Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-5 S&W throats...again

25-5 S&W throats...again

Does anybody know when and if Smith and wesson fixed the oversized throat problem in the 25-5 revolvers. I have found one that is, of course, overpriced but I am missing a 45 S&W and I would like to buy it but I am not in the market for a gun that has huge throats either. I know that early on the 25-5 Smith's had throats as large as .458 but they tightened them up. The gun I'm looking at has a 3 letter code in the front of the serial number and I am curious as to whether they had fixed this by the early '80. I have no physical access to the gun or I would break out my set of pin gages. Anybody know for sure?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I wouldn't sweat a slightly over sized throat. The undersized throats are the problem. When bullet comes through its sized and if bore is larger you got problems. Some guns upset enough to make up for it other don't.
    I've got 3 m25s. Two are right on spec and one is undersized. It shoots cast 250gr fine but doesn't shoot WCs as well as the other 2.

It is my understanding that, when they stopped pinning the barrels, they fixed the throat issue. If the gun has a pinned barrel, I would want to check the throats before putting my money down.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Vendor Sponsor

My avatar pic is a Uberti with .451" bore and .4565" throats. It shoots very well with 454190 sized .456" so I wouldn't be overly concerned with throats.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    The gun I'm looking at has a 3 letter code in the front of the serial number and I am curious as to whether they had fixed this by the early '80. I have no physical access to the gun or I would break out my set of pin gages. Anybody know for sure?
    You are GTG. While the non-letter code prefix guns are hit and miss (I have one with perfect throats and another with .455" throats), I have never heard of the letter code prefix guns having anything other than correct size throats.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks. I guess I could always get Tom at Accurate to cut a mold the size of the throats if they are too big. We are very fortunate to have the custom mold makers of today supplying us with great molds at a reasonable price, The reports of some guns that wont hit a bull in the butt might have a lot to do with the shooter, but I think I'm going to spring for this 45 if I can get my mind right. They are not going down in price any time soon, as near as I can tell.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I fought that battle.....about the well known S&W wide throats in the 45 Colt chambering. It was a 25-3 that was tugging at me. I finally jumped in and brought it home. First thing I did to it after a thorough cleaning, check out and loobing was check the chamber throats. imagine how surprised and gratified I was to note the smallest was .452 and the largest of the 6 was .453. That revolver has become my favorite 45 Colt revolver, in fact I sold off 4 others as a consequence of the way this S&W 25-3 handles my cast hand loads.

Boolit Buddy
    The throats on my 25 all measure .455, but I found a solution. Bear Creek Supply makes hollow base SWC and full wadcutter for the 45. With 4.2 gr. of VV N310, the 185 gr. SWCHB will shoot a 1 hole cluster at 25 yd. from a sandbag rest. Bullseye competition level accuracy. Not bad for a 1950's era revolver with big throats. However, it is 45 ACP/45AR chambered.

The hollow base expands to fill the throat when fired, then fits tight into the barrel which are usually .452.
    Last edited by oldsalt444; 06-11-2019 at 11:35 AM.

I had one of the 25's with large throats. It was the 125th anniversary issue (fancy box, book, jewelry, etc). I could dig out a serial # if that would help, but I doubt it would give a definitive answer. If my recall is working at all, I'm not sure even S&W was able to pinpoint the transition.

When I owned that 25, Jan Libourel was handgun editor at Guns & Ammo. He had one of the oversize throat 25's and ended up designing a wadcutter bullet just for that strange bore/throat anomaly. At Mr. Libourel's suggestion, I purchased his mold design from SAECO. Needless to say, that mold cast beautiful bullets that proved to be very accurate in my revolver.

If anyone feels plagued by his or her oversized-throats 25, fret not. The right diameter bullet will shoot well. I also had an oversize Lyman mold whose babies shot almost as well as the Libourel bullet.

If your plague won't go away, consider ringing me up. Kind of wish I hadn't sold that revolver. If the price and condition of your piece are right, I might be able to relieve your distress.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 06-11-2019 at 10:47 AM.

The 25-3 that I mentioned in post #7 is one of the 125th Anniversary guns. It really likes 454190 and 452423 sized to .452. However, I tried 454424 in a bunch of different alloys over a bunch of different powders; Never could get it to work well in anything but a Contender 10" bull barrel.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    imagine how surprised and gratified I was to note the smallest was .452 and the largest of the 6 was .453. That revolver has become my favorite 45 Colt revolver, in fact I sold off 4 others as a consequence of the way this S&W 25-3 handles my cast hand loads.
    Imagine how gratified you would be with the groups it shot if all the throats were the same!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    My S&W 25 has the big throats and I just shoot big bullets. It shoots as well as I can these days.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    My S&W 25 has the big throats and I just shoot big bullets. It shoots as well as I can these days.
    I had exactly the same experience with a 25-5 back in the 1980s. Cylinder throats were .457"

I read Elmer Keith's book Sixgun Cartridges and Loads, (Samworth, 1936) where he talked about taking the Ideal #457191 bullet for the .45-90 Winchester and shortening it by one driving band. I took an RCBS 45-300FN mold for the .45-70 and had the blocks shortened to remove the GC heel to produce a .457" diameter, 280-grain flatbased bullet with big meplat.

