Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Price check on Win. 1894, 32 special, 1956 model.

Boolit Master

Price check on Win. 1894, 32 special, 1956 model.

I ran across a old gun trading buddy, who had a nice pre 64, 1894 in .32 special. He is asking $600 for it. The gun is in A1 shape mechanically, the wood is great, 60% bluing on magazine tube and barrel, none on the receiver, just shiny metal, no pitting, or rust. The bore is beautiful, and the rifle runs slick, locks up very tight. Is it worth the $? I do hot bluing, and would be hard pressed not to blue it, because it would be so easy to start rusting, in this humid area where I live in S Central KY. I think it would only add to the value. All feedback appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post

I ran across a old gun trading buddy, who had a nice pre 64, 1894 in .32 special.

He is asking $600 for it.

The gun is in A1 shape mechanically, the wood is great, 60% bluing on magazine tube and barrel, none on the receiver, just shiny metal, no pitting, or rust.

The bore is beautiful, and the rifle runs slick, locks up very tight.

Is it worth the $?

I do hot bluing, and would be hard pressed not to blue it, because it would be so easy to start rusting, in this humid area where I live in S Central KY.

I think it would only add to the value.

All feedback appreciated.

In my world, a gun with 60% barrel bluing and missing receiver finish isn't a "nice" gun - it's a shooter all day, and I would be hesitant to give more than $500 for a Winchester 94, even a pre-64, in that condition (YMMV, of course).

A reblued pre-64Model 94 ( Winchester changed the model 1894 moniker/tang marking in 1923) isn't generally regarded as having a higher value than a Model 94 in original factory condition (bluing) - in fact a re-blue is usually discounted.

A properly re-finished gun, however, might hold a bit better value for the shooter that wants a nicely-finish shooter they don't have to worry about (finish-wise).

If the steel is properly & regularly attended to, IME rusting will usually never start, even in high humidity.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I would say 400-450 in my area. If re blued much less.

I'd say 450 maybe 500 round here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys!

The gracious way out of this if you can't dicker him down to your perceived value is to work out a trade with something of yours you offer above your perceived value.

Boolit Master
    Worth?
    In this local I've never encountered a 32 in 80% condition selling below 600 period. Although if you could get your buddy down around 500 that price would leave a little meat on the bone for you also.
    Triva: Years ago before Cast & Paper patching were popular one could get a nice 32 for a song. Now the rifle is more popular than its cousin the >30-30.
    BTW: Aint that receiver patina pretty Mr. Koger? I've always thought so.
    As best I recall I think I have 5-6 32's here. Even got a pair of never fired 32 spec carbines one serial number apart from each other. (Sad story those two rifles were involved in.) No matter.
    So long as you're friends rifle is tight and it's previous owners haven't shot Black Powder thru it. Make a deal " give that 32 a new home.

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased a 94 32 spec. Worked up a cast bullet load and never looked back. Offer him $350 and start negotiating. BTW 30/30 brass ran through 32 spec. Dies works for me.

Boolit Master
    I would say 500. re blued it would go down. better to leave it take on a lite rust and turn brown.

Negotiate. 600$ is abit much for me. Keep in mind they made millions of these. And you will most likely see another one. Nice rifles though

$400-500 around here for what you described.

Moderator Emeritus

At the last gun show I attended, two pretty fair '94s were being purveyed by a fellow from which I had interest in an SP101 Ruger. We got "yacking" re the '94s, and Pete commented how he "could've had them sold in less than a week at $750 or more, just a very few years ago." He went on to say the many collectors are moving to retirement homes, or passing -- the market for these classics surely has evaporated. Annnd, the shooters (versus "collectors") seem to be pretty set with that which they have. My own heart sank, thinking on the three "old" Winnies in my safe... I paid -- at least 35 years ago -- $850.00 for an oldie in .38-55 -- is it now worth significantly less?
    Best I can offer is I know no way of guaranteeing a good return on a '94 (nothing fancy/"special") purchase. BUT -- if you like the firearm, and have the $$$$ -- I'd go for it! All of us are but one heart-beat from not being around any more. Morose -- but true. One of my '94s has just about zero blueing; I washed it with G96, and then applied a coat of Flitz firearm wax -- it's been in safe for 30+ years, and looks exactly as when I put it in. I have two 40watt lightbulbs wired in series as my only "rust preventer/dehumidifier" ... no problems.
    geo

Boolit Master
    he was a buyer. trying to get the price down. let himget them then come back and see what his sell price is.same old story if you have it and want to sell it is a bar of brass. if they have it and want to sell it is a gold bar.