RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Shooting My Reloads

Boolit Mold

First Time Shooting My Reloads

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes anyways.

A little bit of my back story:

The Christmas before last, I was the proud recipient of an amazing amount of generosity from this group that is the Tumbleweed Christmas and Brassy Clause. I've had a lot going on in my life since then, but have found a little time here and there to do some research and load some rounds. I just haven't had the chance to actually shoot anything for quite some time. This is very troubling to me for a couple reasons:
    1- I've always been a shooter. Since I was 7 years old. It is a part of who I am. Going almost two years without the time/opportunity to shoot felt like I had lost a little bit of my soul. That's not good, and there is no excuse.

2- I believe in training, and maintenance of skills. How could I possibly feel confident in my skills to protect my family if I hadn't taken the time to hone those skills? This is unacceptable and I should be slapped.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the family out for some much-needed time in the woods... with guns.

My boy shot a real gun for the first time in his life. He's 12 and has been my son for almost 2 years. I gave him a nice safety brief before we left the house, then reiterated those points at the range. He wanted to put a couple rounds down-range from my XD40, so I gave him a couple of 165 grain ball rounds. He did remarkably well, then spent the rest of the day shooting my dads old Remmington single shot, bolt action .22 that I learned to shoot on as a kid. He loved it. Simply could not get enough of the fact that when he opened the breach, smoke came out.

My wife spent most of the day with my little 10-22 Carbine with a 3-9X scope, drilling holes into log rounds. I'm talking a quarter sized hole at 25 meters from a kneeling stance. And this was her second or third time ever shooting. I think I've got a couple naturals on my hands.

On to the reason of this post.

Over the last 10 years that I've had my XD40, I couldn't even begin to speculate how many thousands of rounds I've shot with it. I always shot store bought rounds, either Winchester or PWC. I used to think they were good, accurate and consistent. I was wrong. I had a couple hundred rounds that I loaded using knowledge that I've gleaned from my Dad (@bbogue1), and a few others, along with some books and research materials I've been led to. I very carefully began to load some rounds, 170 grain Semi Wad Cutters, not sure what to expect. I was careful, and maintained my attention to detail with every step of the process. But I wasn't sure what to expect.

I loaded a single round into my XD, put on gloves and safety glasses, held that gun as far from by body as possible, and slowly pulled the trigger. Annnnnd BOOM! I've never shot a round that made that pistol feel so smooth. All of that research and due diligence payed off. I fired a round that I LOADED! And it worked! I'm sure you all have experienced the pride of knowing that you are just a little more knowledgeable and self sufficient than before that moment. It is good.

I've now gone out twice and fired almost all of the rounds I loaded, so I need to load some more. They are the most consistent rounds I've ever put through that pistol. They are accurate. They are predictable. And they are mine.

I have a huge thanks that is owed to all of you on here, especially to my Dad for convincing me I need to be loading my own, and to Ron (whose screen name I can't remember) for the conversations and guidance. You all are a wealth of knowledge and an all around great community. I can't wait to gain more experience and to get to the point where I can pay it forward.

Thanks for this all,
    Tim

P.S. If you know how to tag someone in a post, please let me know how. Or if you know the people mentioned, please tag them on here so that they can see this post.

Boolit Master

Now the fun beings. Trying to find loads for your gun adjusting the powder .2 grains at a time for pistols and .5 g to 1g for rifles. You'll get paterns at most loads then you'll find a load that you can cover with a dime. Congrats and enjoy.

You sound like a great dad. I used to take all three of my girls, and my two nephews with me to shoot. We still do when we have a chance to get together.

Your methodical reloading will pay off handsomely over time. I frequently remind my wife of all the money I am saving. I like to shoot surplus guns in oddball calibers, and reloading is about the only way to go. A buck a shot is just sacrilege to me.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I am a self taught reloader. I remember the first time I went to the range with my reloads. I was sweating bullets on the drive. After the first couple successful firings, I started smiling, and have been at it ever since.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Welcome to the addiction. It only gets worse from here. Just kidding, this hobby never gets old.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    Rolling your own is great ain't it. Have given any thought to casting your own.

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!! And......BrassMagnet is his name....although he may or may not go by others around here. He and his minions are a good lot, or, uh.....I suppose some of them are.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Sweet McAwesome;4665160]I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes anyways.
    I've now gone out twice and fired almost all of the rounds I loaded, so I need to load some more. They are the most consistent rounds I've ever put through that pistol. They are accurate. They are predictable. And they are mine.***

YUP, shooting your own creations is a hoot, isn't it? Needing to load more is an ongoing thing.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on loading and shooting your first handloads! And good on you for involving your Family in your hobby.

Boolit Master
    The next stage of the madness is when you start doing things like buying coffee or butter just to get the plastic tubs for storing brass or crawling around on your hands an knees looking for that one piece of missing brass from the box.

Boolit Master
    Then you start casting as well ,own boolits own loads just think of the money you'll save hoho

Banned
    If they go bang with noticeable decrease in power and noise...stop, unload and check to see the bullet made it thru the barrel. If it goes click maintain a 30 second extension of your target sight before proceeding to the next step of unloading and checking to see what the problem is.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations on firing your first reloads.

My advice is to never become complacent. It’s easy to do as you gain more experience. Understand how to recognize a squib and what to do about it. Double and triple check your charges and manuals.

Welcome to the hobby.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Congratulations on firing your first reloads.

My advice is to never become complacent. It’s easy to do as you gain more experience. Understand how to recognize a squib and what to do about it. Double and triple check your charges and manuals.

Welcome to the hobby.
    He said it better than I did. Enjoy the new hobby. Word of caution well another word or two. Don't smoke and reload. Yes, I know ashes don't weigh much but there is always the slight chance of things going up in a puff of smoke. Another word..dont drink and reload. There is a possibility of blurred vision which could result in spilled powder, overloads and spilled booze.

And don't reload when driving. "Do as I say, not as I do".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    And don't reload when driving. "Do as I say, not as I do".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I quit smoking 20 years ago. With my heart meds I can't drink.

Boolit Grand Master

Let's see, reloading successfully now. Soon you will realize there are guns out there that you can pick up relatively inexpensively because you can't buy ammo for them, and they are now available to you! Then you look into casting, and then realize that most of the above guns are on the C&R list and, with a C&R (FFL03) at $10 a year you can have them shipped to your home! NOW your hooked!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    Rolling your own is great ain't it. Have given any thought to casting your own.
    That's the next venture. Part of the great generosity I received from the Tumbleweed Christmas was a melting pot, mold, and a whole lot of lead. I need to find a handle for the mold, then I'll be able to start casting.

Boolit Master
    Welcome!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Awesome McAwesome!

..... and Welcome!

I began handloading at age 19 in 1975, self taught, did it by reading everything pertinent.

Took up casting in about 1990.

It’s been a grand ride!

Dittos on the posts about safety

Enjoy

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast