taxman - I take it everyday and does my wife - and it helps. I worked with my hands most of my life but so far, maybe good genetics, what arthritis I have in my hands hasn't become an issue. Just a thought off the top of my head - and I really don't know anything about it - but are there any shooting gloves out there that aren't bulky but which would help those with the issue you speak of? I guess I'm thinking of something like a spandex glove that would support joints, etc. like a knee brace does to a knee joint?

I don't have arthritis, I just don't enjoy shooting heavy loads like I used to.
    I've been taking a couple Glucosamine tablets a week for decades now, but it was for aching knees. Seems to help.
    If you reload, even the big bores can still be enjoyable. I don't think my mild .45 Colt loads are any less pleasant than .357. You can download anything.

Boolit Master

My knee replacement three years ago eliminated the problems with that joint, but there were other hinges that complained regularly until I began taking 400 mg of Hyaluronic Acid daily, which helped a bunch. I will also look into Glucosamine.

Boolit Master
    Glucosamine!

I have no firearm recoil problems,not yet. But I got overly enthusiastic with bows, shooting all too much , using all too strong bows. Like a hundred arrows per day with a 70# Mathews, combined with a 50# recurve. Did that for a year,forgetting I'm 56 and when I stopped for winter,hell broke loose in my shoulders. Burning pain.

I started taking glucosamine and within three months the pain was gone. That was two years ago, now I'm shooting bows again (less # , less arrows) and can shoot heavy 45-70 etc...

I will keep on taking glucosamine forever,I also used to have light tendonitis problems,playing guitar/bass professionally for nearly 50 years.

I personally know other people who have got help from glucosamine,one competition rifle shooter for example.

Boolit Master

I take glucosamine too but also take fish oil with it have / had a bad back I would go to a Chiropractor 2 times a week for years after I started tacking fish oil and glucosamin I could tell the difference in about a month it does help a lot
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    One warning about taking Glucosamine - if you have a shellfish allergy, as I do, you should not take Glucosamine. I found this out the hard way.

https://www.drugs.com/answers/chondr...rgy-72216.html

Boolit Master
    I took glucosamine for several years but the arthritis in my knees just got continually worse. I stopped taking it a few years ago. I'm no worse off now than if I had been still taking it.

Moderator Emeritus

I have taken glucosamine for years and was having problems with my arthritis. My Uncle mentioned have I tried taking collagen also as I had to have an MRI of my knee it was so bad. Took the type I,II, and III ones and what a difference. I couldn't believe the results. Like tazman said, everybody is different. I found collagen at Costco for about a third the price. Good luck.

Banned
    Find light accurate loads your just punching paper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I agree. It certainly helps.
    I downloaded rounds with lessened charges for my missus to use to practice shooting as she has wrist & hand issues in both hands. It makes the experience much more enjoyable for her anyway. Did the same for my grandboys, DIL, friends & new shooters as well.

You can always load them a little hotter for other uses you might want, but for just plinking & such, lighter loads will certainly help just as much as taking supplements & other recoil lessening measures like the weighted gloves, etc.

Just "one more tool in the toolbox" to keep in mind for a solution to this recoil issue.

So, I am seconding that option mentioned about lowering the loads to try to help with such issues, if it matters to anyone. I just know that it works for my missus & others to do so
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    It is what we shoot the most in our .357's. Light .38 Spl loads. Why get hammered with 50 hot loads when you can shoot 200 mild ones? I know some guys love the recoil but I enjoy shooting more.

A guy I know got mauled a bit by a bear last year. His two .357 hits did not put the bear down quickly enough so he got a .500 Mag this year. Wait until he touches that thing off!!!! This guy limps a bit with arthritis so I doubt he will do well with the new gun.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have arthritis in my hands and wrists making it difficult and painful to shoot handguns that have higher recoil. Grips can help but not always. I can tolerate up to 357 mag and 45ACP without much issue.
    I recently found something that has helped me a lot. It may help others so I am posting here.
    A few months ago, I started taking Glucosamine tablets for my knees. It took a couple of months before I saw any improvement but it did help.
    I just realized that it also has helped my other joints that have been affected by arthritis. I have gained some flexibility back in my shoulders and wrists and my hands are less painful.
    During a recent session with my 357 mag, I found that instead of tolerating the handgun, I was enjoying shooting it because my hands were not hurting like they used to.
    I am not going to go out and buy a 44mag in order to see how far I can push this, but if this can help anyone else to tolerate or enjoy a handgun or rifle that has become a bit too painful to shoot I am all for it.
    Loved the post and the info.....one ol'd guy to another!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast