Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If you had the choice, which would you choose?

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the update!

Hope it turns out the best for all involved.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I will keep my eye out for him. I think he is planning another camping trip. His 5th wheel camper was backed up to his front door today for loading and off loading. I am interested in sharing the wealth.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Most of my reloading equipment was bought used from guys who thought they wanted to reload and found out it was not for them. My point is many people think they want to reload and then bail out. You might teach the guy a little to see if he is really going to stick with it before he commits to buying equipment.
    Some people go from one hobby to the next without a bit of hesitation.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I will try to make a long story short. About 5 years ago I bought my first pistol for carry and self defense. (Was able to get a carry permit in New Yorkistan but that's for another thread.) I had always shot rifle and shotgun but not much handgun. I joined a gun club to be able to practice with no intention of going any further. I soon started to shoot IDPA, USPSA and Bullseye. Every one of the different team members suggested that I start to reload. When I explained that I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money for something I may not like to do, one of the members gave me a life time loan of a Rock Chucker, Lee priming tool, a set of Lee dies and 1000 pieces of clean tumbled brass. The loan was for as long as I wanted to use them and if I didn't like the hobby I could give them back. He had acquired all of it at yard sales for very discounted prices. I'm now on this website trying to learn how to cast and powder coat my own. So far I have collected about 750# of coww, range scrap and scrap lead that is now cast into ingots. My next step is to start casting and powder coating. Everyone told me I would save money reloading, they lie, I just shoot a hell of a lot more. The Rockchucker is mounted on my reloading bench next to my Dillion 550 and is still used all the time. The moral of this long winded post is, if someone shows an interest in the shooting sports or reloading please take the time to mentor and encourage them. I know if I was not helped into the hobby of reloading I would not be suffering from this wonderful addiction now. I'm not saying to Land Owner which press he should give or loan to his neighbor, just to mentor him and follow his heart what would be best for the both of them!

Boolit Master

Pete44mag...I have achieved most of what I want to do in this world. Not cashing in my chips, but I have more than I will ever use and letting the man "permanently borrow" one of my machines is not out of the question. Realistically, I can never use more than two at a time anyway. I just don't know what his interests are. He said 30-06, but didn't talk at all about his gun(s). Perhaps I should have shut up some and listened. We were having a good time and were getting to know the parts and pieces. I thought it best that he at least take some homework with him to read a little about this hobby. After all, reading and learning go hand in hand and I am just showing him the way. In the end, he will have done all of the heavy lifting. I don't think it is "over". You live next door to someone long enough, you will run into them again eventually. I will just let this simmer until then.

Boolit Buddy
    Land Owner... I think you are a very generous and wise man and I would find it an honor to be your neighbor!!!

Boolit Master

I was at the Vet yesterday afternoon with our 41 pound Manchester Terrier, a "Rottweiler - German Shepherd mix" as written on the adoption papers 6-months ago by the non-profit Rescue people from whom we saved "Max" as a 5-pound, 8-week old, puppy, (go figure). We wanted and thought we were raising a soon-to-be 120# brute. They were SO WRONG! We love him just the same - even though he is 1/3 the dog we intended him to be - the other 2/3's are in there "in attitude" though.

My neighbor came over during that period to share a gallon bag of Spanish Mackerel they had just caught. My wife accepted the delivery and I did not get the chance (yet) to thank him. Now I have an "excuse" (if I even needed one) to go over to his house and talk to him.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-23-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    Dogs, dogs, dogs .... where would we be without them?

Life would be without them I tell ya!

I have been working with one of my nephews (he is a senior at Montana State this year) and his elk rifle is a 300 RUM, he likes handloading, his father (my brother) bought him a very nice reloading setup from the widow of a good friend of my brother’s who suddenly passed. You would think he would grab my help with gusto? He is certainly interested, he mounted his stuff up. He appreciated my efforts greatly. He loads up a series of test loads, we have a shooting range right here on the ranch and the kid sat on those rounds for three weeks without firing them telling me he did not have time to shoot them. He just went back to school and will hunt this fall with factory stuff again.

I asked him if he was scarred of his own ammo? He says no. I do not understand, I supervised his work then as well as his latest loading and we have been loading together for a while and he shot those past loads.

His younger brother is now interested in getting better accuracy out of his 22-250, I guess I will work with him. I have always figured that the older brother was the most motivated of the two but he is two States away now.

It is frustrating.

A friend of the family has been getting schooled by me and he has the fire. He lives about 25 miles away and he is a school administrator about to retire in a year or two so he is very busy already but he really tries to get with the program.

It all comes down to they either have the fire or they don’t.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned

no brainer there. Rock chucker all the way. Give him the lee because you probably cant get enough selling it to justify shipping. That rock chucker will still be making ammo when your great great grandkids are pulling the handle.

Banned

I used to have a box of extra presses scales ect that id give to anyone starting out. Son in law and the grandson started loading and they stole the hole box. I told them they could have it as long as once they got established and knew what theyd use and what they wouldn't that they would give the rest away. there was two rcbs jr's in there and one of those lee presses like yours. I have only 2 single stage presses. Ones a rock chucker that will never leave the bench and is used for SERIOUS chores and the other is a Hornady that uses the quick twist die bushings that I bought because I have two lnl progressives that have them. Didn't realize the dies set for the progressives have to be readjusted for the single stage (stupid of Hornady) I rarely use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Pete44mag...I have achieved most of what I want to do in this world. Not cashing in my chips, but I have more than I will ever use and letting the man "permanently borrow" one of my machines is not out of the question. Realistically, I can never use more than two at a time anyway. I just don't know what his interests are. He said 30-06, but didn't talk at all about his gun(s). Perhaps I should have shut up some and listened. We were having a good time and were getting to know the parts and pieces. I thought it best that he at least take some homework with him to read a little about this hobby. After all, reading and learning go hand in hand and I am just showing him the way. In the end, he will have done all of the heavy lifting. I don't think it is "over". You live next door to someone long enough, you will run into them again eventually. I will just let this simmer until then.

Boolit Master

I had thought to take the RCBS 4X4 manual index press, then looked at it closely. Needs shell holders that are probably too difficult to get and I don't have any myself, so the Lee Classic Cast is it! Then I will install my hunting partner's Rock Chucker in that "hole" on my bench and have TWO Rock Chuckers. Can an old style Rock Chucker "bicycle" handle be modified for a "cue-ball"?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234