Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bevel base Lubing

Boolit Bub

Bevel base Lubing

Bevel bulllet lubing
    Conventional lubing 200gr .452 cast SWC (Lee Mold) BEVEL BASE. Flat base not available in the aluminum Lee Mold of this dimension. Using Lyman Lube/sizer .452 and CAN NOT adjust so lube stays out of the bevel or squirts out above the grove band onto the front of the bullet. (Hope I said that understandably) Coming out of the mold at .452 so really do not need sized. Need best method of getting the lube in the single lube grove and away from the base of the bullet, because of the bevel.

Close most of the holes in your lube die with lead shot. Use a small hammer to drive the pellets into the holes, leaving open only one row of holes. Align that row of holes with the groove in your bullets. If the problem persists, back off the pressure on your lube reservoir.

Boolit Master
    Get you a Star sizer, it will do it all in 1 stroke, and made to customize sizing to as many or as few grooves as you wish. Nose first sizing for best concentricity, and do 1000 or so an hr.

Boolit Master
    Or an RCBS sizer die. They don't have as many holes as the Lyman. That's what I use on my bevel base boolits.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus

The Star sizer really shines in this situation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've never had that problem but I've read of using a styrofoam disk beneath the bullet to prevent lube seeping upward on it. MIGHT work for bevel base bullets and worth a try at least.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Close most of the holes in your lube die with lead shot. Use a small hammer to drive the pellets into the holes, leaving open only one row of holes. Align that row of holes with the groove in your bullets. If the problem persists, back off the pressure on your lube reservoir.
    And back off the pressure...most apply way too much pressure...if its coming out the top...too much.
    Apply just enoug lube to fill 50% of the groove , spin the boolit in the die 90 degrees and apply just enough pressure to fill the remainder of the lube groove.
    Go easy , easy on the pressure .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Or, don't worry about it. Even in the Arizona heat I've never had a cartridge fail to go " bang" with lube on the bevel. Alox/beeswax and never had a misfire. YMMV, but this is my experience.

Boolit Master
    Have tha mold and solved it by removing the sprue plate and milling the top of the mold down enough to remove the bevel. Now drops a flat base bullet that weighs 190 grs cast from range lead.

Boolit Grand Master

BB boolits and the LAM are just star crossed lovers. I only lube BB boolits in my friends Star and will cast up a bunch before heading over there of an afternoon of guy talk and lubrisizing.

Banned
    The Lyman and some others to put it simply are not sophisticated enough to size the bevel base bullets. The Star and MAgma sizes/lubricators are generally a nose first sizer that positions the bullet correctly so that the lube is pressurized into the lube groove. The Lyman and some others work on the base down principal and simply will not work on BB bullets.