Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should I be cleaning my dies?

How often should I be cleaning my dies?

Yes, I know..."When they get dirty". Is there a range of loaded rounds that I should consider the point when I clean the dies?

I am using a Dillon 550C with Lee 45 acp carbide dies and RCBS 45-230 cast bullet. I have cleaned the bullet seating die and found lead shavings and black gunk, most likely a combination of walnut media dust and Emmert's Lube. I corrected the lead shaving issue, but am still getting the black coating on the inside of all my dies. I used lighter fluid, (only thing I had on hand), and a Q-Tip to wipe the inside of the sizing die, the seating die and the carbide factory crimp die. Is there a better way without removing them?
    I thought I was cleaning off the brass when I got it from the tumbler, but evidently not well enough. Is there a way to clean it to remove the dust from the cases? It would be a slow process if I start on my 2 thousand rounds of once fired brass if I had to wipe each case. What can I do to avoid the build-up of dust on the brass cases and gunk in the dies?

Banned
    I used to get anal and clean mine all the time. Anymore if it affects the OAL I will either adjust the die or clean it. Expect to get gunk inside the dies when loading cast/lubed bullets as its a fact of life. Just enjoy reloading and don't sweat the little things.

Vendor Sponsor

When i see some dimension change . time to inspect the die and probably clean
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

It depends really. I do inspect the inside of my dies before use. Most its the seater dies that get gunked up and need to be cleaned a few times a year. The other dies, i think i clean about yearly. More to just to inspect the inside of the die.

My dies corrode here the salty swamps. So i made it a habbit to clean the dies yearly and spray the ouside of the dies with a corrosion preventative compound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I usually clean them about every other "run" thru them. Like was said earlier, I will also clean them if I see any changes in dimensions, like seating, etc..

I can't hurt & it may make them last longer, IMO.

I will say that making sure the boolits are cleaned of any excess lube ( & possibly dirt, etc.), as well as making sure the cases are cleaned/wiped well, ( before "lubing for steel dies", as carbides are less likely to need lube beforehand, since many do not lube with carbide dies. Keeps the "pad" cleaner as well if ya use one.) then you are less likely to have to clean the dies. Another thing is, if you clean the boolits from excess lube & the cases as well, you are less likely to scratch any dies on the inside.

"Periodic maintenance" will not hurt ya, if ya want something to last a long time & not cause issues.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Bub
    I clean mine when they start messing up the finished product. I clean a lot less often since I started wet tumbling my brass. I don't use pins so it isn't super shiny but I don't have the dust to deal with.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    For cleaning schedule, refer to "When to clean a Glock".
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

If loading J-word, I'll clean maybe once a year. Cast....that's a different story since I use Felix lube...I notice a build up in my seater die with each load session. I'll pull the seater plug out and clean it after every 25-50 rounds. The lube causes a build up that effects seating depth. The other dies in the set...maybe once a year.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Clean a Glock?? What's that?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You’re supposed to clean your dies???

Pistol dies = when they need to be cleaned. I have sets that have seen 1,000’s and 1,000’s of rounds with ever seeing a drop cleaning solution. I clean my brass with hot soapy water which probably helps keep all the brass media cleaning gunk off my dies.

Rifle dies = maybe every couple hundred rounds. I use RCBS case lube so if a set hasn’t been used in a while, I might clean it out before using.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll post another "it depends". I'll take the expander ball/ depriming assembly out every so often and wipe it off. I'll also twist or screw the corner of an oily rag into the die and work it around. I'll do the same for the seating/crimping die. If I have bullet lube build up in the seating die I'll get a bore brush after it. How often, well, every so often.

If exposure to moisture is an issue I'll oil them as needed, or as exposed.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using tools to make a living all m life, so I take extra care of my tools. My dies are not cleaned too much/too often but I do check them often and soak 'em often. I keep a container of my "soak" on the bench (sorta a Ben't Red with a bit more mineral spirits) and will drop dies in it and let them soak. Whenever I remember, I'll take them out and run a mop through them and wipe off the outside. My soak contains Kroil and just a wipe will leave a rust preventative film on my dies. I use a Co-Ax and keep my dies in plastic sandwich containers so they stay handy and clean...

Bullet sizing die most, mebbe every 100-150 bullets through them, my carbide dies usually when they look gunky and my bullet seating dies more often, mebbe every 100 or so rounds...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I give dies a light wipe down when getting them out to use. Just a clean soft cloth to remove any dust or crud from storage. This helps alit and then if problems arise of dimensions start to move a full solvent cleaning. Another plus to the wipe down is it spreads and removes any lube build ups from previous use.

I've never cleaned a die in 50 years of handloading. I didn't know you should. If my seating die gets bullet lube build-up, I push it out and continue loading. It's all been working without problems...
    Last edited by gnostic; 06-09-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    I load 17 calibres with cast and `j` words and my dies get cleaned and lubed (for storage) after every session, plus de-lubed before use.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    I clean them when they need it. A can of aerosol brake cleaner usually gets the job done without disassembling the dies.

20-25 minutes.

Banned
    If you use lube - check frequently

If you PC or HiTek once a year

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have to go along with reddog never realized you were supposed to clean them i have some that are more than 40 years old that have never been cleaned. Now i am anal about just how clean my brass is before i ever start to let it near a set of dies. Maybe will check to see if there dirty or maybe not.

Boolit Master
    Haven't cleaned mine in 30 odd years except for seating dies as I shoot lubed boolits and lube builds up on seater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast