Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Cell phone ID

in Remebrance

Cell phone ID

Anybody know how to ID an Apple? I'll spare you the involved story of me and an Android, anyway this thing belonged to my dear wife is a couple years old, and the only external mark is "S" on the back. Trying to decide whether to keep and use or just shell out the bucks. I suppose AT&T could 'splain it next trip to town. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Banned

probably a 5s, decent phone, I have one.

or the ID that is ON the phone (exterior) or the ID you get when scrolling around in the phone settings?

I'd keep it.

Banned

in Remebrance
    Phone is locked. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Banned
    I’d get a new phone. Apple stops pushing updates to their older phones, making them frustratingly difficult to use.

Moderator Emeritus

GW -- a very abbreviated procedure:
    1/ Turn on 'phone and go to SETTINGS
    2/ Scroll down to ABOUT
    The 'phone info will appear: Name of 'phone; Software version, MODEL NAME (e.g., "iPhone 7 plus", as an example), followed by the Model Number and Serial Number. Also, the CARRIER (service provider)
    Here's where things may be a tad sketchy: I am of understanding that many folks have their respective iPhones "on contract" -- e.g., one pays a monthly, kind of a pay-as-you-go fee each month for the 'phone, as well as the costs of their useage (calls, text, data, roaming, etc.). To enable slithering out of contracts, the 'phone is "LOCKED". Nothing more.
    IF you know who the provider (e.g., AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, or ???) was, AND if no money is owed for the purchase of the 'phone, I can see no reason why said provider won't cheerfully unlock it. I had an iPhone 6 (AT&T) when "towers" were messed with to enable higher-than-3g service, and signal became quite spotty at camp. I learned that Verizon worked well; less than 5 minutes at AT&T store, followed by maybe a 45-minute wait had me "unlocked"; I switched to new (Verizon) carrier over the 'phone, retaining all my contacts, same 'phone number, etc. And, all termination/switching was free!
    The only caveat being, as already stated, the iPhone you have is owned free and clear.
    GOOD LUCK; and -- sorry to read of the loss of your wife.
    Finally, IF your want is simply to make and receive calls, and perhaps text messages -- ANY model should serve you well. The greatest consideration, imho, might be the battery life -- some 'phone batteries, if not regularly used/charged, develop a not-very-long service time.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A cell phone repair expert probably can unlock it, I helped someone who was into that study for college a while back and they had tools that could do about everything, at work. Might have to erase all data and end up with a "factory reset" phone as a result. Not sure (if it is indeed a 5s) that the phone's worth a whole lot, but can understand sentimental value, of course.

ADMIN

Cell phone ID

its a Iphone 6S
    they put the S on the back because it looked identical to the regular 6 model.
    the regular 6 model has a issue with a controller that will fail if you aren't careful and let the frame of the phone get bent.

On apples you need to be careful because they can be locked to the cloud (ICLOUD LOCKED)
    If thats the case then they are useless unless you know the information to unlock them.

Verizon Iphones come Sim unlocked so you can use them on any network.
    The rest of the companies lock the sim so it can only be used with their service. You can get them unlocked for a fee and most of the time the original company will unlock it if you ask them.
    Last edited by HATCH; 06-10-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A friend's sister passed away and they had to go through some distressing rigamarole to get her phone unlocked, as it was locked with a fingerprint. Most couples I know have all applicable passwords locked in the gun safe, in a handy little book, make it a good safe if you do this of course...