WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's Your Beater Levergun?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My 1894 is similar beater. Stone killer. Barrel was shot out so had John Taylor reline.

Attachment 243180Attachment 243181Attachment 243182
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Bad JU-JU to carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle in MI.
    Not where I reside so long as a cab occupant has a Carry Permit and claims the rifle is his. (;
    Last edited by OverMax; 06-08-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    What would be, and is there a correct pictorial backdrop for a "Beater Levergun" and is this clearly dictated by the geographical location of such. I have seen those in the northern areas lay them in the snow for the pictures. The southwestern regions seems to like dropping them on rocks. I am in Florida, so would sand and or mud be correct for my backdrop?
    Given your local, I think leaned against a gator would be appropriate.

Boolit Master
    I will take some heat for this but my beater “truck gun” is a Mossberg 464 SPX 30-30. I added a ghost ring peep and from post from AO sights and a better muzzle break. It’s light adjustable stock. It’s accurate, shoot cast like crazy. Ugly as ugly can be but I am really happy with this rifle as a truck gun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    I will take some heat for this but my beater “truck gun” is a Mossberg 464 SPX 30-30. I added a ghost ring peep and from post from AO sights and a better muzzle break. It’s light adjustable stock. It’s accurate, shoot cast like crazy. Ugly as ugly can be but I am really happy with this rifle as a truck gun.
    Me too
    I have two
    Like them, a lot
    I treat them like ..... truck guns

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post

Usually pristine ones cost multiple times more, so People opt for the lesser ones.

Most of the time they are internally sound.

Just the outside got a pounding.

Call me a shopper, but sooner or later, I've always been able to find/buy guns in excellent condition well below market price at the time.

The trouble for me before I retired was that the economic purchases eventually led to my having so many guns (well over 100) that some of them never got used...…

(I sold off my accumulation to fund my early retirement, doubling & tripling my money outlay, over a decade ago).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have a well worn Win 94 30-30 that makes a great truck gun or for out crawling around in the brush.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Mold
    Winchester 94 in 38-55 for me

I'll tell up my backwards story. I won this on Gunbroker years ago with all intentions of making it my beater lever gun. To be used, abused, loaned and left in a car trunk. A Winchester 94 made in 1952. I'd looked a little rough in the photos, so I thought it would be perfect. The price was pretty good, didn't draw a lot of bids because of the photos.

And when it came... I was so disappointed. It was beautiful! lol

I couldn't beat on this rifle! There's some minor cuffing on one side of the wood where you can tell it road many miles/years in a truck gun rack, but even those marks aren't imediately apparent. I have no idea how it could look so bad in those photos. When I sell a gun I usually try to make it look as bad as possible, highlight all the bad things, scratches, scuffs, so there's no surprises and the buyer gets better than expected. But these guys put me to shame with their bad photo skills.

It's not too often you hear people complain that a gun they bought was better than they expected, but I'm an odd duck, it's happened to be a couple times.
    Former cylindersmith.

Vendor Sponsor

A good choice for the Rocky Mountains. It lived about 25 years in the seat-cover rifle sleeve behind my pickup drivers seat. Now just in a soft case behind me in the newer PU.
    1886 Winchester carbine button mag. 45-70 GOV.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-5- 15 008.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	243268
    It had a hard life but still shoots accurately.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Me too
    I have two
    Like them, a lot
    I treat them like ..... truck guns
    Excellent I was really surprised at how much I liked this rifle the more I use it the more I like it.

Boolit Master

1894 Remlin in .45 Colt. Built it as a camping/hiking carbine, then realized just how heavy it is and now have an AR chambered in .450 Bushmaster for that role...

Attachment 243289
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    What would be, and is there a correct pictorial backdrop for a "Beater Levergun" and is this clearly dictated by the geographical location of such. I have seen those in the northern areas lay them in the snow for the pictures. The southwestern regions seems to like dropping them on rocks. I am in Florida, so would sand and or mud be correct for my backdrop?
    I guess you can go off of that... I Live in Canada so I throw mine in the snow sometimes!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    This is my beater 30-30 that used to ride behind the seat of my pick-up.Sold my pick-up so it is not used much any more,just sits behind the door waiting on a bear to attack my bird feeder.
    Winchester model 94 made in 1975. Photo makes it look a lot better than it really is.Shoots the NOE version of Lyman's 311440 very well..

That one looks almost identical to one I bought cheap almost 30 years ago. Someone had put one of those side scope mounts on it, so extra holes and rusted receiver. I have that same Williams on it now. The rifle shoots well, I just don't do much with it now. I should shoot it more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    I have several “beater” leverguns (I have a soft spot for haggard levers) and my recent addition is this sad Savage Model 99 chambered in 243 Winchester (this was an actual “truck” gun that a local ranch family traded in/sold to my LGS).

This is what a 300 dollar Model 99 looks like in my area of the country (dates from 1970-1973)

The flat spot on the outer edge of the barrel at the muzzle gave me great concern and I eyeballed it very hard with a jewelers loupe before closing the deal.

It appeared (under heavy scrutiny) that someone had banged it on a hard surface and then filed the ugly spot out.

The crown at the bore (along with the bore itself) was not damaged and with ammo it likes it’ll shoot an honest one inch at 100 yards.

I'd take a $300 Savage 99 like that one anytime. I got a rough 99E like that one for about that a few years ago, refinished the stock, cleaned it up and put good glass on it. Mine is a .308.
    Attachment 243358

Beater and one of my favorites is a 1980 Browning BL-22. Great little 22
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Bub
    My beater... a Savage 1899 in 30-30

Boolit Mold
    Win 1894 30-30, via 1978. Not really a beater, but it doesn't make it to the range that often.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123