Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paid professional don't try this at home!

Paid professional don't try this at home!

A 69 cal RB cast from hardball alloy nestled in a Fed 12s3 wad will pass through a beretta 12ga FC without issue. Actually you can shoot at least 3 RBs through this fairly thin choke tube without damage. Probably best to check what tube is in the barrel before shooting.

BB

Boolit Master

oops! But hey, how was it for accuracy?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Hal,

The wads were shreaded but the 3 holes were perfectly round and for reason right next to each other. 30 yard target so not much to write home about.

BB

Whew.

While metal detecting around a 17-18th century farmhouse that is now part of a older generation military base,
    we found the double barrels from a old shotgun.

The barrels had been split, and one had a bulge like a egg half way down a snake.

Apparently someone had done the 'slug in a full choke' too, but not with very good results.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

If it was 17th or 18th century it wouldn't have a choke.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    If it was 17th or 18th century it wouldn't have a choke.
    The barrels weren't that old, it was a all rusted & rotten, but new enough to be a break open like we have now.

Not sure when the govt. took over the land, but being in Northern Virginia, it had lots of history.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    A 69 cal RB cast from hardball alloy nestled in a Fed 12s3 wad will pass through a beretta 12ga FC without issue. Actually you can shoot at least 3 RBs through this fairly thin choke tube without damage. Probably best to check what tube is in the barrel before shooting.

BB
    BB, thanks for that! I remember that you commented on using 69's in a shotcup successfully (not thru a FC) a while ago which started my current experiments with them. In the past I have used a FC tube in my 870 when hunting with factory-loaded Foster slugs, the FC was more accurate than any other choke in that gun! Nary a worry about damage to the gun but all the local "experts" told me I'd blow the end of the barrel off!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Imagine what life would be like without the "experts" ! If they had their way we would still be wondering why God made the earth flat. Twirling rocks in a sling. But maybe living far enough alone to try out the imagination and try.
    Sure am glad we are not "bound" to the regulations of those who never tried. Admiral Richover said " Our doubts are traitors and make us loose the good we oft might win by failing to attempt". That was as he was working on the first nuclear powered ship and not being much encouraged by our own U.S.Navy leaders.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Mike,

I was a US Navy "Nuc" back in the 70s and met the Admiral on two occassions. He was very bright and very driven to succeed.
    The second time i saw him he flew by copter to my ship while we were doing drills off the coast of Norfolk. Our CO knew he was coming and got the Nimitz to send a copter in to pickup his favorite gum drops and bring them to our ship before his arrival.

BB

Boolit Master

Kind of confused, The "Forcing cone" is at chamber actually in front of actualy. Choke tube is at the muzzle or very close. Which do you mean? Or do you mean factory choke or full choke? Very hard from the post.

FC = full choke.

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 06-09-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Last sentence was uncalled for - sorry

Boolit Master

Thank you

Boolit Grand Master

Ya know BB it might have been easier to just say that you decided to try the 0.690" RB in shotcup through a full choke to see what would happen.

I tell beginning archers when they miss the "bullseye" or kill zone that the response shouldn't be "Darn! I missed!" much better to say "I got that fly on his ear right between the eyes!" Of course one can't say it ain't so if another fly doesn't land to be a target. Kinda like trying to nail a politician down to an issue.

But don't feel bad, I know a guy who shot a 0.735" RB through a full choke! OOOOPS! indeed in that case. However, believe it or not he said there was no damage. I think that was a fixed full choke and no harder than ACWW RB but still that's a lot of squish!

I'd not want to try it intentionally or repeatedly however, a round ball has very little bearing surface so pretty easily squished for the first few thou anyway. In your case the plastic wad undoubtedly squished and extruded to allow the RB to pass through the choke. Hmmmm... a slo-mo shot of that at the muzzle might be interesting! Possibly ribbons of plastic preceding the RB?

Longbow

LB,

I posted this as a reminder (to myself) to keep my focus while shooting. My son was with me so i was a bit distracted. No excuse. Thing is i checked the full choke to make sure it was tight before shooting. The one little notch in the front of the tube went unacknowledged.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Ya know BB it might have been easier to just say that you decided to try the 0.690" RB in shotcup through a full choke to see what would happen.

I tell beginning archers when they miss the "bullseye" or kill zone that the response shouldn't be "Darn! I missed!" much better to say "I got that fly on his ear right between the eyes!" Of course one can't say it ain't so if another fly doesn't land to be a target. Kinda like trying to nail a politician down to an issue.

But don't feel bad, I know a guy who shot a 0.735" RB through a full choke! OOOOPS! indeed in that case. However, believe it or not he said there was no damage. I think that was a fixed full choke and no harder than ACWW RB but still that's a lot of squish!

I'd not want to try it intentionally or repeatedly however, a round ball has very little bearing surface so pretty easily squished for the first few thou anyway. In your case the plastic wad undoubtedly squished and extruded to allow the RB to pass through the choke. Hmmmm... a slo-mo shot of that at the muzzle might be interesting! Possibly ribbons of plastic preceding the RB?

Longbow
    I can just imagine if we could find a substance hard enough to load, and soft enough to actually swage [Sp?] though a tight muzzle: so you have a bore that progressively tightens to a small muzzle, and the projectile "plops" out at the end: a long, thin "thread" of a projectile at supersonic speeds...

Like a needle gun, only that the needle is extruded by the massive pressures squeezing the soft projectile through a reducing bore... Crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Y-man View Post
    I can just imagine if we could find a substance hard enough to load, and soft enough to actually swage [Sp?] though a tight muzzle: so you have a bore that progressively tightens to a small muzzle, and the projectile "plops" out at the end: a long, thin "thread" of a projectile at supersonic speeds...

Like a needle gun, only that the needle is extruded by the massive pressures squeezing the soft projectile through a reducing bore... Crazy...
    Please post video!

BB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Y-man View Post

Y-man, I have wondered the same thing many times!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Not that I would try it or approve of shooting the wrong ammo in a shotgun to see what would happen. There are videos on YouTube where two guys had a low priced old break action 410 single shot with a full choke ( fixed ).
    They measured the ID of the choke at the start and I believe it was .386 and they shot factory loaded 454 Casull ammo through the gun many times and verified that the holes in the target were not round, some of them went through the target sideways and were quite long.
    Besides the rounds being loaded to over 4 times the chamber pressure of a 410 shotshell and the bullet being around .066 larger than the choke ID the gun showed no damage and they measured the choke several times during the test and it did not change in size at all.
    Being the gun probably had a 3" chamber and the 454 being much shorter probably relieved a lot of the chamber pressure at firing but to swedge the larger bullet down a 410's bore and thru the choke you would think would damage the mild steel barrel on the shotgun.
    They did not shoot this gun from the shoulder, they had it held on a table and the trigger pulled with a string. The little 410 recoiled violently every shot but the action stayed closed and showed no apparent damage.

Jedman

Sounds like testing performed by Manny & Red at Profino Firearms.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Mike,

I was a US Navy "Nuc" back in the 70s and met the Admiral on two occassions. He was very bright and very driven to succeed.
    The second time i saw him he flew by copter to my ship while we were doing drills off the coast of Norfolk. Our CO knew he was coming and got the Nimitz to send a copter in to pickup his favorite gum drops and bring them to our ship before his arrival.

BB
    At FT. Hood our beloved 2nd Armored Division General demanded grits every morning. One morning the cook realized he did not have enough for the General and any possible visiting officers. So the General's aid at 5am took the General's private "chopper" to downtown Killen, Texas, landed in a grocery store parking lot and bought a case of grits for the General's mess hall Sargent who was ever so thankful.
    Our tank company had Division duty week at that time and our turret mechanic was serving the General's table when this all occurred. Jimmy hated the "job" so the next day dropped a butter knife down the neck of some high ranking Staff Officer and was quickly sent back to the tank park.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast