Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Willow Armory Ballard

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Like Marliman says, you can run smokeless, just keep it mild.

However, you've got a black powder action design, shooting a cartridge that was intended for a full case of black. A workable smokeless load is going to give you a lot of empty space, probably less consistent ignition, less consistent barrel time, and a little less accuracy because of it. Black powder is a pain in the butt for repeaters, revolvers, and the like. The single shots don't have as many nooks and crannies to contend with, and Hodgdon's Triple 7 is a pretty good, easily cleaned substitute. Rubbing alcohol instead of Hoppe's, oil as usual afterwards, and you're golden.

In the case of a Ballard - any Ballard - shooting a classic big volume BPCR cartridge, the original family of propellants is really where "home" is. If you want to run smokeless as your primary, and have some flexibility doing it, a Highwall is probably your baby.
    I’d like to weigh in here on this gun and this specific issue... powder and cleaning. I felt the same way as Bigslug prior to joining the North-South Skirmish Association. Now two things have changed. First, I won’t use anything but actual black powder rather than any BP substitutes, all of which are just as likely to cause fouling and corrosion with insufficient cleaning. Second, cleaning after shooting BP is actually pretty easy, especially with a single shot like the Ballard. A mix of soap and water or one of the mixtures of soaps and alcohol (I favor a mix of isopropyl, peroxide and Murphy’s Oil Soap in equal proportions) repeated a day or two later and followed by a good oiling and you should never have a problem.

Finally, a comment on the chambering... the 40-65 is a sort of modernized update on the old BP cartridges of a century plus ago. It has been designed and tested to be good for modern BP games like Silhouette, and that’s what I would plan to use it for. Others, not so much. JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Some thoughts:
    Mac, if you like the Red Willow Ballard's configuration, want to work with the caliber and cartridge, and the price is attractive, just buy it. I've had one of the Red Willow Ballard Pacific models since new. .45-70 caliber. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any black powder equivalent load of smokeless in that gun. NO HOT ROD LOADS. Review Lyman's cast bullet handbook and other BPCR books of good repute. Follow any load data rated for Trapdoor Springfield pressures and you will *safely* get a lifetime of enjoyment out of the rifle.

Regarding Froggie's comments about the ease of shooting black, I'd agree wholeheartedly about the ease of cleaning the gun. I also shoot N-SSA (3rd US Reg Infantry)

I would depart from his comments and say that in addition to cleaning the gun, you must also clean the BRASS if you load BP. Drop used cartridges directly in a plastic container with a good slug of white vinegar to neutralize BP fouling and then you can attack this task whenever you choose within the next several days. Get one of the modern Pope-style re-/de-capper tools, pop primers out and scrape pockets, then scrub or ultrasound-clean your brass with mildly acidic solution and a bit of detergent to remove any leftover bullet lube. Dry, tumble if you like shiny, but stained brass shoots every bit as well as shiny, and saves time .

Finally, if you DO decide to shoot BP, the extra money spent on Swiss or Old Eynesford is well worth it. Much cleaner and more consistent burning than other brands, and barrel fouling remains softer. You can often shoot a decent shot string in a breechloader without more than a blow tube between shots (though match grade accuracy usually demands some form of wiping at high levels of competition) Loading BPCR is an art all its own. Lots of recipes for wad columns, lube recipes, loading styles, breech seat vs fixed ammo. Tons of fun and experimentation to play with if your a bullet caster and handloader! Have at it!!
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Shooting BP might not be hard, but nobody can convince me it's easier than smokeless. Doesn't matter if it's during the shooting process, afterwards cleaning, or cleaning brass.
    Can't shoot all day, or all weekend with BP and not have to stop and clean at some point. And if you're smart you'll clean at the end of the day, and again the next day to prevent after rust. Seen more than one bore ruined because the shooter cleaned it and never went back the next day to check and give it another cleaning.
    And seen brass ruined from not thoroughly cleaning, or waiting too long before cleaning. It's just a fact that BP needs more cleaning, and more careful cleaning.
    But it is extremely accurate if the shooter knows what he's doing, and does everything correctly. Smokeless takes less maintenance, and less work, but also isn't quite as accurate in old style guns. But that really depends on the shooter and his loading with either propellant.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the additional comments. I'm still circling the airport on this while I gather funds. Seller isn't in a hurry so I have time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12