Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice Quiet .38 Special Load

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    Hi all! I am having a battle with a raccoon that keeps invading my wife's flowers. Two nights ago, I woke up at 0230 and heard him digging through her potted plants on our back patio. like the former Sniper I am, I stealthily crept from my bed and low crawled to my hide (actually, I stumbled, staggered, and bumped into a doorway or two). I grabbed my trusty Marlin Model 39A for this mission, and since I didn't want to wake up the entire neighborhood, I loaded it with a couple .22 shorts (shorts, by the way, were also the only thing I was wearing at the time of this engagement).

So creeping out onto my back deck, I spotted Ricky on top of a table about 10 yards away. This was the first time I actually laid eyes on my adversary, and I have to say I'm not sure how the small table was supporting a creature roughly the size of a polar bear (OK, maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration. Make him the size of a Shetland Pony). In any case, a sneer curled my lips as I thought how easy this shot was going to be.

Thus, I shouldered my rifle (literally, since there was nothing between my bare shoulder and the butt plate), and BLAAAM! (actually, more like "pip."). I doubt the anemic .22 short bullet actually bounced off Coonzilla, but neither did it vaporize him on the spot. His reaction was to jump down off the table and amble to a spot behind the bench at the far side of our patio. From that point, he proceeded to make faces at me through the slats of the bench. So once more I leveled the barrel of my blued steel beauty, and again I let him have it with another THUNDERING "pip." (This really was a pretty good shot. Low-light, at about 40 feet between the slats of the bench.). Ricky shrugged off the second shot, gave me the finger and strolled off into the woods.

I've had enough raccoon encounters over the years to know they are very hard to kill, and since these engagements usually take place late at night, I'm thinking a nice, quiet .38 Special load launched from my Marlin 1894 might be a better option for dispatching these rodent banditos. Anyone have any such loads you've developed?

Howard
    Shoot him in the eye (snipers should not have a problem) I"m not but used to hunt coon 7 nites a week . Cur dog would tree and alot of times the eye was what you shot at (light reflected) and coon met dogs /end of story Ed

Boolit Master

Hey, Sir Funk, I have nada to add to the discussion, but would like to say I appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship of your original post!

Moderator Emeritus

Howard, the way you shoot I'm betting that 'ol Ricky is "pushing up daisies" somewhere by now!

Anyway, another vote here for a 148 gr. wadcutter on top of a light charge of any suitable pistol/shot shell powder will be much more effective on Shetland pony sized raccoons than a .22 short. I'm partial to Red Dot, myself.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that I've seen you drive tacks with that Marlin before! Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If it comes back, look at what AT-4's cost in your area; Not so quiet but that'd cut short that monster's career of eating everything :P

Moderator Emeritus

Howard -- I loved reading your tale ! I must agree with castalot's suggestion -- Hav-A-Hart traps do, indeed, most quietly capture your quarry. A neighbor borrowed mine a couple of years ago, caught a 'coon, and released it about eight miles distance. Swearing -- four days later -- he again caught the same critter, he complemented the 'coon's tail with a bit of blue spray paint (also, my trap ) but the 2nd one had not the painted tail. Living in a village in New York State, "there's too much to lose" if caught discharging a firearm in city limits; hence, my need to buy and use the traps.
    One suggestion which might just work for you is to buy some Zippo cigarette lighter flints. Drill a hole in the tip of your .22 short cartridge and push in one of these. If you're OCD, a scant drop of Super-Glue guarantees it staying in until the hit. For "kicks"/practice, shoot an apple or orange at ~20 feet with a from the box .22 short; then, the one with the flint inserted.
    Btw, your 39A is one awesome .22 -- congrats on having and using this stellar rim-fire rifle! For "me", I'd reckon I could probably hit a 'coon after just waking up in middle of dark night with a 39A or similar rifle; even though I shot Bullseye pistol for years and years... *I'd* not have that much confidence using a .38 S&W Special handgun upon wakening in the dark. There is, too, muzzle flash as another factor.
    Just my 2 or so pennies...
    geo

Banned

We had one eating an outside tomcat's food in the nights and it evaded the box trap I set for it. I did manage to determine it was coming around about 1:30 AM, but I went out and slept in the truck passenger seat with the window rolled down and a .22 rifle. I live way out in the sticks, noise is not generally a concern, but I did think gun shots in the middle of the night might get attention, so a .22 it was. Guess I never realized how smart those things are, but sure enough, it showed up about 1:30 and made several passes around the place before committing to going on the porch where the food dish was. Even came up to the side of the truck and started at the open window for a while during which time I froze and tried to be invisible. When it finally went up the steps, it had to round a bush that blocked it from seeing me move and I got in poition. When it realized the cat's dish was empty, it came back down the steps, right where I planned and I shot it center of mass with a .22 LR hollow point. I think that one would have finished it, but it commenced to thrashing and growling so I kept shooting. It turned out to be a pretty big, old one and was missing a front paw from some previous encounter, I think it was too big to get in the box trap fully for the door to slam shut which is why I'd find the trap tripped and no coon.

I don't like killing things without a good reason anymore, but I was very fond of that tomcat and didn't want him hurt. The occasionally possum that would meander through got a foot stomp and a yell to scare it off, but this thing needed to die.

I think a .22 LR is plenty to get it done, but if you have neighbors and noise really is a concern, go with the box traps.

Attachment 243202

I live in town, one night I went to carry the garbage out to the can. Opened the screen door.
    And at the bottom of the steps less than 5' away was a big ol He coon from way back. He growled.

I came back with.

Now listen here you big bully. These are MY steps. I'm going to go back inside that door. And when I come back I'm going to be packing. If your still here your going to be a dead coon.

Go try that bluff on someone who has not killed his share of coons. It don't work on me.

See ya in a minute.

Time I came out again some 45 seconds later he was gone.

He figured he got the last word though. 2 weeks later was Thanksgiving. I set the big soup pot loaded with carcass, some water, skin, fat, trimmings to cool. Figuring I'd make soup the next day. No way there was room in the fridge.

That darn coon got the lid off the pot. Scattered gnawed bones all over my back deck. And let a nice scat pile on the top step.

The farm boy in me decided to let him win that one. Was not worth it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Caught a big ol coon in my Hav-a-hart trap one time. Thing about tore the end off that trap , getting out. Bent the fire out of the door. Didn't think I was ever going to get it to work again. Next night, caught him headed for the dog food bowl and a CCI Mini Cap took care of that problem.
    I too have put a couple of the mini-caps in a big raccoon and have them take off, never to be seen again.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Hey, Sir Funk, I have nada to add to the discussion, but would like to say I appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship of your original post!
    To this I would also add, it was most humorously presented.

This thread reminds me I have a never used 200 gr SWC .358 mold, I believe from NOE. Having no wadcutter molds, I'll bet that bullet loaded backwards, with a light charge of Red Dot or Unique would drill a fatal hole through most any rogue raccoon.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Thank you (and that's JUST the way it happened!)

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    Howard, the way you shoot I'm betting that 'ol Ricky is "pushing up daisies" somewhere by now!

Anyway, another vote here for a 148 gr. wadcutter on top of a light charge of any suitable pistol/shot shell powder will be much more effective on Shetland pony sized raccoons than a .22 short. I'm partial to Red Dot, myself.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that I've seen you drive tacks with that Marlin before! Semper Fi, Treetop
    Ha, ha! Semper Fi Treetop, and thanks! The 148-158 grain bullet in front of a light charge of pistol powder seems to be the consensus. Maybe I'll pick up some Trail Boss for the job. I've never used it before, but this might be the time to try it out!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Howard -- I loved reading your tale ! I must agree with castalot's suggestion -- Hav-A-Hart traps do, indeed, most quietly capture your quarry. A neighbor borrowed mine a couple of years ago, caught a 'coon, and released it about eight miles distance. Swearing -- four days later -- he again caught the same critter, he complemented the 'coon's tail with a bit of blue spray paint (also, my trap ) but the 2nd one had not the painted tail. Living in a village in New York State, "there's too much to lose" if caught discharging a firearm in city limits; hence, my need to buy and use the traps.
    One suggestion which might just work for you is to buy some Zippo cigarette lighter flints. Drill a hole in the tip of your .22 short cartridge and push in one of these. If you're OCD, a scant drop of Super-Glue guarantees it staying in until the hit. For "kicks"/practice, shoot an apple or orange at ~20 feet with a from the box .22 short; then, the one with the flint inserted.
    Btw, your 39A is one awesome .22 -- congrats on having and using this stellar rim-fire rifle! For "me", I'd reckon I could probably hit a 'coon after just waking up in middle of dark night with a 39A or similar rifle; even though I shot Bullseye pistol for years and years... *I'd* not have that much confidence using a .38 S&W Special handgun upon wakening in the dark. There is, too, muzzle flash as another factor.
    Just my 2 or so pennies...
    geo
    Thank you kindly George! If this problem continues, I might just have to get a trap. So far, though, he hasn't been back around. I keep hoping just maybe those .22 Shorts worked after all.

Howard

Boolit Master

A .22 standard velocity short to the head works fine. Used for years trapping raccoon. Will even take badgers and coyote.

If you trap them, kill them, fed up with having to kill the coons that are "humanely" released on my Mother's road. Hers is the only house for over a half mile, house and barn on south side of the road, second barn on north side 250 yards west.

"This looks like a good place Mabel, let's dump it here". And the car door opens and the coons/cats/possums/squirrels come out of trunk.

Worst was the car in broad daylight, stopped dead in front of the house with me out in the yard and dumped a whole litter of kittens.

I can just about hear the "You know Mabel, them farmers always needs more cats" as the car takes of down the road.

And for woodchucks and such I always favored 22 solids for open field shooting. A body shot and they hustled back to their hole, self-burying as it were.

Nasty attitude I know, but it comes from being launched off a hay wagon along with a dozen bales of hay when a wheel drops in a woodchuck hole with no warning, being a nice guy goes out the window.

Not as bad as the cousin who broke a leg after being launched via woodchuck hole, he wanted to dynamite them.

And you always hit the hole when you were most off-balance, like when you had a bale about head height, aiming for the top tier.

Boolit Master

Word of caution I hit Rocky between the eyes with a 32long from 10 feet the 98gr.Wadcutter with 1.8 gr of BE The Wadcutter was still visible just above his nose, he shock his head and walked off I've seen that coon a number of times since he is dead set on feeding out of a rabbit feed barrel on my deck.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    If, after all the viable suggestions posted, you still want to turn your .357 Marlin into a critter getter, I'd suggest a 75 grain wad cutter in a low .38 load. I use a double stack (150 grain total) in one .38 case and the lowest .38 target load listed for the 148 grain DEWC. Your long barrel will deaden the noise levels some and it will be rather quiet. Each shot will impart a double hit and has been effective for me. Happy hunting. (You can use .357 brass, also.)

Send me your address via a PM and I'll send a few for you to use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A .38 Special wadcutter loaded down with about 1.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup in .38 Special brass or 2 grains in .357 brass will exit the Marlin barrel reliably and be almost silent. Velocity will be about 600 fps. Rifle will feed as a "two shooter" loading one round up the pipe, and only one past the loading gate into the mag tube at a time. If you try to fill the mag tube rounds shorter than 1.40" OAL will double-feed onto the lifter and jam the gun. Trick is to carry a spare loose round or two, and once you pop one, work the lever to eject and chamber the fresh round from the mag tube and only then insert the loose backup round into the mag tube.
    This was going to be my recommendation, wadcutter 38. Single load and should eliminate that pest with little fuss.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    If, after all the viable suggestions posted, you still want to turn your .357 Marlin into a critter getter, I'd suggest a 75 grain wad cutter in a low .38 load. I use a double stack (150 grain total) in one .38 case and the lowest .38 target load listed for the 148 grain DEWC. Your long barrel will deaden the noise levels some and it will be rather quiet. Each shot will impart a double hit and has been effective for me. Happy hunting. (You can use .357 brass, also.)

Send me your address via a PM and I'll send a few for you to use.

This is a great suggestion. Or dual round balls with a light load of bullseye.
    I shot one of these loads and it went clear through 16” of ballistics gel. 2.5 grains of clays and 2 round balls .360”
    That would take care of him. Especially from a little carbine.

I trap and I normal shoot the animals in the head and if close will shot them in the ear. the end with normal 22lr . I normal get the cheapest ammo out there to use on everything I trap. That is also coyote. Problem with them is they move alot compare to coon and beaver. As for let a coon go some other place they will show back up where they had came from. Also it is not good for the other coon in the area they are drop off to, because of if they have a sickness they will give it to the area of coon they are drop off in. Many years ago a farmer gave use a coon when I was a teen back in the 70's and we had it in a cage and feed it and did not see a small hole in the cage it was use for rabbits and it was able to get itself out of the cage and later on the next day I over hear of one kid was hunting in mid morning and seen a coon and did nothing just stand there .He shot it. The coon was heading back to where it was from. This is about 4 to 5 miles away it was going back to. Just to give some ideas of what a coon will do.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast