Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disease risks associated with feral hogs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    And how does any of this pertain to " Hunting with CB's " ?
    It's about eating wild game and that relates directly to hunting. The threads gone on for two pages, buy now you should have been able to figure out if it was a topic that interests you or not. If not, stop reading and find something else on the forum that does. Simple as that.

Another strong argument for Hi-Tek coating your bullets so that when the boolit passes through a game animal , it does not leave a lead residue in the meat.......LOL

Banned
    Powder coat too!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by firebyprolong View Post
    I've been in the meat industry for the better part of 20 years, one of the biggest concerns with pork has always been trichinae. It's the big reason pork hasn't been consumed in a "rare" state for years. Trichinae has been mostly eliminated in the domestic population of hogs because of biosecurity measures and changes in feeding practices. In the feral population it's still very present and needs to be addressed. It's a living organism that can be destroyed by heat or cold. 145F is used by the FDA as a minimum temperature because at that temperature lethality is instantaneous. It can also be achieved at temperatures as low as 120 F for 21 hours. Alternatively freezing at a verified 5F for a minimum of 30 days also achieves lethality. If you're interested this is all USDA regulation from the code of federal regulation, 318.9. The CFR only applies to products under inspection at inspected facilities, but is useful as a guideline for your own butcher and processing processes. All that said it's your pork and your family, you can do as you like.
    This is absolutely correct. I might add that for DOMESTIC raised hogs the trichinae regulation/requirement by the USDA has been dropped since late last year. Irradiation, mentioned in an earlier post is considered an additive by the USDA and must declared on the label. In 35 years as an Inspector, I've never seen irradiation for pork, it however used frequently in pureed fruits/vegetables to control insects. There isn't any evidence of a chronic wasting disease in hogs. CWD in deer is not transmittable to humans.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    A story in passing....maybe 30 years ago we went to extreme Southern illinois to hunt wild hogs. Talked to 2 game Wardens before we started to hunt. We had their blessing ( at that time) and they warned us to never touch a hog. We were given a list of very nasty diseases every hog would have. "Always wear rubber gloves and never be unprotected." was the advice. "So we can't eat them?"......... "They taste great!" was the reply. hmmmmm......

It didn't matter as only one of our group may, possibly, might have, could have seen a hog. We went down there loaded with ammo- ready to throw up a skirmish line to beat back their attack.

But after 4 trips we decided to hunt our wild hogs in a nearby big city ( population 5000) . You get just as many hogs and you don't have to walk as far or carry your shooting iron....

My feeble attempt at humor shows how times have changed. Hogs have taken over many rural farms in other states but not too much here in Illinois. I am sure it has something to do with the high taxes and the hogs being unable to pay....

So back to the point... Hogs are disease carriers plain and simple. So you need to take precautions and really cook them.

I would like to trap one and feed it corn for 2 or 4 weeks. I would 'worm' it and maybe have the vet see if he could kill the bad stuff inside it before it volunteered to join me at breakfast.

What say you?

Banned
    Used to be a common practice, trapping wild hogs and taking them home to fatten them up in a pen...until Florida made it illegal to transport live feral hogs without a permit.
    You are allowed to do it on your own property, however. Build a catch-pen and put a feeder in it, acclimate the pigs to meal time every day, and then set the trap. I would personally target the piglets and build the walls just high enough to let the big ones jump over and out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    How the hell did we ever survive living 200 years ago?
    What has changed so drastically since then that we literally *fear* eating wild animals?
    Shaking my head and wondering if we aren’t all evolving into a candy-assed species doomed to failure by our own hand...
    Uh the idiots died and did not breed anymore unlike today?

Boolit Master

My daughters and I would consider it a sin to go above medium rare on deer stakes and loins. Ground meats, other than commercial beef must be at least medium well for me. In years past, that was medium rare. Some much flavor is lost in cooking meats to death. At 53, has not killed me yet and while I suppose it could I do not think it likely. I consider improper storage after cooking to be a bigger problem. Chicken, can hardly eat it cooked any way. If it has pink, I almost puke! But, I do love my gizzards and hearts!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Uh the idiots died and did not breed anymore unlike today?
    Does that make modern medicine a blessing...or a curse?

Boolit Master
    Both
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

wowowow. Read the guidelines. Buy a thermometer. Make good sausage, cook to temp, enjoy.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Watching for new data
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Well folks I am gong to be honest a nice young hog I have no problems with. I cook all pork to the recommended temperature. Wild or store bought. Now if we are talking about a big old boar I cant stomach them. We remove them from the heard if we see them but not many people can eat them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    This is absolutely correct. I might add that for DOMESTIC raised hogs the trichinae regulation/requirement by the USDA has been dropped since late last year. Irradiation, mentioned in an earlier post is considered an additive by the USDA and must declared on the label. In 35 years as an Inspector, I've never seen irradiation for pork, it however used frequently in pureed fruits/vegetables to control insects. There isn't any evidence of a chronic wasting disease in hogs. CWD in deer is not transmittable to humans.
    Over here you can buy tests you mail in to see if the meat is infected with trichinae. It's also illegal to sell or give away boar meat that has not been tested and most people test and destroy an infected carcass.
    Other than that the only concern I've heard of is the cesium radiation in the areas affected by Chernobyl.
    As a side note those areas have a special spring hunting season for roe buck because the meat gets more radiated from eating mushrooms in the autumn.

Vendor Sponsor

If it glows in the dark probably should not eat it
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    If it glows in the dark probably should not eat it
    D'oh!

Vendor Sponsor

Uncle bubba used to hunt near the Savannah River nuclear plant.
    His tests for irritated meat was to stick a light bulb directly to the meat. If it lit meat was bad
    Also used the radio test. On fm channel if radio got static when placed near the meat meat was declared bad.
    Of course he could see in the dark. Died at 37 and no flowers or grass grow on his grave to this day
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123