Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: A question on the Lee ram prime......

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

A question on the Lee ram prime......

I've been playing with my Lyman 310 for quite awhile, but there are calibers I don't have dies for......so I turn to the Lee hand press in my kit box. I've used it in the past, but never primed on it so I guess I'd better order their ram prime.

I haven't used the Lee ram prime before. Does it accept RCBS style shell holders or do I have to buy a set of Lee shell holders?

Thanks everyone!

I have a mix of lee and RCBS shell holders. Works with both.

Correct answer. You'll be glad you bought one, as you can use them equally as well in a bench press or the Lee Hand Press. Lee does make some different shell holders for some of their hand priming tools which will not work in the Ram Prime.

Boolit Grand Master

A whole bunch of years ago (1990?) I bought a Lee Hand Press and it came with a ram prime, and I'm so glad it did. I could not find a hand prime tool that fit my hand and the ram prime came to my rescue. Fast forward to three years ago and you would see one on my bench and one on a Lee turret. In one of my Lyman manuals they say a ram prime is probably the best priming method...

No need for "special" shell holders...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I've been playing with my Lyman 310 for quite awhile, but there are calibers I don't have dies for......so I turn to the Lee hand press in my kit box. I've used it in the past, but never primed on it so I guess I'd better order their ram prime.

I haven't used the Lee ram prime before. Does it accept RCBS style shell holders or do I have to buy a set of Lee shell holders?

Thanks everyone!
    The Ram Prime on the hand press uses regular press type , snap in shell holders ....no need for any "special " holders . Just use the shell holder you use on the press . Once you install it , read directions , you will see how it works...nifty tool .
    The hand press and ram prime are two of Lee's best inventions .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

A primer flipping tray is handy to use with the ramprime. The tray is also handy for flipping small caliber GCs
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    Got one with a Lee Challenger press, liked it so much better than the primer arm system on my Lyman Spartan and T-mag that I bought the Lee Auto-prime II with the tray. Later got the small Lee C press at a bargain price and set it up as a dedicated priming station. Still use the ram prime when doing small batches of test loads. Only caveat I can add is watch your adjustment on the die, it is easy to crush a primer on a high leverage press which is why I like the little C press. You can feel the primer bottom out in the pocket but not enough leverage to crush it.

Boolit Grand Master

One hint I discovered when using my ram prime. Since the primers are fed individually, ya gotta pick them up. I had trouble (?) picking up individual primers off a hard bench top (Blunted old mechanic's fingers) so I dumped the primers on a paper towel. No problems picking them up since, just enough padding to make it easier...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I use the Lee Ram Prime on my BPM Hand press as well. Excellent tool and priced right.

I have a similar Lyman Tool however it doesn't set up as easily as the Lee Tool.

It takes virtually no pressure whatsoever to seat primers like this, and you don't even have to hold onto the tool as it is clamped to the table and stands up by itself.

See Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=1s

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-29-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    A whole bunch of years ago (1990?) I bought a Lee Hand Press and it came with a ram prime, and I'm so glad it did. I could not find a hand prime tool that fit my hand and the ram prime came to my rescue. Fast forward to three years ago and you would see one on my bench and one on a Lee turret. In one of my Lyman manuals they say a ram prime is probably the best priming method...

No need for "special" shell holders...
    The Lee Ram Prime with the Hand Press makes for a good priming tool for reloaders with hand strength problems . I bought a new Lee Hand Priming Tool to replace my old round tray tool but I'm not to happy with the quality...it looks really sketchy .
    The Ram Prime works like a charm .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"