RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Herters primer pocket swaying die

Boolit Master

Herters primer pocket swaying die

Did Herter make a small pocket primer crimp remover?

Banned
    Yes, but not until the late catalogs. I have seen one, own none, they are really scarce.

Ken

Hornady has a cutter tool, not a swagger. Works fine.
    Whatever!

I used the Lyman Cutter when I first started but quickly switched to the RCBS swaging tool when I found out about it...

Boolit Master
    I do have a Herter's primer pocket swage to 'remove' miltary primer pcoket crimp. I know I have used the large rifle swage, pretty sure I have the small rifle in the same place. The large rifle swage was designed to fit in a 30-06/308 shellholder, if I remember correctly. Been using reamer of one sort or another to cut away crimp, then a primer pocket uniforming tool for many years. I do miss Herter's, killed by the 1968 gun control act. Their stuff was PERFECT.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez -do not mess yer press up - use a Dillon Primer Pocket Swage.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I do have a Herter's primer pocket swage to 'remove' miltary primer pcoket crimp. I know I have used the large rifle swage, pretty sure I have the small rifle in the same place. The large rifle swage was designed to fit in a 30-06/308 shellholder, if I remember correctly. Been using reamer of one sort or another to cut away crimp, then a primer pocket uniforming tool for many years. I do miss Herter's, killed by the 1968 gun control act. Their stuff was PERFECT.
    I managed to hang onto my 1968 Herters Catalog... I not only enjoy looking at all the perfect, ,perfected and worlds greatest everything but I find it a valuable resource book . I've looked many things for people in this 50 year old catalog.

The 1968 catalog , on page 485 , shows Herter's Primer Pocket Swaging Die , item # SE1A , price is $2.85 . for G.I. 30-06 and 308 cases. Replacement swagging head $0.35 .
    Fits all reloading tools with the standard 7/8"-14 thread size .

Right above this ad is an ad for Herter's Low Cost Rifle Loading Kit...looks just like a Classic Lee Loader ! Amazing...it's just Perfect . I miss Herter's !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have a couple of the large but as PRESSMAN says, the small ones are scarce!! Have been looking for one for a long time!!
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Bub
    That's interesting. At first I was using the RCBS crimp remover and even after reaming them as much as possible with the reamer I was still having issues inserting primers in LC 5.56 brass with most priming methods. Picked up the RCBS press mounted swager-2 tool just to try out swaging and after swaging a few pieces of brass I decided to prime a few with some different methods and instantly it was like night and day for me. Possibly my RCBS reamer is a bad one but after reading many reviews it was suppose to be one of the best to buy.

I have looked at other swagers since and may eventually pick up another one to try out but the RCBS works quite well if you use it correctly. To keep the cases from sticking it's best to rub just a little bit of case lube on the nipple that goes into the primer for swaging every few rounds to keep the cases ejecting smoothly. Other then that I don't have any complaints. It seems like most people try to adjust there press and die to swage at the bottom of the stroke and adjust the die for different headstamps etc. But to me that is a huge waste of time and it's very easy to do it by feel without adjustments. Just sit the die up so that it makes contact a little before full stroke and as the swager enters the primer pocket you can feel it push a little bit of material rather easily and then all of a sudden it becomes really hard and that is when you stop. It doesn't take much pressure at all to get perfect swages, as soon as you feel the pressure build up you are done swaging and ready for the next piece. It goes quite quickly for me.

The CH swaging die has very positive reviews as well, I may eventually try one out. I like that it's on the top of the press so you don't have to guide the round up into the die and shouldn't need any lube either. But I have also read some negatives about it where the case isn't supported and can lean. The fancy guys use the Dillon & RCBS bench mounted units and I thought about one of them as well but from what I read it doesn't support the primer pocket on the inside like the RCBS and can possibly deform it. I figure they are all fine, you just have to get used to what you are using.
    Last edited by Wolverine19D; 08-05-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    I think I have one of the herters small swaging dies, pieced it together from a box of odds and ends I got at a garage sale. Is it actually worth anything as a collectible?

Boolit Master
    Just use case chamfer tool Lee/Wilson both do a good job.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't agree with the reamers, too easy to oversize the primer pockets. then blow out will adjust your altitude. I aways use the Herters or RCBS swages. Never had any primers seat feelin loose that way.