RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had the choice, which would you choose?

Boolit Master

If you had the choice, which would you choose?

[LATE NOTE] See post #29 also.

My reloading, shooting, and hunting Mentor for more than 30-years passed in 2017 taking the air out of the room and my motivation with him. It was like getting sucker punched in the gut from which I have not yet recovered.

He left me his estate including his RCBS Rockchucker, dies, and the plethora of guns and equipment (mostly green) amassed in his years of shooting and reloading. I have been "dead" to reloading, shooting, and hunting since his passing.

Yesterday my next door neighbor of 2-years approached me to teach him how to reload!?! He's younger than me as well a Fireman for the Orlando Airport - all well and good. I'm a recently retired Civil/Structural Engineer.

He is also pro-RKBA and displays his "Don't Tread On Me" license plate on his front bumper, so we get along in these already. Next Thursday we start this trek.

My question in the title is, if my neighbor is satisfied that making 30-06 (his caliber) is going to work for him and he is ready to dive in right now, do I offer to sell him my newer and lightly used red Lee Classic Cast Press or my Mentor's first generation green Rockchucker?

I also consider that my neighbor may wish to purchase his own - brand new. In that I can show him a multitude of on line retail supplies for his shopping pleasure...not the least of which is his wife's Cabela's Club credit card.

I am leaning toward selling the Rockchucker as my bench has already accepted its red neighbor and I think my Mentor would have approved.

Interestingly, our newest neighbor moved in two months ago to a recently constructed home right across the street from both of us. I met the new neighbor and his wife yesterday. He is helicopter pilot and remarkably a former FFL from Louisiana with a decade+ of retail firearm and equipment sales experience!

Woo Hoo! Block party time! I feel as if a pebble has been thrown into still water and concentric rings are starting to form...it is GOOD to know the neighbors and to know they are of like minds. This is shaping up to be a fun Summer. I am starting to feel that old spirit once again.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 06-08-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I'm not parting with my RockChuckers, but I'll help somebody find one.
    Actually, I'd kind of like to have one of the little cheap Lee aluminum jobs just for decapping as I don't like the carbon and other junk in my green stuff.
    I just haven't been willing to give up the $40 yet. Maybe someday I'll find a used one cheap.

Boolit Master
    If he's interested, I would offer the Rockchucker. The Lee must suit your needs or it wouldn't be on your bench.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Banned
    Give him the Lee. The Rockchucker will always be a part of you.
    I lost a good friend last year and inherited all his reloading tools. They aren't going anywhere. It's about the memory.

Ken

You would have to pry my Rockchucker from my cold dead hands!

Another Big Green here. Nothing wrong with Lee, but IMHO it is hard to beat RCBS. Personally, I like having a couple presses on my bench. I would keep both and help your mentee get some new equipment. It is good that you and he found each other to share a great activity.

Boolit Master
    It is really nice to have more than 1 press if you don’t have room on your bench put one on a portable stand , use the one you like most for your primary . And every time you use that old RCBS enjoy the the generosity and memories of a good friend.

Banned
    I would give the neighbor the Rock Chucker and explain its history and meaning to you. He'll appreciate it more, maybe even hold it with some reverence. That "dead" feeling you have to reloading will be replaced with teaching. Your friend's passion for reloading will live on in a new reloader.

This is your chance to go from "Being mentored" to "Becoming a mentor" and also a chance to honor the memory of your lost friend.

If it was me, if money was involved at all, it would be dimes for dollars.

Listen to your heart, and follow it.

Boolit Buddy
    It seems to me that all the other presses out there are always compared to
    the RCBS Rock Chucker.
    Keep it and sell the other press

Boolit Master

Mentoring is very enjoyable. I been helping a young man. Good times ahead for you and him.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I'd go a different route; LOAN him the RC AND the LEE to get the feel of reloading and get him established in reloading as a hobby that he will stay with THEN encourage him to buy his own setup. You'll thank yourself later for NOT selling your mentor's equipment.

I'd loan or let him use either one.

If this is the path for him, he'll buy his own stuff.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would offer the lee and keep the rock chucker. Not because i think the rcbs loads any better ammo but for
    sentimental reasons. I treasure things that i inherited.

Boolit Master
    I like Lee loaders, and use them all the time so wouldn't consider gifting the Lee a slight in the least. That RCBS would have sentimental value though and I wouldn't part with it. JMHO

Banned
    I have some things from my dad that will go to my sons as they were given to they shall be passed on again.

Over the years I've gifted at least 4 presses to folks just starting out. 2 of those guys have really caught the bug and have passed on some of their unused equipment to other new reloaders. That makes me happy and I'll bet the OP will be happy no matter the decision on which press to give.

Boolit Master
    As several folks above said, after a reasonable time loan him the RC. That will allow him to spend money on a manual, scale, trickler, etc etc etc etc etc, and components while figuring out hos preferences.

I would keep the Rock Chucker and loan/give/sell him your Lee Classic. Every time you use your old mentor's press it will bring back good memories of him, what he taught you and the enjoyment you had together. Realize that you are about to, hopefully, start the same type of relationship with the new guy. You will be his mentor.

Wow that is a tough call for sure. I can also understand your generosity, for many reasons. I would have a hard time deciding the correct path and would have a hard time giving up either press.

My dilemma, I have 2 sons, a natural son and a step son. Neither of which can own firearms because of drugs so neither will be getting any of my guns or reloading equipment when I pass. Have 2 son's-in-law and neither of them have any interest in reloading though they both shoot. So what to do? If I could find a young person that I liked that I could mentor I would be more than happy to pass on my things.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast