Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Kahr CW9

Boolit Master

Kahr CW9

Anyone have experience with the Kahr CW9? Been shopping around for something a little more "compact" than my 3" SP101 and have a line on a (very!) lightly used CW9 from an individual at reasonable price. The one I handled at my LGS felt pretty good in my hand but haven't had the opportunity to actually shoot one so, before I drive 50 miles to meet with the seller, I'd appreciate any impressions, experiences (good or bad) anyone would care to share.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I have a CM9 and like it very much.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Banned
    If it's reasonably priced, get in the car and make that drive !

The CW9 is essentially the polymer framed version of the K9 (7 round mag, approximately 3.5" barrel)

I've owned several Kahr handguns in the past and they are very good guns. A friend has a MK9 that was one of the early MK9 pistols and it has had held up extremely well with thousands of rounds through it. I had a Kahr K9 that I gave to a friend that needed a pistol for self-defense and I would not have equipped him with that gun if I didn't trust it.

Before Glock finally got their head out of the sand and produced a small, single stack 9mm pistol, I recommended the Kahr for that class of pistol. The Kahr functions a lot like a Glock. The trigger is sort of a combination between a DA and a light but long SA.
    The Kahr's are extremely well made (especially the all stainless models), they are very reliable, durable and are nearly snag-proof. They carry well and the polymer framed versions are fairly light overall despite the amount of steel in the slide/barrel.

The only Kahr's that I personally know of that had problems were the early production micro polymer framed models chambered in 40 S&W. and one particular steel MK9 that was shot extensively with +P+ loads. I did see several of the small polymer framed (PM40) models that would not function reliably or would break. Don't know if Kahr fixed those issues. The polymer ones in 9mm worked fine.
    BTW, Kahr repaired that MK9 that was damaged by excessive use of +P+ ammunition and they didn't charge for that repair. Other than that one pistol that was abused, I've never seen a problem with a Kahr chambered in 9mm.

As CCW the Kahr has a lot going for it. Simple, safe, very flat, reliable, rounded exterior and a durable finish.

I would not hesitate to purchase a Kahr in 9mm.

The CW9 isn't going to be much smaller than your current 3" SP101 but it will be thinner and probably lighter. And if capacity is important to you, it holds a few more rounds than your SP101.

Banned
    While we're talking Kahr stuff, allow me to toss this out there.
    Kahr recommends 200 rounds be fired through the pistol for break in and that is coming straight out of the owner's manual.
    They aren't kidding ! I've seen brand new "out of the box" Kahr pistols hiccup a little during the first 50 or so rounds and settle down after that. With the exception of the early Kahr PM40 models, I never saw a Kahr with functioning problems after that break in was observed.

Boolit Master
    Have a CW9, PM9 and a P380...zero issues with any of them...

Just bought the PM9 (upgraded CM9) a couple of weeks ago wanting something bigger than the P380 but smaller than the Commander I usually carry. Have been very happy with the gun and would MUCH rather have this than a snubby...

Weight loaded is right at 20oz. Slips into the belt and you don't even notice it is there...

Have put about 75 rounds through it of handloads, hardball and CorBon 115 JHPs and it it ate them all up...

Shooting wise, mild recoil and very fast recovery....

It is somewhat smaller than the CW9... I've got about 200 rounds or so through the CW and zero issues there either. A friend liked mine so much he bought the upgraded P9 to be able to get the night sights. Great trigger pull and very accurate...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 06-10-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Master

I have a CW9, got it off a co-worker who said it jammed too much. Turned out the tiny crooked spring that holds the slide stop down had broken off a leg, probably during re-assembly after cleaning. Swapped out the spring, and jams went away. Good news is the pistol runs great, with all sorts of ammo. Bad news is I can't keep its shots on an 8" paper plate at 25 yards, which is my standard for "acceptable combat accuracy"
    Bottom line: The CW9 I have is an okay gun, but a fellow can probably do better.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Kahr CW9? Been shopping around for something a little more "compact" than my 3" SP101 and have a line on a (very!) lightly used CW9 from an individual at reasonable price. The one I handled at my LGS felt pretty good in my hand but haven't had the opportunity to actually shoot one so, before I drive 50 miles to meet with the seller, I'd appreciate any impressions, experiences (good or bad) anyone would care to share.

Bill
    Coming to a CW9 from a revolver you're gonna love the trigger.
    Kahr triggers are the closest to a double action revolver out of all the autos I've owned.
    You will love what that Kahr trigger feels like...
    jmo
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a CW 40 and love it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	243369
    I have one and think it to be an excellent firearm. I would buy one if I were at all interested in a concealable-but-not-pocketable-automatic.
    As a long time revolver shooter, I concur with the folks who praise the trigger pull and mine, at least, is reasonably accurate for a gun its size=4-6 inch groups at 25 yards. I have had mine for several years and have had zero jams or malfunctions. If it new, or the round count is low, I recommend that you cycle the slide two hundred times before firing it. Then disassemble it, clean and lube it. I recommend this for all semi-automatics, regardless of manufacture, to reduce the chance of a "break-in" malfunction. To my mind, it saves implanting that nagging worry that a malfunction or two can give to a CCW carrier. I just wish I could find one of the stainless P series.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 06-12-2019 at 01:34 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    I don't know why it took Glock 30 years to come out with the G43 but prior to the appearance of the G43 on the market, the Kahr pistols in 9mm were my top recommendation for a compact, single stack 9mm, concealed carry pistol. They were basically a single stack Glock before there was such a thing.
    While the G43 and CW9 aren't the exact same dimensions, they are in the same class.

The Kahr pistols have some very good engineering and they were ahead of the pack when they first appeared. The market has adapted and there are now plently of striker fired, single stack, small pistols chambered in 9mm. However the Kahr's continue to benefit from good engineering, good materials and good assembly quality.
    The Kahr's are quite simple but that's an excellent quality in a combat pistol.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-11-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I've owned two Kahrs, a CW40 that was unreliable even after three trips back to Kahr and a K40 that was totally reliable. Both shared great ergonomics, smooth clean triggers, and slim easy to carry profiles. I really wish the CW40 had worked. It seems that the CW9 model is more reliable. If you can get a good price on it (under $300) I would give it a try.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Boolit Buddy

I've owned a CW9 for many years. It's light, reliable and very accurate.
    Would highly recommend you make that deal if the price is right.

Boolit Master
    Had a CW45 I bought on impulse as the price was too good to pass up. Didn't care for the trigger, but then I was spoiled by the 1911. It had a tight throat as my loads that shot well in a 1911 required a smack to the rear of the slide to go into battery. I had to set back bullets deeper to run in that gun. Other than that it was reliable and comfortable to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    CW9 is excellent, I have had two of them. I sent them down the road only because the shape of the trigger and trigger guard pinched my finger and nothing could be done about it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have a PM9 accurate and no problems , I also have 4 other Kahrs , a TP45, P45, PM45 and a CW380
    The PM45 is for sale !

Boolit Grand Master

My CW40 works flawlessly and is accurate to boot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two CW’s in 9mm and two in .40 S&W

Very pleased with them
    Don Verna

I was teetering on the edge for a CT9 as well, but bought a TP9 as it was a good deal. Very nice guns for the money and feels great in my hands. If you can, go for a TP9 instead- same as a CT9 but with a few more ammenities (night sights, different barrel rifling, 2nd mag, dovetailed sights, ect). Very easy to conceal.