Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too much RV for my Yukon?

Boolit Master
    For four years I towed a 22ft. 5th wheel with a GMC S10 pickup truck with no problems at all. It only had a 4.3L six in it. Never over heated and only on the worst hills did I have to slow down to around 50mph to top them. I'm not saying that was a good package, I'm saying that with the trailer you have and even the small V8 in your vehicle, you should have no problems at all. None. Set the trailer brake up so that it's not on until you hit your brake. Then the trailer brakes should be stopping just a tiny little bit stronger than your tow vehicle brakes are. The proper tow hitch will make a lot of difference. Don't use the over-drive gear either.

I use a 2012 F150 4dr 4x4 with the towing package and a 5.0 to tow a 26' (hitch to bumper is around 31') Forest River with a dry weight of 5600# plus 1800# cargo for a total of 7400#. We bought it when it was 2 years old. Had to set up the hitch in their gravel driveway. That 45 minute drive home I thought we'd made a mistake as it seemed like the camper was moving the truck a lot and got much worse over 50mph. Got it home and set the hitch up again on a flat level concrete driveway and it was like night and day. We regularly take it on trips of 1-3 hours each way and yearly take it on a trip of slightly over 5 hrs at highway speeds. I think once the kids are gone we'll drop down to a smaller 20'-22'camper

Boolit Master

Got the camper returned today among much trepidation and issues. Got the weight distribution hitch set up better, but not perfect but didn't want to mess with it in 85 degree weather. Looks much better. Not perfect, but good enough for the 12 miles to dad's.

Attachment 243491

Hooked up everything and adjusted the trailer brake setting to 4. Got out of town and suddenly couldn't go above 50mph. Pulled over and the trailer brakes were smoking. They suddenly decided to engage. Could not get them to release. Trailer brake controller wouldn't show a number when braking. Tried scraping the plug-in connector terminals and wiggling it in the plug and the light came on and the brakes released. Went 20' and number went away and brakes came on. Tried to repeat and no dice. Brakes would not release. Luckily I had cell service and called my dad and asked if he could come get the trailer with his truck. Nope. My problem so figure it out.

Searched online while on the side of the road for an hour and tried everything. Completely unplugged the connector and would roll forward a few feet then the brakes would engage. Finally decided to just cut the power wire to the brakes at the trailer wheels. Heard the magnets release.

Got back on the road and the trailer was surprisingly easy to tow. Very confident that if I got the brakes figured out and the weight distribution hitch perfect, that I could tow it quite easily.

Got it back to dad's and parked it. He offered to sell it to me really cheap. I declined. Then he said I could use it whenever. I declined.

RV stands for "Ruins Vacation"...

Maybe next year I'll buy my own, but not going to mess with his anymore.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the mess I went through with my father. I still helped when I could but didn't accept anything from him.

Boolit Master

Ruins Vacation,
    I love this
    Kind of like a boat, walk by it and throw in money
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Heading into the woods tomorrow with some friends to ride ATVs. My trailer and UTV are less than a year old and well-maintained. Just did an axle flip on the trailer and lifted it, then installed bigger and tougher tires so I don't have to worry about ground clearance or sharp rocks in the mountains. It is well matched to the Yukon...

Attachment 243521
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

one of the lineman on my crew had a short box standard cab 1987 k15 chev with a 4.3 v6. He pulled his 26 foot Boat a 120 miles round trip to lake Michigan about once a month. It made it squat and he didn't pull it 70mph but it did pull it. probably weighted as much as two 26 foot campers.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    For four years I towed a 22ft. 5th wheel with a GMC S10 pickup truck with no problems at all. It only had a 4.3L six in it. Never over heated and only on the worst hills did I have to slow down to around 50mph to top them. I'm not saying that was a good package, I'm saying that with the trailer you have and even the small V8 in your vehicle, you should have no problems at all. None. Set the trailer brake up so that it's not on until you hit your brake. Then the trailer brakes should be stopping just a tiny little bit stronger than your tow vehicle brakes are. The proper tow hitch will make a lot of difference. Don't use the over-drive gear either.

Boolit Grand Master
    by the looks of the picture yeah it's to much for your chevy
    proper hitch and trailer brakes are a must
    I pull a 33' rv with my f150 but I have a load carrying hitch with sway bar
    and I have air adjustable shocks that max out at 4000# so it's set up to pull
    I have read the weight of trailer unloaded is 6500#
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123