Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Your Pet .30-40 Load?

Boolit Mold

Your Pet .30-40 Load?

Gentlemen:

I am looking to use a . 30-40 Krag for whitetail and would appreciate your advice. The rifle is built on a single shot falling block action, so strength is not an issue. I have an RCBS 180 grain flat point
    GC mold for the boolits.

I am particularly interested in your opinions on optimum bullet hardness and velocity. I would like a 200 yard load, although realistically I will never shoot so far. For alloy I have 25-1 and 16-1 lead/ tin on hand and life would be simpler if either alloy would be suitable in regards to both velocity and terminal ballistics.

Thank you for your consideration.

Glenn

Boolit Master

Let's see if this works

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sear...archid=5574563

OK, It worked for me. Some reading for you. Searching the forum is always good.
    Take a kid along

Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    Let's see if this works

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sear...archid=5574563

OK, It worked for me. Some reading for you. Searching the forum is always good.
    Link did not work for me.

Starting loads of IMR 3031 or 4895 should yield around 2000 FPS and the 180gr flat tip will probably kill a deer just fine with either alloy. Lots of experimenting to do before the hunt. I hope to have my own 30-40 up and running with cast by next season, too.

My 1895 Win does well with a 215 grain paper patched cast bullet of about 16:1 though they sometimes are softer. Charge is 42 grains Reloader 19 and a Remington std. large rifle primer. Usually produces 1 to 1 1/2 minute angle group but opens up a little at 300 yards to about 6 inches or a little more. I would not try a game shot over 200 yards as I am using aperture sights. Took a nice antelope last fall at a measured 162 yards. DRT.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Sorry about the link not working.
    In advanced search mode search entire posts for ".30-40 Krag" by user name "KCSO"
    You should get a ton of hits.
    Take a kid along

I have a nicely customized Krag rifle that was my grandfather's. The custom work to 'sporterize' it was well-done by the 'smith. No bubba touched it. I shoot it with the irons - a Lyman rear aperture sight and a Lyman front barrel-banded sight.

Although your Falling-block action is stronger them the Krag's, there's no need to hotrod the cartridge just to kill deer.

Lately I've been experimenting with 5744 to try and duplicate the original Krag load with 220gn bullets/boolits (g.c.-ed) at just a tad over 2000fps.

In one of the last few issues of HandLoader Magazine, there was an article on 30-40 Krag cast loads using various powders, including 5744.

Just a suggestion ... Good luck!
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 07-02-2019 at 07:16 PM.