Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Any issues for PP'ing a slower boolit?

Any issues for PP'ing a slower boolit?

Back story........ I'm trying to find the right boolit for a Uberti 1885 rifle. I've slugged the bore and it looks like the groove diameter is roughly .378 to .379 depending on where I measure.

I just shot a series of lubed cast with a variety of powders and the boolits measure .379 or .3795 depending on where on the boolit I measure. But these ain't doing the job. At 50 yards the BEST I can get is a roughly 3" circle even from bench resting. I was expecting/hoping for more like 1" since I'm getting a really nice sight picture.

So I'm looking at some boolits I cast earlier for my rolling block which drop at .377 and thinking about PP'ing and then running through a custom push thru sizer to .380 (I've got the shop and tools for this).

Question....... Now the thing with .38-55 is that it's not a fast round. I'm going to guess that it'll be happiest even with PP rounds at around 1300 to maybe 1500 FPS. Is that going to be an issue for PP'ing?

I'm going to give it a try regardless and will report back with the findings. But I thought some of you might have some hints to avoid any slower speed pitfalls.

I've also been reading the sticky threads on papers and procedures on what to use and how to use it. Mostly I'm just wondering if there's any tricks I'll need to deal with the lower muzzle speed.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master
    Should be no worries.
    I prefer soft paper like writing paper and not rag paper so it fragments easier.
    Wrap the paper so it wants to peels off on exit.
    I wrap so no lead touches the bore and with a flat rolled base with a small dot of lead exposed on the base.
    I lube with 50/50 bw/vas.
    Seat out long as possible with nose engraving.
    I would do a chamber cast and try and match that fit as possible.
    Some rifle loads will shoot well groove size others when filling the throat.
    A very well soaked soft lube soaked patch can work well with low velocity if the lube is not too sticky.
    I prefer a patch that can be hand twisted in a well formed non molested case that is wrapped wet and drys the right diameter with a rub of lube over it.
    Ahhh heaven!
    Last edited by barrabruce; 06-08-2019 at 08:22 PM.

I would think that a softer alloy should work. Perhaps try printer paper and wrapping to a diameter that will allow firm finger twisting to seat the patched boolit in an unsized case. As barra suggests, seat out as far as possible. Try it with low loads of shotgun powder and work up with slower powders and see what happens. Do you need the higher velocities? Like for a bit of range or taking out critters? (Nothing wrong with making high speed holes in paper!)
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

90 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Since you're making a .380 sizer ....... Unless your cast doesn't drop that big ........

I shot some .258 cores in a .264 WM at .257.264 over a pitifully light load of 10 gr of Unique . The muzzle report was about a toss for the FN 98 hammer fall from the 26" barrel . Pretty slow , pretty low pressure too .

At the other end of the spectrum I patched some 535s for a 45-70 in a Marlin sub sonic . Nice big paper chits . Probably about 12,000 psi load for 900 fps .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Some progress but no shooting report yet. I paper patched a couple of .376 bullets and it's sitting at around .389 or so now before being final sized. Just raw printer paper wet wrapped and shrunk naturally. I started to make a push through sizer on my lathe but I messed up and it is way too big. Hoping to try a new sizer starting at .380 bore and see if it sizes and lets the paper spring out to around .381 to 382. I'll polish the sizer more open if need be. And if needed I'll do a sizer to push the .376 bullets down a few thou.

The quest continues.... More as real life allows. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I continue to read threads in this forum to get further up to speed on this paper patching thing.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

You might consider making a neck sizer to open up new cases to fired case size. I made a sizer die to bring a fired case down to a clearance size to grip patched boolits firmly. I noted that the neck does not expand measurably on seating with printer paper - the paper compresses. This doesn't work quite as well with sized boolits but then again, with sizing both necks and boolits the fit can be controlled.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''