Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibratory tumblers from Harbour Freight.

Boolit Master

Vibratory tumblers from Harbour Freight.

Has anyone had one long enough to give a review? I'm looking at one, as my tumbler from Midway is old and probably on it's last legs. They seem to be bigger than the one that I have.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Some folks have had good enough luck with items from Harbor Freight. I have NOT. I will not darken their doors.

Boolit Master

I bought one, but have only used it a few times. It seems to be ok, didn't see any issues when I did use it.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

i like to use ss pins I have not heard any bad reports on Harbour freight vibraters

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have one after a bit of work it works great. Had to replace the threaded rod with a 1/4 inch one ( hardware store couple bucks ) the original stripped and wore a bigger hole in the top. Took a faucet washer and glued it in hole in lid added a lock washer to top. Haven't had a problem since. Been using about a year and a half. Original problems may have been due to my over loading it. It warns against it but i figure if it fits then it ain't overloaded. I can guarantee i went over the weight limit and still do. also use it to polish my cast bullets and i know they are a lot more than 5 pounds. Like i say had to do a little fixing up but since it has held up to some pretty hard abuse.

Boolit Master
    Most of the stuff I have bought at HF I go in with the attitude that what I am buying is disposable. If it doesn’t break during or after the first use then I’m ahead and may get to use it again. Though I have not been in my store for 5-6 yrs, I do admit that I have been suckered on a few items. So I find it best to shop elsewhere.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Tom W.

I spend little time with Harbor Freight. However, I have a nephew that is in the business of repair and rebuilding of large over head lifting equipment etc. He uses that outfit as a source of disposable tools. Use it and use it hard, then take it back and exchange for a new one.

I have gone through at least 4 vibrating case cleaners and the weak point is always the motor! That has been 3 from Midway and the last from RCBS.

I finally bit the bullet and have now bought a Dillon, and YES!!!!!!!!! there is a difference and a major one at that.

This Dillon is so smooth and doesn't dance off the bench as did the RCBS. The motor is ball bearing.

Higher cost, but I clearly got what I paid for.

I get a bit torqued, with tools no matter how low the cost that don't last and believe me when I say that at least three of those vibrating case cleaners died waaaaaaay before a reasonable amount of use. The RCBS even at the higher price then Midway gave up way, way, way, way too soon. Of course after the warranty of a year or so. BAD motor! Again!!

I don't like junk and for that reason do not buy from Harbor Freight unless I intend to use it and discard, or in the case of my set of letter stamps will use them on soft lead alloy and infrequently.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

After using the same high end one for several years, I've never found myself saying,
    "Gosh, I sure wish I'd gotten that el cheapo that may trash out after a few uses".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-09-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have both the large and small HF vibratory tumblers. they have worked well for me.
    I did have to use some edge trim to replace the seal on the large one's bowl, as I added some mineral spirits to my walnut to help control dust/cleaning, and the original swelled and came off. Other than that, I am very pleased with their performance.

Boolit Master

Harbor freight electric ran items not last. I have 2 Franklin arsonal tumblers from Academy. I run them hard. Been very happy with them. They are less in price too. Ok they went up. I paid 39.99. But here is a link.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...ord+Arsenal%22
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Harbor freight electric ran items not last. I have 2 Franklin arsonal tumblers from Academy. I run them hard. Been very happy with them. They are less in price too. Ok they went up. I paid 39.99. But here is a link.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...ord+Arsenal%22
    I bought an FA tumbler about 9 years ago. It has done well, with no problems. I wet tumble nowso it hasn't seen much use lately. Amazon has them for $41.24 and free shipping it you have prime or order over their minimun of $45 (I think it is). I thought I might offer mine for sale but the freight would be too high as it would be bulky.

Boolit Master

I have a Harbor freight dry tumbler. I've been using it for 2 years, and I have no complaints.

Boolit Master

I had issues with the power tools. Sounds like the tumblers are good.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have a fa tumbler that lasted 2 months that's what the harbor freight replaced. Had a midway before that that lasted over 25 years ( best tumbler i ever saw ). I don't believe in pampering things they ether take the pace or get out the race. I am in no hurry to tumble brass i can load it up to the max and let it run a day or so. If it says they will do 300 or 600 cartridges well thats just a suggestion.

Boolit Master
    Roger that. My one from Midway is old and doesn't seem to have the"spunk" that it used to have. I've been lucky I guess, as the stuff I've gotten from HF is still in one piece. I don't buy the cheapest stuff that they sell, but do shop to see which is better. There is an academy sports close by to browse through but the employees, even the older men and women, ain't the sharpest tacks in the box. They do try though, which is more than I can say for Walmart personnel.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I am a big fan of cheap , but Bottom end Chinese any thing electric or that requires properly hardened parts is out for me. And I do buy some things from Harbor Freight. I have 2 wood working benches that were cheap and are worth what they cost.
    Last edited by onelight; 06-10-2019 at 10:59 PM.

My HF tumbler is five years old now. It needed a lock washer to keep from shaking the top loose. No other problems.

Boolit Grand Master

My golden rule with Harbor Freight is if it has complex moving parts, run away. After exchanging the third generator, and second air compressor in the same month, I said enough. I've been using their rock tumbler for about a year, and it seems to be a decent unit. It was also the cheapest one I could find by far. In the case of the vibratory tumbler, the cheapest I'm seeing from HF is $55. You can find dry tumblers for the same price from better brands. I ran my Cabelas brand one for years until I switched to the ultra sonic cleaner. If HF makes a wet tumbler, I don't see it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    My golden rule with Harbor Freight is if it has complex moving parts, run away. After exchanging the third generator, and second air compressor in the same month, I said enough. I've been using their rock tumbler for about a year, and it seems to be a decent unit. It was also the cheapest one I could find by far. In the case of the vibratory tumbler, the cheapest I'm seeing from HF is $55. You can find dry tumblers for the same price from better brands. I ran my Cabelas brand one for years until I switched to the ultra sonic cleaner. If HF makes a wet tumbler, I don't see it.
    Don't see it? How did you use the "rock" tumbler? I bought their double and replaced the drums with pvc ones, worked good the two times I used it, then found a F.A.R.T for cheap.
    Last edited by Omega; 06-10-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Speeling
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    I'll probably get in trouble for saying this but when you buy cheap generally you buy junk. I was on my second tumbler or maybe I should say I went thru my second tumbler when I purchased the largest Dillon tumbler they make. Sure, it was more money but years later its still running and I had been going thru a tumbler every two years. Bottom line here.....you get what you pay for. Now you can buy cheap and keep buying cheap or you can make a smart move and simply buy once and buy right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast