Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much RV for my Yukon?

Wife and I deliver RVs for a living. Your brake controller should be set so that you don't lock up the trailer tires when you put on the truck brakes. Use enough brake so the trailer helps you stop otherwise it will push you. Each trailer is different. There are good videos on youtube for setting up the hitch. Basically hook up the ball, raise the trailer/truck 4 inches above normal ride height , hookup the torsion bars then lower the trailer. Watch a video it will make sense when you match up your set up with the directions. Definitely get the trailer wiring harness checked to be sure it is wired correctly. Take it easy and you should be fine.

Boolit Master
    Did your controller come with instructions? The adjustment on the side is either the gain (how hard the brakes are applied on the trailer when brakes are called for) or a leveling adjustment for the controller, some older controllers had a swinging weight type set up that would increase the trailer braking force (more gain) in relation to the deceleration of the towing vehicle.

As a quick check hold a compass near each wheel when the brakes are applied the magnets in each wheel are energized and the compass will react. This is good for a quick check to see if there is a dead brake.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I towed a 7500# 28’ travel trailer with my 2010 GMC 1500 crew with 5.3 and 6 speed with tow package. You shouldn’t have struggled getting to 50. Matter of fact, mine made it to 55/60 without difficulty. It’s the wind resistance that hurt more than anything. Make sure you have a trans cooler and your vehicle is up to snuff. Get the brake controller checked as the brakes should not smell and be that hot unless riding them down a long downhill grade. Get the equalizer set up right. Should be GTG.
    Shouldn't the factory tow package include a trans cooler? My truck has the factory package and one is included. I.assumed that would be standard across all manus
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The wheel on the side determines how fast the trailer breaks are applied. From touch the break pedal and the controller applies pressure fast to touch pedal and they are applied gradually. Kind of like pushing on the tow vehicles break pedal.

Boolit Master
    No need to lock out overdrive. The tow package on that GM has a button on the end of the gear selector that firms up shifts, raises shift points, and lowers the threshold of downshifting. It will select the correct gear when necessary towing up to the max tow weight. We pulled 7000lbs with a similarly equipped Suburban every other weekend for 3 months straight moving my grandparents 5hours away through everything from flat land into the Ozarks. Loads were cars, boats, small tractors, furniture, tools, lifts, etc. Get the equalizer hitch setting figured out and tow away. I have an 84 GMC Jimmy K5 that has towed a 4000lb boat through the same. It simply needs a manual downshift into 3rd going uphill and all is well.

Banned
    Generally your vehicle manual states to not tow in overdrive period. This is true with the Ford E250 Vans that I drove for 26 years and our 2004 GMC Envoy we own. The GM Chevy vehicles I have drive also stated in their manuals to not use the overdrive. I DO NOT recommend to drive in overdrive at all and I don't care if you have a tow package or not.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Don't forget to cross the chains!
    Did I say?
    Don't forget to cross the chains!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I've pulled a trailer about that size across I-80 into the Wyoming mountains quite a bit with a 2003 Silverado 1/2 ton, 4 wheel drive, 5.3. I did have the factory towing set-up and 4.11 rear-end put in when I ordered it. I spend a lot of time going up and down some tough hills in Wyoming and Colorado without problems, won't run with heavy duty diesels, but gets me there, just a little slower on the steeper grades.

Boolit Mold
    If the hubs were hot, it sounds like the bearings needed repacking, or the brakes might have been dragging a bit.
    I'm leaning towards the bearings needing attention, because in my experience dragging brakes will put out a large cloud of white smelly smoke. (But then I drive a semi, so not quite the same braking system)

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, it should have a trans cooler if factory equipped with tow package.

Which brake controller do you have? There should be a way to adjust the gain (yours was set 7.5) and there should be a way to activate the brakes manually with a slide or button to press (use this if the trailer starts to sway). If the brakes are set up they shouldn’t lock up and you shouldn’t feel the trailer push you. You’ll get a feel for it.

As mentioned. Check the hubs, grease them and perform basic maintenance. Make sure the tires. Are good to go and not dry rotted. Losing a tire at speed can make you wanna change your pants in short order. Carry a spare and jack and make sure you have a lug wrench that fits.

Boolit Master

I've got a Reese model brake controller with the digital readout, the +/- wheel on top and a 3 or 4 position switch on the side.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I guess I don't have to worry about it after all. Dad has early onset Alzeimer's and doesn't recall telling me I could take it to my place. Is now claiming that his insurance won't let me borrow it and he wants it back. Claims he's going to use it this summer. He doesn't have enough upper body strength to work the leveling jacks anymore. So I guess I wasted all my time off this week getting it ready for him to sell it. Figures.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Good advice, I'll add I have the same engine and pull my 28 foot camper from Kansas to the U.P. I think it's been mentioned but worth repeating to lock the auto transmission out of overdrive. I've heard of people burning up a transmission by leaving it in overdrive while towing.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I guess I don't have to worry about it after all. Dad has early onset Alzeimer's and doesn't recall telling me I could take it to my place. Is now claiming that his insurance won't let me borrow it and he wants it back. Claims he's going to use it this summer. He doesn't have enough upper body strength to work the leveling jacks anymore. So I guess I wasted all my time off this week getting it ready for him to sell it. Figures.
    Very sorry to hear that. My Mom had early onset at 55. Very ugly and devasting disease. Prayers sent, especially for the patience you will need.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, patience is needed. My father lives with us, and it is fulltime care, and very trying. Prays for you.

Banned

funny how back in the 70s a 3/4 ton truck with drum rear brakes and MAYBE 200 hp and a 3 speed automatic was considered a towning MACHINE.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    funny how back in the 70s a 3/4 ton truck with drum rear brakes and MAYBE 200 hp and a 3 speed automatic was considered a towning MACHINE.
    I lot of it is gearing and torque.

My 1974 Ford F250 with a 360 engine, 4 speed, and 4:11 gears would tow a horse trailer with two horses in it without a problem. My friends Ford with the same engine, transmission, and economy gearing had problems. It takes gearing to do the torque multiplication needed to move the heavy loads. If equipped with an automatic tow out of overdrive, have a heavy duty radiator, and have appropriate rear end gearing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Don't be to disappointed. In a week or a month he will forget he said that and will ask you why you haven't taken it yet.
    Sad, but true.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Gearing makes so much difference. I ordered my 2019 gas Super Duty with 4:30's and absolutely love it. I get as good, if not better mileage than most of the guys on the forums with 3:73's and my truck tows like a dream.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Don't be to disappointed. In a week or a month he will forget he said that and will ask you why you haven't taken it yet.
    Sad, but true.
    Supposed to bring it back today, and I'm sure he'll tell me to go ahead and keep it.

And yes, gearing is very important. Yukon has 3.23 gears. Sad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast