Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil ... What is this stuff??

Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil ... What is this stuff??

I'm your average gun tinkerer that loves wood stocks that finds himself refinishing a stock every year or so. I love to use Tru-Oil & I can get a great finish of my choice. But the little 3 oz bottle it comes in has me pretty peeved[sic]-off! That little bottle, for sure, will finish several stocks, but once opened & resealed the child-proof lid glues itself on. Then when you need it & you manage to get it opened again, you have to break through a 1/4" of dried goop to get to fresh oil. After that you have to be careful not to get any loose particles on your stock! Topping that off, the cheapest I've found this is $8.44 at Walmart, which just seems like a lot for 3 oz of stuff. Is it just polyurethane or some other elixir the hardware store sells by the quart with a real lid? What is Tru-Oil?

Attachment 243284
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm sure you could look up the MSDS sheet to see what it is made of.

When done using, wipe the cap and neck clean. Seal tight, and store upside down.

I used Truoil on a couple hundred guns, but have now gone to tung oil. Gives a nice finish in less time. Just as easy to touch up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

A little search on the interweb found this.
    http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard....php?tid=12156

Cheers
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Wise suggestion from Waksupi; "When done using, wipe the cap and neck clean. Seal tight, and store upside down."
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I too do it as Waksupi. Use and wipe clean store cap down. You still get the skin but its on the bottom and this works for you as when using it holds the liquid up where you can get at it easier. I stoew paint in bottles and cans the same way. One warning make sure the caps lids are well sealed when doing this.

In Remembrance
    I still have some Tru-Oil and use it. Lately I have been using Tung Oil mixed 50-50 with mineral spirits. Have also made some finish from Polyurethane and mineral spirits, never added any linseed oil, although I may try that next. The TO/MS mix speeds up the drying time. Pure Tung oil takes a few days to harden up.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm sure you could look up the MSDS sheet to see what it is made of.

When done using, wipe the cap and neck clean. Seal tight, and store upside down.

I used Truoil on a couple hundred guns, but have now gone to tung oil. Gives a nice finish in less time. Just as easy to touch up.
    Well I do wipe the Tru-Oil bottle neck & cap clean, but I never thought to store the bottle upside down. Good tip- thanks!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I punch a small hole about 1/18 inch or less in a bottle of it. Wipe the top off and put it back on. Then store it cap down. That will work for a year or more.
    Use it when liquid and not gummy.

It is linseed oil with who knows what dryers in it. It is not plastic.

Basically True oil is linseed oil.

Boolit Master

I store all my paint and finish products cap-side-down and have done so for years, not only pour type products but spray paint or any other spray can that has a potential to clog the spray valve. Doing this all but eliminates stuck caps and clogged spray nozzles, caps can still tend to stick somewhat but no nearly as bad and the krud build-up around the neck of the bottle and stuck seal from under the cap never happen, same with spray cans as clogged spray nozzles are a thing of the past.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

I love tru-oil. Just shined up some dull grips on a SW 25. 45 colt. I picked up Friday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8308.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	243295
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    my understanding is that tru oil is poloermorized (don't think that i spelled it right). linseed oil. basically it is refined into a varnish like substance. IT IS NOT A OIL FINISH. it acts the same as varnish. (in fact i know i didn't spell it right!)

Boolit Master

Tru-oil is a great finish in my opinion. You can cover scratches and nicks easily. I also use it like a furniture wax on my stocks too, just a dab on a cloth and rub it on like I am polishing/waxing the wood.

Been using it for many years.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I punch a small hole about 1/18 inch or less in a bottle of it. Wipe the top off and put it back on. Then store it cap down. That will work for a year or more.
    Use it when liquid and not gummy.

It is linseed oil with who knows what dryers in it. It is not plastic.

Basically True oil is linseed oil.
    +1
    That's how I store it.
    Don't peel the foil off.
    Works a treat!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

In Remembrance

Had a friend having a custom made rifle done. He asked the smith/builder about a tung oil finish for his AAA exhibition grade claro walnut stock? The smith said he applies a coat every other day for a month. Then once a month for a year. Then once a year for the rest of your life/ownership!Robert

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    my understanding is that tru oil is poloermorized (don't think that i spelled it right). linseed oil. basically it is refined into a varnish like substance. IT IS NOT A OIL FINISH. it acts the same as varnish. (in fact i know i didn't spell it right!)
    "polymerized" Not sure if that's really true, though.

Boolit Master
    I ended up tossing a lot of Tru-Oil until I saw a tip on how to use. I always stored it upside down and that helps but the key is to make a SMALL hole in the foil cap, i.e. punch a hole with a toothpick, squirt out what you need in a small container, seal the bottle and store upside down. One I have now is about 18 months old and still works fine.

I like tru-oil as a finish as well.

Boolit Master

You can put Tru-oil on the brass fixtures of your black powder guns, and eliminate any tarnishing and discoloring of the brass due to blackpowder soot and fowling.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Had a friend having a custom made rifle done. He asked the smith/builder about a tung oil finish for his AAA exhibition grade claro walnut stock? The smith said he applies a coat every other day for a month. Then once a month for a year. Then once a year for the rest of your life/ownership!Robert
    He told you wrong. That's the instructions for linseed oil, it never completely polmerizes (i.e. hardens). Only two oil finishes completely polmerize - tung oil and walnut oil. I use tung oil on stocks and walnut oil on bowls. On my pens I have switched to a super glue finish. It does make your eyes water, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Lately, I've been mixing my own stock finish. 50% Mineral Spirits - 35% Danish Oil - 15% tung oil. Get a small measuring cup (in mL gradients....a quantity of 100mL goes a long way) It works well for me. It makes for an easy touch up too if you get a scratch.

Store in a small screw-cap water bottle until the project is done. Longer than that and it will likely harden up some and be unusable.

[EDIT] - these work fine. https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Fish-Grad.../dp/B077NZJDMS

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 06-13-2019 at 10:25 AM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Lately, I've been mixing my own stock finish. 50% Mineral Spirits - 35% Danish Oil - 15% tung oil. Get a small measuring cup (in mL gradients....a quantity of 100mL goes a long way) It works well for me. It makes for an easy touch up too if you get a scratch.

Store in a small screw-cap water bottle until the project is done. Longer than that and it will likely harden up some and be unusable.

[EDIT] - these work fine. https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Fish-Grad.../dp/B077NZJDMS

redhawk
    It almost sounds like you are making Teak Oil. I've used Helmsman Teak oil on a couple stocks and like it, fast drying and durable.
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast