Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nice Quiet .38 Special Load

Raccoons are tough. I usally just shotgun them. But I'm rural.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I use cb longs but always wait for a clean broadside heart lung shot they run about 20 yards and drop. Same results for last 5 from Savage bolt action.

Boolit Grand Master

In the 70's several friends had coon dogs. Killed a couple of hundred with 22. Most were treed and a lot were with 22 shorts. Never had an issue killing them with a 22.

When we built our last house we had an issue with coons rolling up the sod. Killed 8 with a 22LR included one that was 42 pounds on the scale. Took all of the screens off the windows. When we spotted one I very quietly open the window and once I got lined up I would softly whistle so they would look at me. A shot between the eyes would anchor them on the spot.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In the 70's several friends had coon dogs. Killed a couple of hundred with 22. Most were treed and a lot were with 22 shorts. Never had an issue killing them with a 22.

When we built our last house we had an issue with coons rolling up the sod. Killed 8 with a 22LR included one that was 42 pounds on the scale. Took all of the screens off the windows. When we spotted one I very quietly open the window and once I got lined up I would softly whistle so they would look at me. A shot between the eyes would anchor them on the spot.
    Ha, ha! Good shooting!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    when I lived in NW Pa, I got a call at work from my wife who told me there was a rabid raccoon on the porch and that I'd have to deal with him if he was still there when I got home. Sure enough, 2 hours later, the critter was on the front lawn. I shot into the garage and back out with my 12 gauge pump loaded with #4 turkey load. Long story short, I had to shoot that SOB 8 TIMES from about 15 feet away before he'd go down. I thought it was because it was rabid, but maybe not, maybe they are really tougher than a $2 steak.

Coon are not as tough as one thinks. They are also not as smart also to the point they get dumb in what they do.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Coons are really stupid and easy to trap, they will climb into anything baited with cat food. If you have other pets around and or if you are a catch and release guy use a Havahart. If you just want them dead or don't want to have to shoot them in the Havahart use a 220 Conibear in a cubby set baited with cat food. A super Colibri to the top of the head in the Havahart is all it takes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    when I lived in NW Pa, I got a call at work from my wife who told me there was a rabid raccoon on the porch and that I'd have to deal with him if he was still there when I got home. Sure enough, 2 hours later, the critter was on the front lawn. I shot into the garage and back out with my 12 gauge pump loaded with #4 turkey load. Long story short, I had to shoot that SOB 8 TIMES from about 15 feet away before he'd go down. I thought it was because it was rabid, but maybe not, maybe they are really tougher than a $2 steak.
    At 15 feet a 12 gauge with #4 turkey loads will shoot through a full size deer broadside leaving a large hole. When I was a kid I worked in a gas station in a rural area. Had to respond to deer car collisions. The owner kept a 22 rifle and a 12 single shot in the wrecker. Never shot one with a turkey load but standard 4 shot lead easily shot through them at close range.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-16-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In the 70's several friends had coon dogs. Killed a couple of hundred with 22. Most were treed and a lot were with 22 shorts. Never had an issue killing them with a 22...
    At the same time as you and yer friends my dad got coon dogs and we spent many a night out hunt'n. It was always one shot of .22 lr between the eyes after we shined the light up in the tree. One shot always dropped 'em.

Only one smart 'ol coon wouldn't look down. But we got that smart 'ol coon when the 'ol man climbed that fir tree. Couldn't see him at first... The 'ol man was a sitt'n on a branch about 25' up and right next to the trunk of the tree. He's a yell'n down at me he can't see that 'ol coon anywhere. Little did he know the coon was hiding just on the other side of the trunk. The 'ol coon got tired of wait'n for the 'ol man to climb down out of his tree so he decides to come around the trunk and say "hi". Well, that's when all the commotion started cuz the 'ol coon was too close for the 'ol man to plug him with the .22 so he beat him with the barrel and knocked that 'ol coon out of the tree.
    Now me and the dogs were just minding our own business down on the ground wondering what all the commotion was when all of a sudden that 'ol coon hit the ground right between us! Well needless to say the dogs just decided to join the party and jumped on that 'ol coon and I decided to let them and jumped back outta the way. Well, that was the biggest coon the 'ol man and I had seen before or since.
    Even though the dogs had the coon up against the base of the tree they were gett'n tired of that coon whoop'n on them and started to get disinterested. I was now yell'n at the 'ol man to "get down here and shoot the coon before he gets away" cuz the 'ol man had the only gun between us. We'll, now it starts to get real intrest'n. The 'ol coon tries to make a get away and makes a break for it. He don't get too far when Frank, (he was a big young red-bone hound at the time), well Frank had this uncanny ability to grab a fleeing coon in the middle of the back and hold him tight in his jaws. He held him in such a way the coon can't turn and bite or scratch him... Kind of like catching crawdads with your hands right behind the claws. Anyway, 'ol Frank is so delighted with himself that he caught that big 'ol coon he decides to bring him to me... Now all I can see is a mass of fur, claws and teeth coming my way and all I have to defend myself with is a flash light and a stick. I think the rest of the dogs were sitt'n back enjoying the show. And now I'm really yell'n for the 'ol man to get down here with that gun! At the same time I'm trying to out run Frank with what looked like the Loonie Toons Tasmanian devil in his mouth. My life was flashing before my eyes.
    Now about the time the 'ol man finally climbed down from the tree I decided to hit the Taz a good home run with that stick I was a carrying. I knocked him out of Franks mouth and he ran off with the dogs hot on his trail.
    A little while later the dogs had him treed again and we could easily see him even though he wouldn't look at the light. And it was one shot to the head from the 'ol mans Marlin and he hit the ground.

The morale of the story is; #1 shot placement is everything. #2 have more than one gun. #3 don't go coon hunt'n with a dog named Frank!

And that's the whole truth so help me God.

Boolit Grand Master

tbx-4 great story. That beats anything I've got...…………………...

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Hahahaha. You aughts write a book man!!! Good stuff!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Shades of Patrick McManus

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. It really is a true story with only slight embellishment.

Pat McManus... haven't read any of his stuff in years but I'd say he was an inspiration indeed.
    A friend of mine told me years ago he was in a doctor's office wait'n his turn when he picked up an Outdoor Life and started reading "The Last Laugh". Says it was so funny he was having a hard time stifling the laughter. Says everyone in the room kept looking at him funny. I told him maybe they thought he was having fits or convulsions or thought he was in for "mental issues". Needless to say everyone kept their distance.

One of my favorite McManus stories was when a neighbor came over and asked him if he knew anything about black powder and Pat answered while pointing at his forehead "you see any eyebrows?" "Well no" says the neighbor "but what does that have to do with black powder?" "Come inside and I'll tell ya" says Pat.... I think he had a few stories about his experience with black powder. I got a real chuckle out of that opening line.... So much so I had to go look in the mirror to see if my eyebrows had grown back.... I knew by experience there was truth in his stories!

Sorry for the off topic posts. The whole thread got me to think'n and I never know where that may lead.

Boolit Master
    A good, enjoyable thread! "It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness"...Patrick McManus
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Bub
    Jerry Clower coon huntin' story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev0li6_fFfo

I have fought off 'coons in my garden, possums on my kitchen deck, but not much prepared me for heading to the kitchen door a 1:30 AM a while ago in response to a driveway alarm I have set to signal critter-on-the-deck-alert. Not a possum or coon, but a bloody 35-40 lb. BOBCAT was trying to get past the screen door to avail himself of I-dunno-what. One of the housecats, probably. All I had was an old Iver Johnson revolver loaded with CCI Quiets. Dammed cat just stood there and glared at me from about five feet away, so I did my best to put one between the eyes, through the screen, protected species or no. I think it went about 1/2 inch high, bounced off the cat's skull. In any case it ran off as if unhurt. It hasn't been back, thankfully.
    Last edited by uscra112; 06-19-2019 at 01:07 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123