Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bullet ejector

Boolit Buddy

Bullet ejector

IŽve been reading the forum for sometime and started to developed dies for making lead projectiles for my air rifles. Here in Mexico we are facing strict regulations on firearms so airguns are an option, I own 3 modified airforce condors in .25, .30 and .410 cal. I cast lead bullets for them but tried to experiment with swaging and got really involved. Many questions were answered here but practice makes perfect so I tried and tried. One of the main problems I faced was how to extract the swaged bullet... so I developed an automatic ejector.
    No measurements are provided since its very easy to adapt to your needs, I used a 1/2" 20 thread to connect them to my dies and work perfectly, if you play with the length of the ejector rod you also get the bonus of making hollow point bullets (if you use a longer ejector rod it makes hollow point bullets).
    I used a piece of scrap iron tubing, a strong spring (1/8" wire) , two end caps, a spring guide (the ejection rod is fixed with a headless screw to the guide), ejection rod, an "indicator" if a bullet jams simply tap the indicator.
    I was able to buy a Lee cast classic press, and works perfectly for swaging, after the ejection problem my bullets were getting stuck in the base punch (I also use it to make rbt bullets) the solution is to make it hollow (the punch) placing an internal and smaller rod inside and using the ram stop(?) to block it (in the downward stroke) to eject the bullet, (IŽll place photos tomorrow)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet Ejector.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	243183

Sorry for the quality of the diagram but it is easy to follow, hope it is useful for someone

Boolit Master
    Interesting, I will be following this thread.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the forum kimoleto.
    Your idea of an internal punch might work, did you try using a stripper on the out side of the base punch?

It would be like a washer with the center hole just a couple thousandths larger than the diameter of the punch, it might need to sit on a tube large enough to accommodate the press ram, and engage on the press frame. So when you retract the punch, the pellet gets stripped off.

Always great to see what other shooters are doing to make projectiles.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the welcoming. I don't have real lathe/mill knowledge so many mistakes are made, I have a small atlas 618 and a mini mill, i have a lot of limitations but enjoy learning new stuff everyday.
    Your idea seems great, IŽll give it a try. I'm not making pellets for the rifles, bullets work better so that's the goal, i read in another forum that pointed bullets are not the best option in air rifles, but have not really experiment with them and the hollow point find was more an accident than something I was really doing.

Name:	foto eyector.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	243216

Name:	base2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	243218

Name:	base3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	243219

Boolit Master
    Welcome and thanks for posting the pics
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, and I catalogue myself as a #1 kind of man