MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester pre64 70 vs 54 parts interchange?

Winchester pre64 70 vs 54 parts interchange?

I have an model 54 Winchester bolt action rifle that I would like to upgrade for better convenience and different caliber.
    Is it possible to use the bottom metal of the Pre 64 in place the fixed metal trigger guard bow of the model 54 for easier access to drop out non fired rounds? If it takes some inletting and stock work I could do that if it is possible that the metal be in correct alignment of the action.
    Also my Model 54 barrel is of the old contour with the dog knot sight part and is 24” long does the contour of the pre 64 model 70s follow this same type of contour very close?
    Although I do like the contour I would like to change barrels if it is close and the threads are correct.
    Just somethings I would like to know that are not listed in any book or internet postings I have found.
    Thank you
    Ron

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've never tried it. You might call Brownell's for some input.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I would suggest that there are a few crucial dimensions that should be documented before comparing parts.

For the bottom metal fit/doability, measure the exact center-to-center distance between the front/rear guard screws.

For the barrel, measure the distance of the barrel's sight swell/bulge from the front edge of the receiver ring.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Got you a .270, didn't you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

During the transition for the 54 to the 70 Winchester used the remaining 54 parts on the 70's. Barrel threads are the same. I have seen a couple of pre-war 70's with 35 stamped barrels. They would have been made for 54's

This is a good site for information. Lots of parts but price is on the high side.

https://pre64win.com/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-10-2019 at 05:45 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    My suggestion: let the 54 alone, it has charm, desirability, and collectibility all of its own. (Personally I prefer the 54 over the 70.) If it's a caliber change or simply a desire for different bottom metal then sell the 54 and use the money to buy a 70. Again personally, I never found fault with any 54's, Mausers, Savage M1920's, or '03 Springfields that I had to take an extra few seconds of time to unload a magazine from the top. Heck, I even do it that way with my 70's more often than not.

Texas By God, no it wasn't a 270, gnoahhh knows what it is as we talked about his and did a autopsy of his to see what makes it work.
    The rifle is in bad shape and needs stock and other things but I have plans for it, keeping it a 54 but not a 54. I need one of the schanable front end model 54 stocks for it, that is my starting point but if I were to find a prewar stock of the same I would use it and use the prewar bottom metal of the 70 as an upgrade. I intend to use the dogknot rear sight type barrel if I find the right caliber in a 24" or 26".
    Ron

Sounds like a neat project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

when looking for a stock for the model 54 did Winchester only make the one length action?
    When did Winchester start making the model 70 in a short, long and magnum length?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    All Model 54 actions were the same length.

Boolit Grand Master

All pre 64 Model 70 actions are one length. Same for 54's.

https://pre64win.com/blogs/welcome-t...286-first-post

Not sure when Winchester started producing short actions. They make short and long. They do not make a magnum length. Magnum length is a standard length 30/06 with and longer mag and receiver open for the longer H&H based cartridges.

https://chuckhawks.com/win_70.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-12-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

you guys are good!
    many thanks

Do you know if any of the model 54s or prewar 70s had a front sight that was sweated on or screwed on? cant seem to find a barrel maker that can do a factory contour that uses the forged or milled on front ramp.
    Ron

If you google "pre-war Winchester model 70 front sight ramp for sale", you can find a gennie to install.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    The 54 I have has the front sight base machined integral with the barrel and has a center slot into which the blade is placed and drilled for a solid pin to hold it in place. Mine is a 30-30 carbine action.Barrel was toast so now looking for a suitable replacement. Paid $75 bucks for it many many years ago. To get an idea of how long ago I bought it, Griffin & Howe did a Winchester 70 style bolt handle for the grand sum of $40 bucks. Way back when. As far as I know you cannot use a modern trigger for a M70 on a 54. Two different styles of trigger sears. But if you convert the 54 trigger sear to a M70 style you should be good to go. Either Rifle or Handloader at one time detailed the how to on the conversion. Frank

Anyone know what parts are needed or what machining is necessary to put on one of the side swing safeties on the 54? Tilden I think they called them? I think I can manufacture the trigger OK?