WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remaking a hunting rifle: Enfield Stock from Scratch (Sporterized)

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    There is a company doing it, just can't remember the name at the time. We used that method at Serengeti Rifles. You need a plank a minimum of 2 1/2" more is better, and a good resaw to be able to pull it off. You also need a good table belt sander, and a rather complicated clamping system. You need to have a finished blank of 2 1/4" minimum for most stocks with a cheek piece. A home hobbiest may be able to pull it off, but it would be expensive and time consuming to have a good finished product.

This is a rifle I did using that method.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...her&highlight=

I go along with others recommendations to get a pre-inlet stock. Build a few guns from those before you tackle building from a plank. There is a big learning curve, and the pre-inlets let you see where your future difficulties can arise.
    I also saw your gorgeous project Mauser for Joni Lynn. I was in awe at the craftsmanship and detail put into it. Thank you for that post! Amazing work
    Take pride in everything you do, or not, you do what you think's right, I'll do what I think's right

"Lady if you weren't a nun, I'd let you save your own bacon."
    -Hogan

Does anyone have a proven way of cleaning up the look of a bolt without removing too much material? I would like to remove all the old bluing as its worn off in places. As it stands now, the bolt works flawlessly so I don't want to change the functionality, but would like to see it polished up a little. Maybe wet sanding? 1000-2000 grit? or is there a compound or paste I could get that isn't too abrasive?

Thanks a bunch. Going to post a few pics of what I have so far tonight. Unfortunately I didn't think about taking a picture of the bore before I cleaned it.
    Take pride in everything you do, or not, you do what you think's right, I'll do what I think's right

-Hogan

I use a felt or muslin buffing wheel and 240 or 400 grit polish, depending on how shiny I want it to be. If you don't have a buffer and wheel, then you could shoeshine it with strips of abrasive cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I use a felt or muslin buffing wheel and 240 or 400 grit polish, depending on how shiny I want it to be. If you don't have a buffer and wheel, then you could shoeshine it with strips of abrasive cloth.
    Oh okay. Something like you'd clean copper tubing with?

-Hogan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12