Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: GNR Cartridges?

GNR Cartridges?

Hi Folks,

I've been thinking about the Gary Reeder family of cartridges, particularly the 41 GNR. Have any of you had any experience with them?

Also, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a well-used Blackhawk (and possibly abused, grip panels, grip frame, barrel, etc., will all be replaced) that someone is willing to sell cheaply. If you have any leads let me know, chambering is not important.

Take care, Tom
    Last edited by Tatume; 03-06-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Banned

I am not impressed with GNR stuff. I am not impressed with his guns either. Flash with no results.

Boolit Master
    I've met Gary at his shop in Flagstaff. I have one of his 455 GNRs to test, albeit this is in an Encore. He probably has taken more game with a handgun than anyone I know of. I'm also looking at some of JD Jones cartridges to compare with. My wife took her Blackhawk in for the conversion plus two extra cylinders. Great guy to do business with as well as John Linebaugh and his son Dustin. Personally, I don't care for some of the engraving Gary does but to each his own. As soon as Starline has 475 Linebaugh brass in I can do some testing. I've ordered some ammo but it is a proprietary cartridge. Just sit and wait.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I have been hunting with him and have several of his bottle necked rounds--liking him is up to you -it is good either way-- I do of course-- the .41 GNR in a 5.5 Redhawk worked just fine- took a 5pt and a 250# boar- does better with normal weight bullets-accurate and fast -170 jhp 1740 + 210 gr Gold dots 1520+
    longer barrel will add some too -maybe- your Bhawk plan will work well ---- I have a9" TC .41 gnr 210gr will go 1880 fps -- -that is a cast LFNGCHP-- also have .410 5.5' barrel 255 LWNGCW 1600 fps, 210 cast run about 1680 +- so there you have it in a TC or a 6 gun

Thanks fellows.

Banned

Gary is a nice guy and a good smith. But to find or alter brass is the question.
    Some rounds have gone mainstream but his have not. They shoot good but can you find anything.

Most GNR cartridges are formed easily from common cases. Almost all of the GNR revolver cases are formed from 41 Rem Mag, 44 Rem Mag, or 454 Casull parents.

Update: when I got home and consulted the GNR reloading manual I found there are GNR revolver cartridges formed from several other parent cases, including 357 Mag, Max, and 22 Hornet. Most of the parent cases are easy to find, but I wouldn't know where to look for 22 K Hornet cases right now. Nevertheless, anyone willing to make an informed choice should have no trouble locating parent cases and reloading for most of the GNR cartridges. However, finding loaded ammunition is another matter. I know of no common sources for GNR loaded ammo.

Banned

Takes forming dies. Not cheap unless you can form some with just other regular dies.
    Nothing wrong with his calibers except expense and they are not any better then normal rounds.
    In fact too much velocity with cast can deter affects on game.
    Now you need GNR dies---just where do you find them? You need to buy from Gary.

Yes, you do have to buy the reloading dies from Gary Reeder. No, you do not need forming dies. The full-length sizing die makes the most common GNR revolver cartridges from the parent cases. For example, the 41 GNR is made from 44 Rem Mag cases in one pass of the 41 GNR full-length sizing die.

Forming dies are specifically for reforming and/or trimming to length. Some wildcat cases must be "formed" and then "fireformed." I have several, including the 309 JDJ (the forming die for this one is the 308 Winchester full-length sizing die). Once cases are formed the forming die is never used again. I haven't read the procedure for every GNR cartridge, but none that I have read require forming dies.

Another cartridge I load for that requires forming is the 30 Herrett. This one uses the 30 Herrett full-length sizing die, and then a hardened trim die. The partially formed case is run into the trim die, cut off with a hacksaw, filed flush, removed, and the final trim to length is done in a conventional case trimmer. The forming die in this case is the trim die; it is never used again once cases are formed. Forming 30 Herrett cases from 30-30 Winchester cases is the most troublesome of the wildcat cartridges I own.

Forming dies are not the same as reloading dies that are used every time the cartridge is reloaded. The GNR cartridges with which I am familiar do not require forming dies.

I do not disagree about the practicality of the GNR cartridges. For example, anything the 41 GNR cartridge will do the 44 Rem Mag or the 41 Rem Mag will do just as well. But, if we all used only the cartridges we need, life would be a lot less interesting.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    if you like the .41 cal and i do and so does Gary -- it gives different options-- they are fun
    I had several 10'' TC.41 s and according to my records the 5.5'' basically = the 10 " Tc and my 9'' .41 GNR is way above my 10'' -- it all about have something different in the .41 cal. I have owned 3 Bhawks, 5 S&W, a DWA, and 2 TC's-all .41( I have also had .44, 45colt, 454 too)- and personally none of them could match up to the wild cats-- and the necked down little critters look neat and they do not stick//// As to ammo Andy Rowe and there have been othes will load any of GNR stuff if you desire--he both a nice guy and reasonable
    In the end shoot what you like and like what you shoot--a hunting story -- I have a 12" braked 41/445 with current a 2x7 burris-- I shot two does in a field one at about 100yds and the other at 195 long steps mz was 2250 (I think, that is close) and an XTP-- I have not used a jhp in years and probaly will not but the 210 XTP and the Gold Dot both work well even and 2200+
    Last edited by GLynn41; 05-17-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling

And here I thought the .30 Herrett was fun ?
    I truly did appreciate that cartridge.
    It was a fun wildcat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I am not impressed with GNR stuff.
    I don't know, "Appetite for Destruction" was awesome in 1987

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    I don't know, "Appetite for Destruction" was awesome in 1987
    Ya, but they went downhill upon the departure of Slash