Reloading EverythingInline FabricationPBcastcoRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Groove dia. PP, last match

Boolit Buddy

Groove dia. PP, last match

Just back from the Alsfeld BP matches, 2 matches at 300m.
    The 1st one is the Alsfelder buffalo, 20 shots at 300 using the 300m ISSF target. This is a pretty challenging target, the 10-ring at about 1 1/4 moa.
    As usual, with the German crowd, some pretty good shooting was going on. This is shooting with sling only, no support. No scores yet, but unfortunately I didn't perform too well ��.
    Shots were either going high or low, the 10-ring kept evading me...��. Basically, a match to forget. Conditions were pretty challenging, pretty gusty wind doing weird things....
    Next day I also shot the German 300m BP championship, 10 shots at 300 for match rifle.
    This time I did a bit better, ending with a 88, the winner shooting 90. Shooting was so close that I ended 5th, 2 others with the same score before me.
    The load I was shooting in my no. 2 Musket match rifle was a groove-dia. PP bullet just about filling the case neck. It does seem to work OK: this is a 520gr. 16:1 Metford-profile bullet in front of 78gr of Swiss Fg. I only shot 2 in the 10-ring, 5 in the 9-ring, 2 in the 8-ring and a #@& 7....
    Still, not too unhappy, and it seems the load/rifle combination shows promise.
    Wiping regime was a bore pig, followed by a dry patch. Now to try the same with Swiss 1 1/2 Fg and vary seating depth a bit to try and find the sweet spot. It just never stops....
    Last edited by martinibelgian; 06-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Gert I have not shot with a sling the way you guys do, but I have noticed that shooting from a wrist rest if the height isn't spot on where it needs to be it can throw as much vertical into the target as having cross ticks a bit to high or low can.
    Any way hope you get it straightened out.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Sling tension becomes important also since it can affect the rifles and recoil control.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, the 10-ring is 1 1/4 MOA (made a mistake above), the 9-ring 2 1/4 MOA. Nobody shot a perfect score yet - and it probably won't happen with our BP single shots . Last year, someone did shoot a 96 though...

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    That's sort of like the 500 yard target we shoot in midrange, very small x ring, and the score rings are pretty tight. 1/2 minute change on the sight goes a very long way..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.