MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Hog hunting

Banner Sponsor

Hog hunting

Went hog hunting with my brother in law. He'd never got one, so he got the first shot.He shot it through the shoulders with a 7mag and 154SST. It only went about 100yds, but the trail was through some of the nastiest Thorn Vine tick infested yuck. At some points I was on my hands and knees with a flashlight and machete following the blood trail. After we found it, we had to use the machete to cut a path back to the lane. It was a great time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1559825148835.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	243280

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds fun, NOT REALLY! Why in the world would you let your brother shoot those jacketed bullets? Is he your older brother that used to hold you down and let the spitel hang from his lip until it finally dripped onto your face, you gettin' even by keeping CAST bullets from him, that's cruel!
    Charter Member #148

Another good hog!

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Around the places that I hunt hogs are so plentiful that I wait for the opportunity for a head shot. No blood trailing and no meat destruction. I once got 3 with one shot! I've doubled several times! There are a lot of warnings about the diseases that they can have but we consume what we kill. I do use rubber gloves when cleaning them.

Banner Sponsor

I'm getting him started on cast boolits in his Marlin 1894 44 mag. He had some plated 240s that wouldn't shoot at all, so we cast some Lee 200s, powder coated them and got a place to start from now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I'm getting him started on cast boolits in his Marlin 1894 44 mag. He had some plated 240s that wouldn't shoot at all, so we cast some Lee 200s, powder coated them and got a place to start from now.
    Good for you, get him educated on what a real bullet is. He did do the spit on face to you didn't he!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Good on you for being his mentor and friend.

Boolit Master

Wow, 100 yards after a double shoulder hit from a 7 mag! Is the SST a "tough" bullet made for larger game?

Banner Sponsor

I think that the SST is a lighter constructed bullet. The jacket was stuck in the off side hide and the core exited. It took out 2 1/2 ribs on the way in and blew pink frothy blood out the other side.

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin 1894...……..433 Diameter and imr 4227 and 240 or 265ers......I ve been dialing in mine, not perfect yet, but I think im on the right track. I looked all over for a club in Arkansas to hunt hogs last fall. it seemed all of the hogs are in south Arkansas....nice hog

Boolit Master
    Hahaha! My eyes are bad even on the Internet: at first glance I thought the pole supporting the gambrel was you holding a LAW. Hog hunting with a bazooka!

Boolit Master

The "king" of bullet lube is now powder coating?

Good shooting!

I've got my 30-06 'Hog-Gitter' all set up and zero-ed to hit an inch high @ 100yds with Hornady 220RN slugs over Varget. Just need to git it to where the hogs are.

In the fall it doubles as my woods gun for deer.

Pic attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Banner Sponsor

Most excellent, I like it!