Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time Shooting My Reloads

Its a great sensation.

My first reloads were for a off the shelf .270 Remington 700.

Store bought ammo grouped at about 2", best I could do.

After I got a press & stuff-
    I found a recommended powder, reduced it about 10%.
    The holes of my first three reloads almost touched.

I haven't bought a box of factory ammo since 1984.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Sure is a great feeling, isn't it!!! I still remember shooting my first 38 Special reloads almost 30 years ago. I did not have access to pre-cast bullets at the time, so I made a few from a mould my buddies Dad owned.

Now, you will learn what your gun likes, how to tailor the load to make your gun work differently and feel the best when shooting it. And, oh by the way... your accuracy will only get better!

Live it, Love it and Shoot it!

Boolit Master
    Three reasons to reload, one of which I recently realized: 1. Cost, 2. Improved accuracy and 3. The ammo manufacturers just don't make the cartridge the way you would want it. In my case, I wanted to shoot reasonable loads in my 44 Magnum lever action, and all factory ammo I have found locally is pedal to the metal hot - I load my 240 grain cast boolits on top of 7 grains of Unique for a modest pedestrian load at 1150 fps.

Boolit Buddy

Sweet McAwesome what mould do you need a handle for? PM me, can send you one, have several not in use.

Boolit Master

Remembered mine as well quite a long ways ago...feelin' both excited & terrified at the same time...it was .45acp on a milspec 1911 with 230 plated RNs...good memories

Boolit Grand Master

I loaded a single round into my XD, put on gloves and safety glasses, held that gun as far from by body as possible, and slowly pulled the trigger. Annnnnd BOOM! I've never shot a round that made that pistol feel so smooth. All of that research and due diligence payed off. I fired a round that I LOADED! And it worked! I'm sure you all have experienced the pride of knowing that you are just a little more knowledgeable and self sufficient than before that moment. It is good.

I still remember the first round I reloaded and shot out of a Blackhawk. I'm still smiling. Congrats
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I do not recall the very first round but being of a cautious nature it likely went in a similar fashion, that of holding my rifle (a Savage model 99 in 250-3000) out at arms length and counting digits and checking for shrapnel, getting a chuckle out of it and being surprised at how mild the suggested starting charge recoiled and moving on all these years.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    I don't know if you ever recoup the cost of reloading equipment or recover the cost of your time. I guess it is the love of doing it that has us devoting our time, energy, and money into it.

I remember telling my wife how much money we were going to save. I am not sure I am saving, but I do shoot 4 times more than before.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I remember telling my wife how much money we were going to save. I am not sure I am saving, but I do shoot 4 times more than before.
    I figured up the cost of the equipment alone and figured at my age I could buy bullets and be ahead of the game. Somehow I just love hearing the clank when I rotate the handle and two formed bullets drop down the chute and the sprew makes its way into a collection box. The neighbors however needed some education as to what that noise was. Last time I made bullets I heard a neighbor tell the neighbor beside him that the noise was the guy across the street making bullets.

On another note... Having 10K or more bullets on my shelves when there was a ammo shortage gave me some small comfort and security.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    The common misconception about saving money is universal.
    The actual result is you shoot more and enjoy yourself more.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on you loading experience. I wish to add sincere kudos re your donning both gloves and safety glasses! These items are too often considered not needed, with "ears" as only range addition. A local high school history teacher had a dark spot in the white of his left eye -- and ALWAYS, several times per (academic) year, would tell his students how he went target shooting, and a piece of "sum-thin'" impacted his left eye. The slightly bad news is it was left for him to carry; the really great news is it was a zillionth of an inch or so (???) from having taken away all vision in that eye. Again: your glasses and gloves: GREAT NEWS!!!
    geo

Boolit Master

My advice,,,,, stock up now while there is availability and prices that are not too crazy. Components and lead and 22 ammo are all in an availability node and elections are only 2 years away. I still have pre Obama 22 ammo but you never know what the political wind may blow across the road in front of you. Keep on shooting. Way to go!!!

Actually I have some Reagan era 22 ammo and a few boxes I got when LBJ was in the White House, and part of a box of Remington copper cased 22 ammo from WWII that My grandfather got . Ive got some ammo
    Last edited by frkelly74; 06-15-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Mold
    Gentlemen, Thank you for all the feedback. This community continues to impress me with the positivity and advice! The world needs more people like this. You guys are awesome!

Boolit Master
    Yes and the OP lives in Wa as I do.

Our pols have the taste of “blood” in their mouths when it comes to the 2a so shoring up one’s shooting independence makes all the more sense!

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I don't know if you ever recoup the cost of reloading equipment or recover the cost of your time. I guess it is the love of doing it that has us devoting our time, energy, and money into it.
    Hush your mouth. What does cost have to do with it
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I have tried for 50+ years to explain to my hunting friends the feeling of shooting game with bullets that you cast and loaded yourself. Most of them still wouldn't be caught dead shooting a cast bullet, but at least they save their brass for me. Congratulations on your success.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I am in the same boat but I gave up wasting air on the nay sayers a long time ago. I do enjoy getting brass and lead from them however.

Threee44s

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet McAwesome View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes anyways.

A little bit of my back story:

The Christmas before last, I was the proud recipient of an amazing amount of generosity from this group that is the Tumbleweed Christmas and Brassy Clause. I've had a lot going on in my life since then, but have found a little time here and there to do some research and load some rounds. I just haven't had the chance to actually shoot anything for quite some time. This is very troubling to me for a couple reasons:
    1- I've always been a shooter. Since I was 7 years old. It is a part of who I am. Going almost two years without the time/opportunity to shoot felt like I had lost a little bit of my soul. That's not good, and there is no excuse.

2- I believe in training, and maintenance of skills. How could I possibly feel confident in my skills to protect my family if I hadn't taken the time to hone those skills? This is unacceptable and I should be slapped.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the family out for some much-needed time in the woods... with guns.

My boy shot a real gun for the first time in his life. He's 12 and has been my son for almost 2 years. I gave him a nice safety brief before we left the house, then reiterated those points at the range. He wanted to put a couple rounds down-range from my XD40, so I gave him a couple of 165 grain ball rounds. He did remarkably well, then spent the rest of the day shooting my dads old Remmington single shot, bolt action .22 that I learned to shoot on as a kid. He loved it. Simply could not get enough of the fact that when he opened the breach, smoke came out.

My wife spent most of the day with my little 10-22 Carbine with a 3-9X scope, drilling holes into log rounds. I'm talking a quarter sized hole at 25 meters from a kneeling stance. And this was her second or third time ever shooting. I think I've got a couple naturals on my hands.

On to the reason of this post.

Over the last 10 years that I've had my XD40, I couldn't even begin to speculate how many thousands of rounds I've shot with it. I always shot store bought rounds, either Winchester or PWC. I used to think they were good, accurate and consistent. I was wrong. I had a couple hundred rounds that I loaded using knowledge that I've gleaned from my Dad (@bbogue1), and a few others, along with some books and research materials I've been led to. I very carefully began to load some rounds, 170 grain Semi Wad Cutters, not sure what to expect. I was careful, and maintained my attention to detail with every step of the process. But I wasn't sure what to expect.

I loaded a single round into my XD, put on gloves and safety glasses, held that gun as far from by body as possible, and slowly pulled the trigger. Annnnnd BOOM! I've never shot a round that made that pistol feel so smooth. All of that research and due diligence payed off. I fired a round that I LOADED! And it worked! I'm sure you all have experienced the pride of knowing that you are just a little more knowledgeable and self sufficient than before that moment. It is good.

I've now gone out twice and fired almost all of the rounds I loaded, so I need to load some more. They are the most consistent rounds I've ever put through that pistol. They are accurate. They are predictable. And they are mine.

I have a huge thanks that is owed to all of you on here, especially to my Dad for convincing me I need to be loading my own, and to Ron (whose screen name I can't remember) for the conversations and guidance. You all are a wealth of knowledge and an all around great community. I can't wait to gain more experience and to get to the point where I can pay it forward.

Thanks for this all,
    Tim

P.S. If you know how to tag someone in a post, please let me know how. Or if you know the people mentioned, please tag them on here so that they can see this post.
    This general attitude, curiosity, self-education and gratitude will carry a man far in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    This general attitude, curiosity, self-education and gratitude will carry a man far in life.
    Thank you. That is probably one of the best compliments a man can receive. Very appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast