Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2019, Contest topic: Single Shot Guns

Moderator Emeritus

June 2019, Contest topic: Single Shot Guns

June 2019
    Contest topic: Single Shot Guns

Your Rolling Block,Browning,Encore and similar station.

Ruger has always been my favorite, The Handi is Dandy ...but heck even Henry is making them now-a-days. Let's see 'em

New contest format. New rules. See link for rules.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...90#post2797390

I am using the individual forum titles as the monthly topics (going from the top down).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

My swede's. Carl Gustave 8x58RD, Remington 12,7x44R, Husqvarna 12,7x44R.

Boolit Master
    I'm on a bit of a single shot kick lately. Here is one of mine, a Savage 219 with 22 Hornet and 30/30 barrels. I have a new Henry but I am so disappointed in it I don't think it warrants a picture!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	243217

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Army & Navy Cooperative Society rook rifle, originally a .255, relined and rechambered to .32 S&W Long by John Taylor, exterior restoration by Lucas Geiger.

Attachment 243221Attachment 243229Attachment 243231Attachment 243234
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-08-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Former cylindersmith.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Nice looking Rook there Outpost.

cas, what caliber is that single shot of yours?

Boolit Master
    My old Rolling block rifle from Egypt in .43 Egyptian. Purportedly it was last used by cadets in a Egyptian Military Academy. The bayonet from that era is very impressive. You could use it as a short sword too. Of course it must have been difficult for a young cadet to handle one of these huge rifles back then too. But then I remember how huge and heavy the old Hakim 8mm semi-auto rifles are. The Egyptians are strong and tough people.

Name:	Remington_Rolling_block_43_Egyptian_01B.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	243315

USMC 77, USRA 79

Ok ok... Jon talked me into it... I dont have anything purty, but this is sort of interesting...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	243319

It a 1950’s something H&R topper in 22 Jet. Grumpa (Matt) used to make me brass for it out of 357 mag.

Name:	CE6CDAB0-BC04-4E21-B791-F22D79E001B9.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	243320

Back story is, I was working up in the artic villages about 20 years ago setting up telemedicine stuff to connect the remote villages medicine aides with video links to doctors in Nome. One evening in Shismeref (spelling) one of the village elders invited me home for a traditional meal of dried fish dipped in seal oil and fish head soup. I jumped at the chance to have a home cooked meal. We got to talking about seals and hunting them and he showed me into his work room where he processed his seal and also did art stuff and so on. We got to talking about guns and such and he had recently acquired an ar-15 in 223 cuz ammo was so much easier to get at places like ft. Greeley and such. Then he showed me his fathers 22 rem Jet topper. He told me that he stopped using it because ammo and brass became to hard to get, and the gun fell into neglect. His father had put a whale bone fitted stock piece to legnthen the stock a bit, and also added a whale bone tip to the fore stock, but the gun had been sitting forever and was badly rusted on the exterior. The bore was shiney and well defined with grooves.. so I offered him 100 bucks for that wayword puppie, and brought the gun back with me to get to work on. It was no problem removing the rust, but the pitting was awful on the outside. And the stock had been sanded a bit too much around the fitted areas over the years... so I opted to leave it be, get some finish on it as is, and to use an epoxy called VHT and baked it on the barrel and action to prevent further rust damage. It turned out alright I guess, and flat out zings 50gr bator bullets over 4gr of red dot.. shoots great, and is fun to carry, but mostly it sits on my wall reminding of my time in the artic villages...

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Ok ok... Jon talked me into it... I dont have anything purty, but this is sort of interesting...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	243319
    ...SNIP
    Marko,
    Nice, I love the addition of the Artwork.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

USMC 77, USRA 79

Thanks Jon.. One of the villagers in Wales gave that scene to me. Another one of those tiny native villages. Paper and canvas used to be in short supply, so they did art on tanned skins.. it depicts seal hunting and waiting for humpback Whales for a hunt, basically calling the whales back to be hunted. The gloves are traditional mittens made from fur seal fur and tanned hide. Most of the villages up in the artic had a special art skill that was learned and passed around by elders... The village of teller would make whale bone carvings, farther north near kotzabue they would specialize in carving walrus ivory.

Nice wall art Marko, I just love the story too. Over the years I've read soooooo many stories of the seal and even large game taken with hornet size cartridges by the Native tribesman and women. Truly amazing way of life. If I had it to do over, I think I would spend some years up in that part of the world, say from 23 to 39. Those would be great years to be in Alaska IMHO. Here's my little Hornet I got from one of the shops I was working in back in 81.

This was also a rescue job, had the barrel taken down just a hair by a total re-sand to clean up some rust pitting and improve the finish since savage back in the day did not bother to do anything extra on these economy model rifles by Ed Haven in Flagstaff and a re-crown, a drill and tap for a scope mount that puts the optics directly over the bore and not off to the side and a complete hot blueing on all the steel parts. No doubt more spent than what the gun cost or was worth monetarily, but it was most likely the only hornet I would ever own so I really didn't care on the cost. I redid the stock with a clear poly finish and it turned out to be a real tack driver. I do love my hornet.

I dont have a pretty one either but I got a good one. It's FUN. 44-40 H&R/GreenMtn. carbine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Texas By God.

Love your .44-40 H&R, here's mine we call the "Anti-Tactical Bunny Gun" which John Taylor did using an 1894S Marlin barrel and TechSights TSR100 sight package.

Attachment 243387 Attachment 243385Attachment 243386Attachment 243389
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

That is neat, Outpost75. My brother had some of those sights on a 10-22 and good shots were routine with excellent sight picture. Please drag out more single shots, sir.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Ok, well here we have a pair of CBC single shotguns that I removed chokes on, re-crowned and turned into smooth bore BP cartridge guns...

Name:	F8-D443-C3-1277-42-D5-B5-F1-4082367796-EE.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	243390

Name:	4861-B0-E1-9-C9-E-4-FB2-9-F83-C34-BB48-A827-F.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	243391

One is a 410 and shoots all sorts of weird stuff including 220 grain slugs in 41 cal powered by BP. The other is a 12g with no choke shooting the ace nearly 800gr hollow base bore rider slug also powered by BP. I added about 3lbs to the stock for recoil management for that load. Don’t know why I did what I did.. just to see if I could I guess... the guns were cheap, and so easy to clean up with the break action... fun to shoot too... recently my son has taken to shooting a 2 ball .395 load over BP in those brass 410 shells. Real fun and the 2 balls tend to stay within about 4 inches of each other in 30 yards...

Marko

Looks like great fun Marko. I never thought of turning a shotgun into a BP cartridge rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That is neat, Outpost75. My brother had some of those sights on a 10-22 and good shots were routine with excellent sight picture. Please drag out more single shots, sir.
    This rook used to be mine, but was sold to my hunting buddy Dennis Carlini. It was originally a .360 No. 5, by Cogswell & Harrison, which he rechambered with a .38 AMU reamer so he could use .38 Special wadcutters he has leftover from his bullseye shooting days. The wadcutters slug up well in its .366" groove diameter, Henry-style rifling and the original sights are on at 50 yards. A ten-shot, 2.3 inch fifty yard group with open sights isn't too bad for 75-year old WW2 ammo!

Lucas Geiger did the restoration.

Attachment 243417Attachment 243418Attachment 243419Attachment 243420
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I do enjoy single shots. Just makes a nice day at the range last a little longer..
    Ruger #1 in .222 from 1968 and a Stevens model 52 in 38-55.. Have a few others like a Stevens 44 in .22 and the TC Contender in about a dozen calibers. One Contender that was owned Mexican President Jose Lopez Portillo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_2199.jpg   xRAM_0998.jpg   MVC_216F.JPG   MVC_218F.JPG   xRAM_0986.jpg  

Last edited by arlon; 06-12-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Very nice, guys. I wonder if 9mm Mak (.366") would work in the Cogswell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast