MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataPBcastcoRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Paper patch vs GG cast in 30-06

Paper patch vs GG cast in 30-06

Just interested in peoples real world results, with regard to accuracy of the 2 bullet types? I have both PP mould and several GG moulds, but I am chasing the most accurate. I really like the nice clean bore from PP bullets. I'm leaning towards perservering with the PP at this point.
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

How fast do want to drive them?

I have tried a low velocity lightweight PP boolit that held it's paper jacket through the target. What this means is that there is no fuss on getting the patch to disintegrate correctly without distorting the boolit base. Kinda like the best of both worlds. It does take a reasonably smooth bore and preferably one with rounded rifling edges so as not to cut the patch. That same boolit in another gun shot very accurately. Something like 3 or 5 grs BullsEye equivalent behind a 141 or 147 gr boolit in a 303 Brit. Good for rabbits and paper targets.

This one was fired through a mint bore two-groove. I have no idea what powder charge was used but the flattening would indicate not too anemic.

The point is that low velocity paper patch can work if that is all that is needed.

Then I have very worn martini carbine barrel on a No1 action that shoots quite fast before the patch disintegrates and at the point of full disintegration the boolits shot MOA with iron sights (or close enough). Estimated velocity was around 1800 fps, perhaps slower.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Would 5R rifling form work for the paper patch on a light load? I've got a Mauser .30-06 with bad bore that is fixing to get re-barreled, and I would really like to be able to feed it a paper patched load for the kind of apps I would use a lead .30-30 to handle....

I've shot cast lead GC out of the 5R before, so I know what I'm looking at for that kind of load.