The S&W shot that bullet great with either 7 grains of Unique or 8 grains of Herco. Never chronographed it, but load was a killer on deer at tree stand ranges. Later traded the S&W for a Ruger NM Blackhawk 4-5/8" convertible which DougGuy 10-years later reamed both cylinders for me so that I could shoot the same .454 bullets in that I shoot in my 1923 Colt New Service .45 Colt and 1914 Colt New Service .455 Eley. Accurate 45-264D is a good choice too.

Attachment 243407Attachment 243408Attachment 243409

Preferred heavy bullet for the .45 Colt these days is Accurate 45-290H with 7.2 grains of Bullseye measured with RCBS Little Dandy Rotor #13

Attachment 243405Attachment 243406
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-11-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    My 25-5 S&W is extremely accurate and a fun gun to shoot.

Douguy.....I have the throat reaming tooling to do it but it shoots better than I do now. I reamed 7 different Ruger NMBH 45 cylinders to get them in line; but I'm leaving this 25-3 where it is.

Boolit Master

Got an old 25-5 off gunbroker
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814171115
    took it out and shot it today with light loads
    What fun, what fun
    I had loaded a bunch of ammo using the 200 grain 45ACP semi-wad bullet
    It just keep eating the center out of the small rifle target.
    Never measured the guns holes, and probably never will as it shot well.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    Douguy.....I have the throat reaming tooling to do it but it shoots better than I do now. I reamed 7 different Ruger NMBH 45 cylinders to get them in line; but I'm leaving this 25-3 where it is.
    The reamer will not cut even sized holes, it is actually very dependent on the hardness of the cylinder itself, and with Ruger there are a LOT of variations. In fact, the only real constant thing I can truthfully say after reaming and honing a couple thousand by now, is that they are very inconsistent.

A cylinder that is very hard to turn the reamer in, will finish with a much smaller diameter throat than a softer one and certainly smaller than a S&W cylinder which are much softer and easier to cut and very very consistent in the metallurgy.

Ruger cylinders by contrast, most often have one side of the cylinder harder than the other, or sometimes one or two throats are near impossible to ream, and the others cut like butter. This is more common than I would have ever guessed, and those hard to cut holes, do in fact finish smaller. Some will finish and a .452" minus pin, will NOT go through the throat that the .4525" reamer JUST went through. Reamer crush? Likely. Fact of life with Ruger cylinders, the only workaround is to finish sizing the throats with a stepless method.

Without the Sunnen hone, I would not be able to deliver cylinders with throats within a few tenths of a thousandth in size.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I wouldn't sweat a slightly over sized throat. The undersized throats are the problem. When bullet comes through its sized and if bore is larger you got problems. Some guns upset enough to make up for it other don't.
    I've got 3 m25s. Two are right on spec and one is undersized. It shoots cast 250gr fine but doesn't shoot WCs as well as the other 2.
    Undersized throats can be reamed or honed to a larger diameter. You can’t make a big throat smaller, though.

My impression is by the -5 change they had fixed it. If you’re inspecting one for purchase, take a .452 cast slug and see how easily it goes through.

My 1973 25-2 runs about .4545.

I have a Ideal 322gr HP Gould Express that I shaved mould and increased dia" of Hp to end up with 272gr HP.
    I originally did this for a Colt NS in 455 Eley. It shoots fine with 4.5gr Unique. Shot as cast. I think it's only about 600fps. Never tried in in 25s. I have on -5 that is pinned and two that aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Got an old 25-5 off gunbroker
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814171115
    took it out and shot it today with light loads
    What fun, what fun
    I had loaded a bunch of ammo using the 200 grain 45ACP semi-wad bullet
    It just keep eating the center out of the small rifle target.
    Never measured the guns holes, and probably never will as it shot well.
    Mike
    You know how to break a guys heart brother. I just had a 25-5 spotted on Gbroker with an almost reasonable "buy now". While I was wringing my hands in procrastination, it vanished! Apparently somebody else was not waiting to see how high the bid was going and pulled the trigger(pun intended). You scored a heck of a deal in that 25-5 of yours. I guess I'll just keep the search going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast