Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Coating bullets in large quantities

Boolit Bub

Coating bullets in large quantities

This is probably for the commercial caster but will appreciate all input.

How are you guys coating Hi-tek in large quantities? I have about 7000 that I need to coat and I知 trying to find a faster way of doing it, if there is of course.

Right now, I知 coating in batches of 15 pounds as I知 shaking by hand and then letting it dry. I could probably coat more then 15 pounds but the weight associated to it will be tough to get good coverage by hand.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    small cement mixer to coat
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I found it didn't take me too long to coat that many 125 gr 9mm ones by hand. I haven't made my "concrete mixer" for coating yet. I have a plastic container i use, squirt, close up and shake, pour out.

I generally do batches of 10-15k to make it worth while, all shaking by hand so far, just gives you a work out without going to the gym

Banned
    Or build something like a small cement mixer

motor, bucket's, the inner bucket has a couple of agitators/ribs some rollers/wheels, off/on switch.

adjust angle and speed to suit ( I believe mine is apr 45 rpm)

Trevor's is much fancier with a ginormous motor.

Use a fan with a heat source to speed up drying.

with the coater I built -w- 2 gal bucket I only do 8# at a time because that's all the fit on trays/screens that fit in my ovens. It would probably do a lot more, just haven't tried it, no need.,
    add boolits, turn on add solution, wait for 15 - 20 seconds. stop and dump into drying trays. Fast and easy.

with minor adjustment and modification, you can also have a wet tumbler.

Boolit Master
    That is essentially what i am going to build, i have an old drill i want to use to make it spin, i can then alter the speed with setting the trigger to get it just where i want it. If that fails, i'll use a different motor like you have, wiper motor?

The plan is to use a square bucket, so hopefully no agitating ribs are needed, we'll see how it works out though.

Boolit Master
    I put my 20lt bucket in my cement mixer when I have a large supply to do, just have not got round to finishing my purpose built mixer. Regards Stephen

Banned
    I used a small wiper motor, that's what I had. probably would do 20 #. I see no reason you couldn't use a variable speed drill.
    another picture

next generation on a metal frame

Outside bucket attaches to the wiper motor

Inside of inside bucket for polishing brass

it's versatile, you can put blocks in the inside bucket and a square peanut jar for doing small batches of brass.

Boolit Master
    That is very neat, all made from bits most of us have laying around, even better that it's multi-purpose. Hi-tek with one bucket, case cleaning with a different bucket and SS pins. I'd like to give wet tumbling a go, the cases come out so very clean.

Banned

I can coat 10lbs at a time in my vibrating tumbler. takes about 15 minutes. Get two batches tumbled and they all fit on cookie pans in my old range in the garage. While that batch cooks for 30 minutes I can tumble another 20 and keep going and going. Got to be near a 1000 30 cal bullets in a 20lb pot so you could do 7k in about 4 hours like that.