Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering bottom-pour pot - need insight from Forum Members

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    If you get the Lee and build a PID, you can use the PID for other things, like your PC baking oven.

Agree with Leo on this one. Easy to switch probes from pot to pot or device to device when it’s a separate unit. Also, reviews and feedback I got from RCBS all points to built in units need special care with cool down procedures. RCBS PM2 has a fan that cools the PID, if you unplug and walk away from a hot pot the heat will fry the circuits in the PID. Independent PID eliminates that issue.

Boolit Mold
    Those are great points. So the only benefit of the Lyman or RCBS over a PID-equipped Lee 4 20 would be an extra 5 pounds and ? Maybe less dripping if I get lucky? Anything else?
    Being able to move it from one pot to the other is a great idea, although I don't think I would use it for my PC oven which works fine without PID.
    I have recently started smelting and cleaning my lead in a cast iron pot over a propane turkey fryer. I like the idea of keeping my current little pot full of pure lead for blackpowder guns and using the bigger one for an alloy. Building a PID should be pretty easy since I am a licensed Electrical Contractor (low voltage) in three states. Although I have a suspicion that I will eventually build one for each pot...

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    If you get the Lee and build a PID, you can use the PID for other things, like your PC baking oven.
    If you buy a fancy pot with it built in that's all it can do.
    I built my PID into an old cash box. I used a wall outlet in the side of the box. When not in use the power cord and temp probe get coiled in side. When in use the box stays open with the pot/oven plugged into the outlet.
    Clean your scrap lead in a big pot on a propane burner, flux well and pour into ingots. This lets you put only clean lead in your casting pot. This minimizes dripping.
    Leo

This is correct. If you start with clean lead you dripping will be little or not at all. I love my Magma, but even it deserves to be cleaned out every couple of years. I empty it and clean the stem and pot for debris that build up and could cause clogs in the process.

Banned

I have a Lyman 10 lb bottom pour from the early 70's that still works like a champ! An occasional drip in my usual marathon casting sessions! About 5 years ago I bought a 20 lb RCBS furnace that I call the Drip o matic. The planets have to be aligned perfectly for it not to drip!

Have an old Lyman Model 61 Mould-Master bottom pour. Works great! never drips or give me any trouble. I tried a Lyman Mag-20 a few years back. It was nothing but trouble and would drip. Wound up giving it another caster at my club after it powered off on me with a full pot one day. Don't know what kind of luck he had with it. The old 61 just keeps on going though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123