Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1886 conversion to 50 Alaskan

Boolit Master

1886 conversion to 50 Alaskan

Anyone here had experience with converting an 1886 45-70 to a 50 Alaskan? Is it as simple as sending it to Jesse Ocumpaugh (JES reboring) and just having it reamed out/rebored to 50 Alaskan? Or are there other "issues" that must be dealt with?

Boolit Buddy
    Im not sure about the 1886, but ive read of win 1894's and 1895 Marlins being converted to 50 Alaskan....

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    Anyone here had experience with converting an 1886 45-70 to a 50 Alaskan? Is it as simple as sending it to Jesse Ocumpaugh (JES reboring) and just having it reamed out/rebored to 50 Alaskan? Or are there other "issues" that must be dealt with?
    I think that is a straightforward conversion - maybe some fiddling with the cartridge lifter - perhaps not appropriate to an original winchester but the newer browning / miroku or a model 71 for sure

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Im not sure about the 1886, but ive read of win 1894's and 1895 Marlins being converted to 50 Alaskan....
    As far as I know the .50 Alaskan is a .348 Win. necked up- it won't fit in a Win 94 or a Marlin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    As far as I know the .50 Alaskan is a .348 Win. necked up- it won't fit in a Win 94 or a Marlin.

The '86 should be alright. The 348's parent case is the 50-110. But I haven't seen a 94 or Marlin monkeyed with enough to accept the cartridge length necessary - but I'll bet someone has tried it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, what will a .50 Alaskan kill that a 45/70 won't? Just have a want for something bigger? I guess I don't get the whole wildcatting conversion thing. Not saying you shouldn't, just curious.

I had a m71 Win in 450 Alaskan. My gunsmith had done the work and got stuck with the rifle. It was rebarreled with a Douglas. This was in 60s and he had been doing several because it was the subject of a lot of gun rags at the time. I think on the original 71s the only thing that needed twinked was the cartridge guides. I don't remember if carrier had to be contoured. I know he turned down at least one request to build a 50 Alaskan on a 1886 in 33Win. Now days good 86s and 71s are worth so much you don't see many getting customized to wildcats.

Boolit Mold
    Well That brainstorm will ruin the value of that Winchester

Boolit Buddy
    The .50 Alaskan is based on the .348 case which is based on the .50-110 case which was an original chambering in the 1886 Winchester... Why not go with the .50-110 if you're going with a custom conversion like this?

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalShip View Post
    Well That brainstorm will ruin the value of that Winchester
    He could be talking about a new Miroku made Winchester...

According to Regan Nonnemann a Marlin 336 will work for a 50 Alaskan conversion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67132CFE-B564-4579-B7CB-764FC48FCEAE.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	243346

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Why would you want to do it? A .45/70 is enough gun for North America, including Alaska. Sell or keep it and buy another gun, if that’s really what you want.

I do agree that I would not alter an original 1886 or 71 unless it was a basket case.

Re: 336 Marlin/ 94 Win- gonna have to thin an already thin action to put that big old rim in there. But I see that it's being done- not for me thanks. I agree with the 45-70 recommendations.

Boolit Master
    Well, I've already got a Browning 1886 SRC in 45-70, and for those of you that question whether anything bigger than 45-70 is necessary, you're right, it isn't. No argument here.

And I surely wouldn't convert a real Winchester.

I would be converting a Miroku made "Winchester" that's already had some modifications to the barrel. The reason? Best answer I can give is "just because I can", and would be changing something that has already been modified. I know I wouldn't even consider converting a stock unchanged Miroku.

Bigger, fatter, a little more unusual, I dunno.... I just kinda had an itch for something different. Mostly just one more reason to buy more reloading stuff, I guess. Dies, moulds, sizing dies, brass, probably a different powder.....more moulds....the garage isn't full enough yet. And then hours and hours of figuring out the best load.... Dang! this rifle is too heavy to carry in the woods, the muzzle blast will knock you down, and I haven't seen any tyrannosaurs....Not even a grizzley in my neck of the woods. Doggone thing is sure gonna hurt my shoulder....And how do I rationally explain to my wife it was worth it?

I had thought about the 50-110, but I believe it's a little longer, where the 50 Alaskan is the same length as the 45-70, I was trying to steer away from as many feeding problems as possible.

Keep workin' guys, maybe you can talk me out of this.
    ( I was trying to add one of those big smiley-faces here, but can't get it to work)

Boolit Buddy
    Check out the youtube channel Leverguns 50... He's got a Miroku Browning 1886 converted to .50-110, it'll make you want one!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkCreek View Post
    Check out the youtube channel Leverguns 50... He's got a Miroku Browning 1886 converted to .50-110, it'll make you want one!
    I'll do that. I'm not locked into the 50 Alaskan, it just seemed a bit easier. I'll have to find out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    Well, I've already got a Browning 1886 SRC in 45-70, and for those of you that question whether anything bigger than 45-70 is necessary, you're right, it isn't. No argument here.

And I surely wouldn't convert a real Winchester.

I would be converting a Miroku made "Winchester" that's already had some modifications to the barrel. The reason? Best answer I can give is "just because I can", and would be changing something that has already been modified. I know I wouldn't even consider converting a stock unchanged Miroku.

Bigger, fatter, a little more unusual, I dunno.... I just kinda had an itch for something different. Mostly just one more reason to buy more reloading stuff, I guess. Dies, moulds, sizing dies, brass, probably a different powder.....more moulds....the garage isn't full enough yet. And then hours and hours of figuring out the best load.... Dang! this rifle is too heavy to carry in the woods, the muzzle blast will knock you down, and I haven't seen any tyrannosaurs....Not even a grizzley in my neck of the woods. Doggone thing is sure gonna hurt my shoulder....And how do I rationally explain to my wife it was worth it?

I had thought about the 50-110, but I believe it's a little longer, where the 50 Alaskan is the same length as the 45-70, I was trying to steer away from as many feeding problems as possible.

Keep workin' guys, maybe you can talk me out of this.
    ( I was trying to add one of those big smiley-faces here, but can't get it to work)
    why would we wanna talk you out of it ? when you get done you can post lots of cool pics of big boolits blowing up concrete blocks and punching holes in railway track plates. I have been tempted a couple times to convert my B71 .....but then I watched my daddy recover from a shoulder reconstruction .....................................an that 71 is nice like it is.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast