Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 501640 sa

I'm A Honcho!

501640 sa

Some of us have been discussing the success of the 480 Ruger with the 385 grain Miha HP traveling in the 1100 fps range pretty much killing and penetrating all the bigger critters in the USA and doing it without all the blast/horsepower/recoil the full on 475/500 big bore loads bring to the field. My own pet load with my 475 Linebaugh was a 420 grain bullet at 1350 fps and I just can't imagine the 480/385/1100 Miha combination could run with it. But there it is.

Note that the new Ruger 454 and 480 do not have the oversize cylinder. Nor do they have a bolt bearing block. Kind of makes you wonder if all of that is really necessary. For years now Reeder has built his big bore 5 shot conversions without the oversize cylinders. Some guys even have .480's on the Ruger mid size Flattop frames.

This is a lighter weight option for the .500" bores that should be a dandy. If you don't feel like you need all that extra bullet weight to derail street cars or penetrate cement trucks then this one might be for you. We have had some discussion on the back channels as to the success of the Miha 385/480/1100 fps combo pretty much killing/penetrating everything it has been tasked to do. This one should perform at least as well.

This one will be available in a 2 or 4 cavity plain base or gas check mold. It will come with three HP pin options as well as a set of pins for solids. Prices will be set by Miha when the time comes. Be patient. These buys can take some time.

Please let me know how many and what kind of mold you want and I need your email in disguised format like this so I can cut and paste it:

powderburner AT gunrange DOT com

I'm A Honcho!
    Is this one really that dead?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    Is this one really that dead?
    I hope not, I signed up over on Single-Actions and hope it gets run. Has this design been run before? If so it might help if some pics and performance info could be posted. I tend to think in this day and age people are visual when looking to buy stuff. Just my .02...

I'm A Honcho!
    I believe this is a new design and this is the first run.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    I believe this is a new design and this is the first run.
    Well, if you pull some strings, and get him to cut one and send it to me I would be happy to take pics and go shoot something with it and report back....

Boolit Master
    My experience is that 500 mold designs take a while to take off- sort of a niche but enthusiastic market- but once they get going they pick up interest fast.

I'm A Honcho!
    zzzzzzzzzzzz