RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind Squirrel story

Boolit Master

Blind Squirrel story

A gentleman I work with (relatively new caster) asked me if I was interested in some lead his neighbor had. He said it was mostly pure; lead pipe , shower pan etc.. he had approx. 50 lb (maybe a bit more). Asked if $1.00 a lb was about right, I thought it was a tad high but I agreed to help the guy out so i said I'd take it.

Brought it home, it was lead pipe, shower pans and about 40lb of what appears to be about WW alloy cast into corn stick molds. I weighed the masses & it totaled 182.8lb So my purchase @ $1.00/Lb equated to $0.27 /Lb.

Sometimes a blind squirrel DOES find a nut
    Last edited by PbHurler; 06-04-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Bob

Ya done good.

I don't have a calibrated arm, but I like to think I could tell the difference between 50lb. and 183.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I here ya Ed, I'z surprised at what I saw when I loaded it up....whoa
    Bob

Was it all in one container or...

50-80 pounds is a normal sized dog.
    200 pounds is a grown man.

If you picked all of it up with one hand you might have a chance at the StrongMan Competitions.

Boolit Master
    So you agreed to $1/lb and then you didn’t pay that? Maybe there is some nuance that didn’t come through, but it sounds like you’re bragging about cheating the guy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    So you agreed to $1/lb and then you didn’t pay that? Maybe there is some nuance that didn’t come through, but it sounds like you’re bragging about cheating the guy.
    I thought it sounded more like the seller guesstimated it at 50# and wanted $50. When he got it home, it turned out to be more. That's no more ripping him off than buying $20 worth of tin (pewter) at the thrift shop for $2.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I enjoy guessing weights of livestock, fish, and lead. With some practice, livestock and fish are pretty easy. Lead, not so much! The variety of shapes and sizes really throw a wrench in things!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    I thought it sounded more like the seller guesstimated it at 50# and wanted $50. When he got it home, it turned out to be more. That's no more ripping him off than buying $20 worth of tin (pewter) at the thrift shop for $2.

If they had agreed to $50 for “all this lead” then I’d agree, but to me it clearly read the other way.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I'll clear this up

The "seller" wanted to get rid of this pile of lead & said he'd take $50.00 for it. I paid him his asking price of $50.00, and I brought home the lead.

The 50 lb. figure came from the gentleman I work with, that was HIS error.

The seller is/was happy, so am I..................

That about covers it.. Jeeze Louise!
    Last edited by PbHurler; 06-05-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Bob

Boolit Master

Bob...it went without saying that that was the way the deal went down.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I think the confusion was the deal at $1/lb...seller made the call at 50lbs which buyer agreed then found out later it was much more...caveat works for both seller & buyer.
    Could have been the other way around but seller has got to know his merchandise.
    Good buy!

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice score! You got lead, He's happy, You're happy, WIN WIN!

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    The guy that taught me to reload and cast called me one Friday night and asked me if I needed any lead. I said sure and he said bring me $50, I didn't question it because he had
    always been fair to me, so I go over to see what he had for me. He had 8 big coffee cans out on the table with 25# of No. 2 stamped into the ingots. He said 25 cents a pound and we loaded it
    in the back of my truck. That was 15 or more years ago. About 6 months later he called me and said he found some more #2 and asked me if I wanted it and I said sure, but this time
    he wanted 50 cents a pound. He had put a note on the bulletin board in the gun club office offering #2 alloy 200# Make me an offer. Well a guy offered him 50 cents a pound and that is how
    he came up with the new selling price. I didn't get anymore after that because another guy offered hi $1 a pound and he sold him the rest of his stanch.

I was in his shop not long after that and noticed he had price tags on everything in that shop. He was in his 80's and told me he didn't want his wife to be taken to the cleaners
    by someone lowballing the price for the stuff. I managed to take some of the stuff off his hands before he passed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    Ok, I'll clear this up

The "seller" wanted to get rid of this pile of lead & said he'd take $50.00 for it. I paid him his asking price of $50.00, and I brought home the lead.

The 50 lb. figure came from the gentleman I work with, that was HIS error.

The seller is/was happy, so am I..................

That about covers it.. Jeeze Louise!
    Then I apologize for the dust up. Had I known you in real life I’m sure that I’d have read it as you intended.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats pretty big of you JimB. This site is full of standup guys!

Boolit Master
    None needed Jim

I sometimes forget the written word is devoid of the inflections & nuances of the spoken word, and it's sometimes tricky to convey those within the typed word.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    he didn't want his wife to be taken to the cleaners
    by someone lowballing the price for the stuff. I managed to take some of the stuff off his hands before he passed.
    I'm getting in a little early on that game.
    I've been thinning out the safe and tool chest for the same reason.

A lot of things like molds, weapons, and special tools, our heirs wouldn't know what it was, and throw it away.
    Things I've sold or given away will end up with someone who appreciates them instead of at the dump.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

A lot of things like molds, weapons, and special tools, our heirs wouldn't know what it was, and throw it away.
    Things I've sold or given away will end up with someone who appreciates them instead of at the dump.
    This happened with a member that passed here. His wife and son didn’t know what anything was and unthinkingly started throwing away lots of bits and pieces of stuff. Simple example, the temp probe was saved because it was attached to a pot, but it wasn’t plugged into the PID at the time and they didn’t know what that little box was for and tossed it. A casepro was saved, but the dies for it were tossed. His brother took an old toolbox, so they dumped the contents into a box, about 20 die sets. Chop saws for brass prep and even a giraud trimmer, gone to the dump. I treated them fairly in my estimation, but you can only do so much when you have to spend months and money replacing parts. It was a stressful couple days for them. I know that I don’t want that for my family...but I haven’t done anything to avoid it yet either.

Boolit Buddy
    I just have a gigantic insurance policy. When I die, the spousal unit is set. She can burn all my stuff and be good to go for the remainder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

I've also started getting prepared for "being gone". I sold a shop full of electrical material and a few tools so the Wife and Kids won't have to deal with all of it. I sold tons of knives and belt buckles from the time that I thought I wanted to collect them. I'm getting better at keeping tools with multiple parts together with the spare parts in boxes and marked. I've gotten better at labeling my hand loaded ammo, cast bullets, brass stash and lead stash. Plus I've talked with the family more about this stuff.

PbHurler, we really hijacked your thread! My apologies!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast