MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Bullet Casting Cabinet

Boolit Bub

Bullet Casting Cabinet

Compact little setup with bulb for heat on the molds, some lead in the bottom to stabilize, height of casting surface is level with reloading bench. Finally had time to get this done, ain't retirement great!.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet Casting 002.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	243162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet Casting 003.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	243163

Moderator Emeritus

I like your cabinet! For good or "bad", I needed a "mobile" casting station, as I do all my casting near the front of the garage -- hence, it gets wheeled to the rear when I'm not casting.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casting cart.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	243164

USMC 77, USRA 79

Very nicely done... well organized and anything to do with casting is just plain cool!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    George I might have to copy some of your ideas especially the hanging spots on the backwall. Likewise, mine needs to be mobile due to space constraints. I was lucky enough to find one of these cabinets with stainless top.

Boolit Master

I was driving on a local highway when I saw a white table on the side of the roadway. I pulled over and walked back to examine it. It was white and made of wood and although it obviously had fallen off a vehicle it was in decent shape. It was 30" wide and 24" deep and had a solid wooden top and shelf lower down that reinforced the table. I do all my casting on it while seated. I keep my RCBS Pro Melter on the table and I have a pair of Lee 4-20's that I have mounted on a shelf with a 30" length of angle iron that I use to funnel alloy from the 4-20's down to the RCBS.

When I was in the "ZONE" I did not want to stop to refill the RCBS and wait for the temp to get back to my normal 675 degrees so I set that up to premelt my alloy in the Lee's and then feed it down to the RCBS. I always get a long and super skinny ingot from the angle iron's channel.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    I was driving on a local highway when I saw a white table on the side of the roadway. I pulled over and walked back to examine it. It was white and made of wood and although it obviously had fallen off a vehicle it was in decent shape. It was 30" wide and 24" deep and had a solid wooden top and shelf lower down that reinforced the table. I do all my casting on it while seated. I keep my RCBS Pro Melter on the table and I have a pair of Lee 4-20's that I have mounted on a shelf with a 30" length of angle iron that I use to funnel alloy from the 4-20's down to the RCBS.

When I was in the "ZONE" I did not want to stop to refill the RCBS and wait for the temp to get back to my normal 675 degrees so I set that up to premelt my alloy in the Lee's and then feed it down to the RCBS. I always get a long and super skinny ingot from the angle iron's channel.
    I’ve heard of these kinds of setups, can we get a photo? I picked up a ProMelt 1 recently and RogerDat is trying to convince me to do the same with my Lee.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    George I might have to copy some of your ideas especially the hanging spots on the backwall. Likewise, mine needs to be mobile due to space constraints. I was lucky enough to find one of these cabinets with stainless top.
    [B]StuBach[/B] -- the photo I posted is from when I first put it into service; the two fans at rear do a superb job at keeping almost all the fumes blown out, with setup complemented with a floor box fan behind me. The light bulb to the right of these fans is in parallel with the PID output feeding the pot -- so any and every time there's 110VAC going to the pot, the light comes on. The setup has worked remarkably well, and my only additions have been an inverted "pail" with a "door" cutout in it I now keep atop the electric hot plate (a "tip" I got from this site to better keep moulds preheated); and, a half dozen small screw-eyes installed in the left side wall, for pliers, screwdrivers, and bion large tweezers.
    Your setup looks equally cool -- don't know about you, but making mine was perhaps one of the best things I did; when I have time to cast, I just wheel it to garage front and plug it in; get, plug in, and turn on the box fan maybe 10' behind; unfold a folding chair; sit, and start the casting. While things warm up/alloy is melting I get and clean moulds, grab a few ingots of alloy... and I'm all set for enjoyable casting -- no longer having to look for my safety glasses, or a glove, or ?????.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Very impressive, very innovative!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Hey those look pretty nice. I just use old counter top bolted to wall of my garage . Ain't the prettiest but it works. I was glad to finally fix something permanent so i didn't have to set in doorway of garage in all kinds of weather.

My progress so far

I am in the process of putting together a new casting cart. You guys are giving me good ideas ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hlz9uJL.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	243672

Boolit Grand Master

Nice set-up. But you need more molds...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I also set my casting pot on a wooden table top, but was concerned about the heat so I laid a slate-asbestos siding shingle under the pot.

Boolit Master

My pots are tall enough on their bases, that I've never worried about heat below. I put my pots on a old cookie sheet. Both are clamped to the picnic table that is covered with a 1/4" sheet of plywood.
    Haven't had a problem in 30+yrs. Keep my hot plate on top of 2 clay bricks.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Very nice setup! In fact, a lot of nice setups. One of these days, I will have enough time to make something similar.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Mold
    i need to figure something like this out for my casting i dont have to much stuff just yet since i only just started

Moderator Emeritus

Pvtbomb -- In my short tenure of reloading/casting (~50+ years) I've noted basically two groups: those who try casting and don't like it -- mostly due to their using junk equipment, expecting to instantly turn out hundreds of pristine bullets at a penny (or less) a piece -- OR, those who kind of become addicted to it. (Like... me!) I started with a Lyman MouldMaster pot, one H&G .38 S&W Special wad-cutter mould, and an old dishtowel stapled across a wooden box to catch my fresh cast bullets. A cake cutter, round pie pan, a .357 mag case, and some Alox got me lubed, and ready to load and shoot. My advice is not to be in any "hurry" -- from the gurus (most now know more than I might now know!) on this site, you can pick up lots of hints re both technique and equipment. The REAL beauty, imho, of a casting station -- unless, of course, you have the luxury of a dedicated ventilated spot to always keep your gear -- is ALL your stuff is together, and your time is maximized when you wish to cast some bullets. Any of the setups illustrated -- and, I'm sure what you will come up -- will indeed be ever so much more than the dollars and efforts you put into it! Good luck, and best wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Pvtbomb -- In my short tenure of reloading/casting (~50+ years) I've noted basically two groups: those who try casting and don't like it -- mostly due to their using junk equipment, expecting to instantly turn out hundreds of pristine bullets at a penny (or less) a piece -- OR, those who kind of become addicted to it. (Like... me!) I started with a Lyman MouldMaster pot, one H&G .38 S&W Special wad-cutter mould, and an old dishtowel stapled across a wooden box to catch my fresh cast bullets. A cake cutter, round pie pan, a .357 mag case, and some Alox got me lubed, and ready to load and shoot. My advice is not to be in any "hurry" -- from the gurus (most now know more than I might now know!) on this site, you can pick up lots of hints re both technique and equipment. The REAL beauty, imho, of a casting station -- unless, of course, you have the luxury of a dedicated ventilated spot to always keep your gear -- is ALL your stuff is together, and your time is maximized when you wish to cast some bullets. Any of the setups illustrated -- and, I'm sure what you will come up -- will indeed be ever so much more than the dollars and efforts you put into it! Good luck, and best wishes!
    geo
    PVTBomb, I would agree with George, having the right equipment makes the hobby more enjoyable. And more likely to stick with it. Invest in great molds (like the H&G mold mentioned, I also started on a H&G 38WC #50) and you will be happy. I’ve only been casting about 8-9 years but I’ve learned one invaluable lesson, quality of quantity is key.

As for a cheap table, anything will do and you can always add casters if you want it portable. My family and business have bought several of the metal racks found at Sams Club/Costco and the wheels that come in those boxes are weight rated at 500lbs per set if the user doesn’t need them for the rack.

As for a nice top, if you ever find yourself in the Lansing Michigan I might be able to spare you something that will work nicely if you want.