MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 310 decapping die

Boolit Bub

310 decapping die

Quick question about parts for the 310 decapping die. I have a couple of decapping dies which are missing the retaining cap which holds the decapping pin in place. Are replacement caps available somewhere? Does the cap from a regular Lyman decapping rod fit the rod used in 310 dies? I don’t own any regular Lyman dies to check.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Go here: http://cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

The shop is sometimes difficult to contact (just plain busy) but they'll have anything you need for the 310. I would seriously doubt if the pin cap from a larger die would fit as the 310 stems are quite small.

A little tip on using the decapping dies....adjust the pin so that it barely removes the primer and that's all. Having it protrude too much will bend the pin back and forth as you operate the handles, and eventually break the pin. A few spare pins from the 310 shop is an inexpensive and wise investment. Don't ask how I finally figured this out...........

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure the decapping pins I picked up at Grafs are standard Lyman decapping pins and they work fine as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    The “nut” that holds the decapping pin onto the bottom of the rod came in two styles, the one that just held the pin on and the larger type that served (on TL Jr dies) as an expander ball as well. You need the former. AFAIK, Lyman has only used one style of decapping pin since about the ‘40s or earlier.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Order a couple of these, right from Lyman. You'll have the retaining cap you need plus a couple of extra pins and shafts as well. The rod unscrews from the adapter and fits most of the 310 dies directly.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...eplaceable-pin

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking at trying.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    trooperdan.........hey, thanks for that link! If that decapping rod fits as you described it could solve a whole host of problems with the old 310 parts availability.

By the way, I wonder what the "chemical known to the State of California" is? Oil?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    trooperdan.........hey, thanks for that link! If that decapping rod fits as you described it could solve a whole host of problems with the old 310 parts availability.

By the way, I wonder what the "chemical known to the State of California" is? Oil?
    I've bought more than 10 of these rods just to repair only 310 dies! Always fit the decapping dies with the small rod thread. as for the chemical, heck I think California has water on their cancer list!

Boolit Bub
    Just to follow up, I did purchase a couple of the decapping rods and they worked fine. Applied a little cold bluing and they look just like the original.