RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry is making LOADING GATE guns!!!

Henry is making LOADING GATE guns!!!

WWG1WGA

Banned
    Yup. That has been known for a while now.

Henry is making LOADING GATE guns!!!

Yeah. But only in brass receivers (so far). And they are keeping the stupid tube loading feature . Anyone that has taken a Henry out of a scabbard and had all the rounds dump out because the loading tube cap got twisted won’t like that feature. Which is the whole reason I don’t own one. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I think the gate and the tube make for perfection
    I really like what Henry is doing

If they left off the tube loading it would be a quality Marlin!
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Saw one at lgs, and yes, brass only. Forget the caliber, think it was 30-30.

Boolit Master

If you really hate the tube loading you can always put a set-screw in it to cancel it.

I'm sure aftermarket will make them only a loading gate gun. Give it time...This is big news.

Boolit Master
    Now if they would just change to a top-eject, they would have a very nice Winchester clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Now if they would just change to a top-eject, they would have a very nice Winchester clone.
    I like the way you think.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had a chance to see one in 30-30 at a LGS the other day . . . not trying to cause a big debate . . . here's my take on it though . . . .

Henry rifles have always been tube feed - even the "original" 1860 . . . no . . a tube fee isn't for everyone . . . we all like "different" things . . . some like apples and some like oranges.

When I saw the Henry with the loading gate . . . I personally thought it looked "odd" . . . yes, Henry is trying to satisfy all those who have complained about no loading gate . . . yes, the rifle has the loading gate AND the tubular magazine loading system.

Springfield pointed out an excellent solution to those that want a Henry with a loading gate but who hate the tubular magazine . . . fifteen minutes of work can take care of that . . . drill a hole through the tube and insert and thread the hole and insert a screw . . . walla . . . . you've lied the tubular magazine so it will not work as intended but the side loading gate will.

"Now if they would just change it to a top-eject they would have a very nice clone".

I think it's interesting all of the comments I've read on the various forums about "if they would just change" . . . and my question is why? If they did, would you buy one? Why would you buy one? Because Henry makes a good quality rifle, gives excellent customer service and if there is an issue they'll make it right . . but you want it to look like a Winchester or a Marlin or whatever? Why not just buy a Winchester, Marlin or whatever if you like what they look like? I'm not being argumentative . . . I'm just making an observance . . . .

If Henry changed their designs to clone others . . . they would no longer be Henry. Henry has their own design just like Winchester and Marlin do . . . not to mention all of the other "clones" such as Uberti. A Chevy is a Chevy and a Ford is a Ford . . . and a Henry is a Henry.

I have owned a number of Winchesters over the years as well as a Marlin . . . yep . . they were excellent rifles . . shot well . . functioned fine . . . no complaints. Many on here have owned Winchesters, Marlins, Rossi, Uberti . . and probably owned multiples of them . . . because they like them. The same with those that own Henrys . . . they own multiples because they like them . . they shoot well, they are good quality and excellent customer service . . . no . . they are not "historically correct" in terms of being a copy of an actual "historical rifle" . . other than their true Henry copy. They are a "Henry Firearm".

I'm changing things up and have sold some rifles as well as downsized in the number of calibers/cartriges I'm reloading. I have been in the market for a 38/357 and 45LC lever gun and I think I have looked, re-looked and struggled over what to get. Last week, I bough a steel Henry BB in 357 and love it. Well made, high quality, slick action and well balanced. The tube magazine doesn't bother me a bit . . but that's me and the next guy might hat it . . . and that's fine too. If I HAD to have a loading gate . . I would have bought a Winnie or a Marlin . . . I wanted a good, functional rifle that I knew had good customer service.

What I find a little confusing is why folks want to have Henry change what has proven to be good designs, good sellers and rifles that are desirable to some . . . so much so that they own not one but a rack of them . . just like those that own Winnies and Marlins? If Henry completely re-designed their lever action rifles to clone Winchesters, etc. . . . loading gates only and top eject . . . I'm just curious as to how desirable they would be to a portion of consumers who are completely satisfied with how they are . . . or would they just turn in to "another choice" for those who want a lever gun and have to decide between a Rossi, a Winchester, a Marlin, a Uberti . . . .

I just consigned a vintage Marlin336SC and a Winchester 94 Ranger . . both in 30-30 because I don't shoot them much anymore, BUT, if I run across a nice vintage Winchester 94 in 30-30 or 32 Special that's a good shooter, I'll buy it. Why? Because it's a Winchester. I love the Henry 357 I just got . . . will I buy another Henry? Yep? Why? Because, based on the Henry 357 I have now, I'm totally satisfied with the rifle "just as it is" . . . not a Winchester "wanna be" . . . if I want a Winchester, then I'll buy a Winchester.

Again . . . not trying to cause an argument or dispute . . . just an observance and others will have other opinions . . and that's fine.

Boolit Grand Master

I think it is odd too. Not the loading gate, that is just supply and demand. I think it's odd people are still complaining about the only thing people have been asking for.

Now the SASS crowd has their wish for a quicker reloading starter gun. For most of us, the tube was the better system anyway. I despise loading gates. It's the same reason I will not own a Remington shotgun.

Now people want a top eject Henry? Wow. Nostalgia is one thing, but I would really like to see the argument how it could possibly be a superior design to a side eject.

Say what you want about Henry, they are a great company doing it right. There is only one single thing wrong, and that is a lack of qualified gunsmiths. That is, no gunsmith in the USA is willing to work on a Henry, any model, beyond basic setup or repair.

Boolit Master
    I wish Henry would make a small caliber like 25-20 or 32-20 with a slightly faster twist than the old 1x20. Probably be a good seller and cheaper than an old 92 winnie. Otherwise I'm going to send out my low wall to have the barrel relined with a slightly faster twist than they used. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I think it is odd too. Not the loading gate, that is just supply and demand. I think it's odd people are still complaining about the only thing people have been asking for.

Now the SASS crowd has their wish for a quicker reloading starter gun. For most of us, the tube was the better system anyway. I despise loading gates. It's the same reason I will not own a Remington shotgun.

Now people want a top eject Henry? Wow. Nostalgia is one thing, but I would really like to see the argument how it could possibly be a superior design to a side eject.

Say what you want about Henry, they are a great company doing it right. There is only one single thing wrong, and that is a lack of qualified gunsmiths. That is, no gunsmith in the USA is willing to work on a Henry, any model, beyond basic setup or repair.
    Cowboy action shooting, both SASS and NCOWS, require top eject. Not only for being historically accurate, but also for safety concerns. The loading gate is irrelevant.

Boolit Master

I do not shoot SASS or any of the other cowboy style shoots... What does top eject have to do with safety? My old Winchester is top eject and I like it much less for that "feature".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I do not shoot SASS or any of the other cowboy style shoots... What does top eject have to do with safety? My old Winchester is top eject and I like it much less for that "feature".
    Has to do with the person standing immediately to your right holding the timer, and also other folks in the near vicinity. An empty shell that is ejected straight up usually falls harmlessly to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Has to do with the person standing immediately to your right holding the timer, and also other folks in the near vicinity. An empty shell that is ejected straight up usually falls harmlessly to the ground.
    Or down the back of your shirt.

Logically thinking what is safer? A very hot cartridge going up and over you...Or a very hot cartridge going to the right of you at 3:30-4:00 angle?

Stupid rules

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

Lets be honest here...

The only use a lever action has is nostalgia. Much like a revolver, time has produced better designed firearms. Very few if any arguments can be made why a lever gun or revolver would be beneficial over a newer design gun.

So if I want a side ejecting lever I'll stick to my Marlin JMs. Otherwise give me all of them in top ejecting. Why? Because I feel much more authentic that way #outlawlife

For me...the choice of calibers is much more important than the addition of the loading gate. I've always recommended through their "suggestion page" that they chamber for the 35 Rem. I'm sure many others from this forum have made similar suggestions and that is where the 38-55 addition also came from.

I have their 45-70 without a loading gate and I love the rifle. Its easy to load, and unload (actually safer to unload the tube by dumping than it is to crank each round through the action with the hammer cocked) If you have to load super fast more than the 5 shots that it holds....then the game is already gone and you've blown your chance at a harvest.

So for me...the addition or lack of loading gate makes no difference...but caliber choice is much higher on my list.

I personally love the couple of Henry's that I own now...and will certainly purchase more in the future.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I haven't seen this much "controversy" since Henry started with the name "Henry". Really simple, no one is forcing anyone to buy anything and if there are things about Winchester that better suit your need/shooting laws, then by all means buy a Winchester. If there is something about a Henry that one finds offensive, don't buy one, and don't whine about all the shortcomings of a Henry. FWIW I couldn't afford a Winchester when I bought my 44 Mag Puma, but I new that right from the beginning my M92 won't be up to Winchester M92 features/standards.

BTW my "to eject" Puma tosses brass upward and to the right and cases land about 4 o'clock and 4 ft to my right, but I never shoot in a crowd...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast