Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 boolit mold for mouse fart loads

Boolit Master

30-30 boolit mold for mouse fart loads

I'm interested in suggestions for a mold to make boolits for 30-30 mouse fart loads. I've never loaded or shot any rifle with reduced loads so this is a new thing for me. I have an old 30-30 my dad gave me 40 years ago that I've shot less than a box of ammo. Every time I walk by the safe I can hear it crying from the neglect it's had and got to thinking it would be nice to give it a little love.

Boolit Master
    That Lee 309-113 flat nose seems like a good candidate. I don't have that mold specifically, but do use the 90 grain swc handgun mold in 30 06 and 300 blk (308 win some too) for mouse fart loads over titegroup....wicked fun man. Cheap and giggle factor is high.

I found them to be very accurate too cutting saplings in half at 25-50 yards

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

The Lee TL314-90 SWC is my go to for very light 30-30 loads. I cast it with range scrap, size it to .311 and lightly lube it with Lee Liquid Alox. I load it with 2.7 grains of Bullseye and it does about 950 FPS +/- in my M94 Carbine. It is surprisingly accurate even out to 50 yards and beyond, and fun as all get out to shoot. It's good for rabbits and varmints too. I use the same mold for 30-06 and my Mosin Nagant light loads as well. I highly recommend it!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...semi-wadcutter

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience has been that the lighter-weight, short-nosed "soup can" style bullets do not feed reliably from older 94s, but that the nose rises up past the chamber and jams at the chamber entrance at 12:00.

Much better to have long-nosed bullets which present a profile similar to factory rounds, but plain-based, loading with light charges of 3-5 grains of fast-burning pistol or shotgun powder, using soft alloy, 8-10 BHN. No filler required.

Accurate has a clone of the original 115-grain Winchester Small Game bullet #31-115K which was intended for this exact purpose. There are several other Ideal and other designs which are suitable. The old Ideal #308241 and RCBS 30-150CM also come to mind.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-115K-D.png

http://http://www.accuratemolds.com/...=31-130C-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-135A-D.png

http://http://www.accuratemolds.com/...=31-155D-D.png
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

For that exact same purpose I started with Lee C309-113-F , worked well at short range with 10.0 grains of Unique.
    Moved on up to the Lee C309-170-F for longer range with 12.0 grains of Unique .

I prefer shooting the 170 grain loads , they seem more accurate .
    My model 94 was a passed down also ....my daughter loves to shoot these loads in it .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    For that exact same purpose I started with Lee C309-113-F , worked well at short range with 10.0 grains of Unique.
    Moved on up to the Lee C309-170-F for longer range with 12.0 grains of Unique .

Gary
    Does it feed? Didn't in either of my pre-1964 Model 94s.

And 10 grains of Unique is hardly a "mouse fart" but rather noisy and may lead with a plainbased bullet.

4 grains of Unique will exit the barrel every time and is quiet like standard velocity .22 LR
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Super Moderator

The Lee TL314-90 feeds perfectly out of my M94.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 06-07-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Just use the cast bullet you usually shoot and loadit on top of 3.5-4.0grs of Bullseye .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The Lee TL314-90 feeds perfectly of of my M94.
    If that swc feeds in a lever gun look no further...love that little bullet only wish they made a 6 hang mold. I shoot a pile of them in an afternoon...powder coat and size em down no leading at all

I think the large bearing surface to weight ratio is what makes it such a straight shooting bullet....or that's my theory anyways (it is only a semi point away from a wadcutter after all)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Just use the cast bullet you usually shoot and loadit on top of 3.5-4.0grs of Bullseye .
    I cast the accurate .313 150T which is plain based. Powder coated and sized to .311 over light loads of bullseye is my favorite light load in a Marlin 336. I also have a plain based 311041 that is very accurate over light loads of Unique and Red dot.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    RCBS 30-150 cowboy bullet, SAECO 630 30 cal 140gr FNPB, Ideal/Lyman 311241 30 cal 150gr RNPB.

Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 2nd Edition. It has GREAT low velocity data. For subsonic loads I use Red Dot. For supersonic loads I step up to Unique and Blue Dot. The BD load can be found in the silhouette section of the 2003 Alliant powder manual.

You can download old Hercules and Alliant manuals here.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...M/Alliant.html
    Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimkim; 06-07-2019 at 09:55 PM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Like you I had a severely neglected 30-30 setting around for years that was brought back to lead a very productive life shooting cast boolits with very pleasant loads of Unique under NOE 165 gr FN plan base , and NOE 311-041 gas check cast boolits .

For light load for me I use 32cal boolits .If they feed ok in my rifles I use them ,if they do not I just load one at a time. I have them shoot like a 22cal. I load for 32cal handgun also.So i just size the boolits down. But the Lee 113 FN was the first I was thinking also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    My Winchester likes my old Ideal 3118, powder coated.
    It's killed a lot of groundhogs.

My Marlins like the NOE 311-127 FN, plain base and powder coated.

They all seem to like Red Dot just a little better than
    Unique or Trail Boss.

Boolit Master
    A pound of powder goes a long way .

Boolit Master
    My favorite mouse fart boolits is the Lyman 311410 130gr. This boolits was designed for the 30 Carbine. I sized to .310 with homemade lube and loaded over 4gr. Bullseye for about the same velocity as a 22 LR in a 25" Mod 94 rifle. 1 1/2" group at 25 yards. When I size them I blunt the nose to the size of the primer, I modified my old Lyman lube sizer to get the exact same bluntness every time. My alloy is straight WW. Air cooled, I think they are about 10 hardness.

Banned
    I use the Meister 94 grain bullet sized to .309. 6.7 grains Unique is not bad but am going to load some today with 2.7 grains
    Bullseye. will let you know later how accurate they are in my 14 inch contender.

Boolit Master
    My original ideal 308241 150 gn rn shoots well.
    The lee 150 -170 grns work well.
    Saco 315 clone shoots well in mine as well as most things.
    Mines not a lever action thou.
    Even 310 cadet heeled bullet sized down shoots good.

I have had not much luck with round balls or the 32 cal lee swc as others have had thou.

Softish allow that flows well and a liberal coating of soft lube such as 50/50 bw/vas.
    That and a good fit in the throat and seated out to touch the lands in a well formed neck sized if needed case works for me.
    For the burning dirt I use bullseye mostly.
    I can seem to find a load that shoots well easily before it gets too fast out the barrell to crack and bark.

I have quite a few loads.
    One is the 308403 pope bullet as cast. Dip lubed ,then finger seated into the mouth of fired case with just a new primer and a small dipper of bullseye.
    I can shoot this all day with a minimal of tools and powder.
    I find the slow pace tends to steady my mind and I don’t have to churn out ammo in advance.
    Cases last about for ever.

Many ways to skin this cat.

I have the ness safety mold now and I think it might work well for a bit more splat.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 06-12-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Another here using the Lee TL314-90-SWC cast of any scrap alloy, TL'd in LLA and let thoroughly dry, size .311 for use in 30-30. Sized case necks expanded with .31 expander, primed, a small dipper throwing 2.7 gr Bullseye charges the case and bullets seated to 2nd lube groove. I single loaded in M94s or shot in the Contender Carbine no crimp is used. If mag fed through M94s the are mildly crimped.

Accuracy is excellent, noise minimal (hence mouse fart) recoil non existent. I loaded and fired one case (w/o crimping) 30 times in one of my M94s and never had to resize or re-expand the case necks. After a few rounds I was able to thumb seat the bullets But with the LLA lube they held in place in the case neck for single loading.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I'm with Larry on this except these are more cow fart with 7grs of Red Dot. A great little boolit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast